CHANEL No.5

CHANEL No.5

3.5

on 10/27/2018 11:10:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

Years ago I thought this was wonderful, always tested it in stores and when I finally purchased the big bottle I found it included a strong smell akin to rubbing alcohol. I think I got a bad batch or the recipe was changed drastically. Very disappointed, I thought of reselling but didn't in-case it is a bad batch.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

What can I say? I can't pass up a bargain! As I was cashing out at the Shoppers Beauty Boutique last week, I saw several packages of No.5 MARKED DOWN!!!! ON SALE!!! The cosmetics lady explained that they were changing the bottle size so these 30 ml spray bottles were being cleared out. Fifty bucks and I paid 30 of it with Optimum points! For a bottle that used to be sold for close to $100! Now, I've never been a No.5 girl; No.19 is really the only Chanel fragrance I love. And I don't know that I'd repurchase No.5 again - it's nice and fairly inoffensive but I'm not crazy about it. The bottle is gorgeous and the lid is such a nice, heavy, solid block of style. For $20, I cannot quibble.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is my favorite perfume. I mostly use the Chanel no5 EDT (1921) as this comes closest to how my beautiful mother use to smell. I tried the EDP (1986) but it is too harsh, too sharp and too spicy. The perfume is the best of course but also the most expensive. I have read several times that people think this is an old lady smell. Hello?!?! It is not!!!

Don't go by the initial first spray of Chanel no5 as the dry down is where the magic begins. I like to spray the EDT on my neck and on my clothes a bit so that the smell stays the entire day. And all through the day the different layers/smells of roses, jasmine, aldehydes, Ylang, Ylang, Neroli, civet, bergamot etc. are being released. This perfume makes me feel happy, feminine, luxurious, sexy, stylish, classic, beautiful, confident and timeless. They do not make perfumes like this anymore. The smell is also woody and powdery. Which is great for me as I do not like a flowery perfume or smell like a vanilla cookie which seems to be a trend lately.

Due to silly new EU law regulations regarding perfumes (such as "1 in a million people might develop a rash from this ingredient") many classic smells had to reformulate their masterpieces. They are using more synthetic ingredients now and the perfumes smells different today. Nevertheless, Chanel no 5 remains the most magical, mystical and legendary perfume ever!

I wear this all the time but on hot summer days it is great to use Roma by Laura Biagiotti. That one has a great dry-down as well.

on 2/11/2018 10:52:00 PM

I am a perfume collector with TONS of knowledge and experience with fragrance. Here's my take on Chanel No. 5's timeless popularity: It's safe. It's clean, inoffensive, mediocre silage... mediocre everything really, so it's never the wrong choice for any occasion. It's never going to be the best choice either in my opinion, because it's really just not that interesting. lol But it really is curiously difficult to go "wrong" with it.
You could wear it with jeans and a Tee or a $5,000 lady-boss business suit.

Then there's it's "status." Some people simply wanna be able to say they're wearing Chanel so they can pretend they're better than everyone else. lol I got news for you, Chanel Isn't even CLOSE to the best fragrance house. Between it's safeness and it's notoriety, I honestly believe that's why it maintains its popularity. Because ANY woman can wear this. Who minds smelling clean, rich and Iconic?

I own a bottle for days I need to smell safe and boring.

on 1/19/2018 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I will not repurchase

on 11/30/2017 4:08:00 PM

Only the extrait concentration is close to the real thing, and I keep on buying some vintage bottles. EDT and EDP are certainly still elegant fragrances - far better than the sad new Gabrielle - yet they are not exactly Chanel 5 due to regulatory nonsenses that push brands to ruin masterpieces.

on 9/22/2017 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Channel number 5 used to be my mom's favourite until formulation was changed to add synthetic fragrance. People like my mom know the difference right away. Chanel, why? Is it because the bees are dying? Now we like to use essential oils from trusted sources. We stopped buying department store fragrances unless we know it is all natural .Why pay money for contributors of hormonal imbalance? We only buy perfumes that are 100% natural. We still have leftover fragrances from purchases of decades ago and samples.

on 5/25/2017 4:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

It's worth the money so I'm not going to complain about the price! I'm a 50's girl at heart and this perfume has stuck by me since I brought my first bottle when I was 18! Absolute love! 💕💕💕

on 4/17/2017 7:28:00 PM

Like almost every woman alive, I love this perfume!

Beautiful scent, very feminine and sexy. Whenever I wear it, everyone in the room turns around to try to detect the source of the smell.

The staying power is great - lasts all day and all night without reapplying throughout the day.

It is pricey, but it is Chanel, and one of the most popular and loved perfume ever, so it's worth every penny.

Repurchase? Yes.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

The first time I smelled this I hated it. I thought it smelled like a port o potty. I retested this fragrance in Sephora, well actually I tried the Eau Premiere and I fell in love. I bought the no. 5 lotion and layered it with the no 5 eau premiere. eventually, I just HAD to get the original no 5 and I wear this every day. it is the best scent, it smells so clean and good and it smells even better layered with the lotion. i recommend trying this on yourself vs. just spraying it on a tester because it dries down different on everybody!

Popular Fragrances