Sebastian Design

No Image

4.3

In a word - pretty.

This is a lovely, clean, not too sweet, white floral on a musky base. It lasts all day, has moderate sillage and can be worn in really hot weather without becoming cloying or overpowering. To my nose, it smells a lot like White Shoulders, without the lily or complex base notes. This makes it simpler, and probably easier to wear for some people than White Shoulders. It was given to me in Summer this year, and I wore it a number of times and really enjoyed it. On me, it bloomed in hot weather, being a touch insipid on my skin in cooler weather.

Because I already own and love White Shoulders, I got my mum to try it on, and it smells fantastic on her. For the record, the only other fragrance my mum wears is No. 5 by Chanel in the eau de parfum concentration. It went to a good home, and I have ticked yes to repurchasing, because I will definitely get another bottle of this for my mum when it runs out.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I receive more compliments when I wear this than any other perfume. I started wearing this when it first came out but I thought it was discontinued but I found a bottle on Ebay for less than 20.00 so I got it. The smell is as bella as ever. It is made with tuberose and it is such a nice, fresh scent. I enjoy this in the spring and summer. It has a very rare scent to it, nothing like anything else and the bottle is very elegant with a burgundy cap. I love it and will wear it as long as they sell it.

on 3/20/2015 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Love this -- always have. I've kept a bottle of Design on hand for years and always will (Casual also). I don't wear either very often now, since they're older, but they're as good as ever, and I pull each of them out on occasion and still enjoy them very much.

I've always loved *all* Paul Sebastian fragrances, it seems -- both Design and Casual -- and my dad & husband have both worn Paul Sebastian for Men (years ago), and I loved it on them. I'm sure it would be just as good now.

It's the light soft muskiness of Sebastian scents -- that's what I love about them. They all have a soft, clean, sensual, skin-musky quality in the base and the drydown. They meld with natural skin oils -- and the scent becomes warm, natural, and emanates from the wearer. This is the type of perfume I love most -- those with a soft, warm, musky sensuality.

Launched in 1985, here are the notes of Design, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Lilac, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Heart Notes - Carnation, Citric notes
Base Notes - Woody notes, Musky notes

Design is a soft, skin-musky, sensual, beautiful floral -- the kind that turns heads and makes you think "mmm". Signature worthy. Casual is also, and I've written a separate review for it. Both are quite inexpensive now at discounters and etailers.

I've been wearing this off and on for YEARS. It's my go to for work. I receive a lot of compliments from men and woman alike. When I tell them what it is and how inexpensive it is they can't believe it. It's a non complicated clean fresh scent that I think any woman at any age could pull off.

on 12/28/2010 8:06:00 PM

When I was in the 6th grade back in the 80's this is the fragrance all the cool, popular girls rocked (along with their treetorns). I have to admit, now that I'm in my 30's I have 2 bottles sitting on my dresser. I really love this stuff. It has a very unique smell. I don't know if it's because it's a staple from my teenage years or what but Design is one of a kind and I continue to douse myself in it. I get a lot of compliments when wearing it and most of the time people know what it is and ask "You're wearing Design, aren't you?" I just think it's a classic. I wear it during the day. It's incredibly inexpensive as well...never used to be. Anyway, if you liked "Exclamation" from the 80's you'll bathe yourself in this stuff.

on 2/15/2015 8:01:00 PM

I can still remember way back in the late '80s when I first smelled this fragrance from heaven on the lady cutting my hair. I assumed it was her shampoo or another hair product that was giving off this wonderful, clean smell, but alas! it was Design for Women. Although I was only 15 at the time, I knew I had to have it. After much saving (hey, it's hard to gather the then $30-something price as a 15 yr old!), I had my own bottle. I recently turned 40 and have been wearing it, and getting compliments on it, ever since. But rare is the bird who knows what it is that I'm wearing, and rarer still is another woman wearing it ~ PERFECT! It's like my own little secret. I don't know all of the fancy fragrance terminology to descibe it's high, mid, and low notes, I just know it smells "clean". Not overtly floral, not overtly musky. Equally lovely in both the heat of summer and on a frigid day. It lingers throughout the day (and onto my pillow that night), but isn't so powerful that it gives the wearer a perfume headache (ugh!). I live in fear of the inevitable day when Paul Sebastian decides to discontinue it :-( Until then, Design is my go-to fragrance. I've found the best deals on Design on eBay. Thanks for reading, and Blessed Be.

on 12/16/2009 3:57:00 PM

Love this, use to wear it in the 90's and just re discovered it. And since I hate all the generic smelling fragrances currently on the market, this is a breath of fresh air. It is aldehydic but not heavy like Chanel. I always get compliments when i wear this. I think it smells unique and intrigeing. Not everyone will like it because body chemistry is different with everyone.

on 11/4/2009 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

No joke--found the 15ml bottle at Big Lots for $3.00. Why don't they make scents like these anymore? I love the beautiful carnation note which gives it depth. This can be worn anytime. I'm in love. It smells less strong than White shoulders which also has a honeysuckle note.

It's great to wear because it is unique, not everyone is wearing it since it is an 80s fragrance. It may be 80s but it is a classic and will never go out of style.

Introduced in 1985. Fragrance notes: honeysuckle, spicy carnation, citrus, warm musky notes and rose. Recommended use: daytime.

While I have never purchased this scent I love smelling it on others. It is my aunts trademark scent and I find it very unique and lingeraing. I personally feel this is a perfume popular among women slighly older than myself so it might not be appealing to girls in their teens/twenties as much. I would definitely miss smelling this if my aunt ever switches, I will have to buy her more.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

**please note: the current version by EA Fragrances, being sold at discount outlets and online, is a dreadfully watered-down and generic-smelling travesty. To really appreciate Design, order the pure perfume in splash-on bottle or an older spray bottle made by French Fragrances, not EA.**

I am not a big fan of gardenia, but I make a huge exception for Design, because it's just plain fabulous. An underappreciated drugstore gem from 1985 that followed Giorgio Beverly Hills by just a few years, and could be considered its tasteful and discreet sister. Design is just pure fresh flowers, but not in the modern sense of air-freshener synthetics. It really does smell like a bouquet of dewy honeysuckle, gardenia, and tuberose. The overall effect is fresh and soothing, but with real presence. Design is never cloying or overly sweet (something Giorgio and Fracas can't claim). It kind of reminds me of the smell of Aussie Sprunch Spray, another '80s memory... only better and more classy.

Design is fresh, feminine, extremely well-made, and strikes a perfect balance between discretion and style. It has gorgeous sillage. But please try it in vintage version, there is no substitute! I keep mine in the fridge.

Popular Fragrances