CHANEL No.5

CHANEL No.5

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is my favorite perfume. I mostly use the Chanel no5 EDT (1921) as this comes closest to how my beautiful mother use to smell. I tried the EDP (1986) but it is too harsh, too sharp and too spicy. The perfume is the best of course but also the most expensive. I have read several times that people think this is an old lady smell. Hello?!?! It is not!!!

Don't go by the initial first spray of Chanel no5 as the dry down is where the magic begins. I like to spray the EDT on my neck and on my clothes a bit so that the smell stays the entire day. And all through the day the different layers/smells of roses, jasmine, aldehydes, Ylang, Ylang, Neroli, civet, bergamot etc. are being released. This perfume makes me feel happy, feminine, luxurious, sexy, stylish, classic, beautiful, confident and timeless. They do not make perfumes like this anymore. The smell is also woody and powdery. Which is great for me as I do not like a flowery perfume or smell like a vanilla cookie which seems to be a trend lately.

Due to silly new EU law regulations regarding perfumes (such as "1 in a million people might develop a rash from this ingredient") many classic smells had to reformulate their masterpieces. They are using more synthetic ingredients now and the perfumes smells different today. Nevertheless, Chanel no 5 remains the most magical, mystical and legendary perfume ever!

I wear this all the time but on hot summer days it is great to use Roma by Laura Biagiotti. That one has a great dry-down as well.

on 2/11/2018 10:52:00 PM

I am a perfume collector with TONS of knowledge and experience with fragrance. Here's my take on Chanel No. 5's timeless popularity: It's safe. It's clean, inoffensive, mediocre silage... mediocre everything really, so it's never the wrong choice for any occasion. It's never going to be the best choice either in my opinion, because it's really just not that interesting. lol But it really is curiously difficult to go "wrong" with it.
You could wear it with jeans and a Tee or a $5,000 lady-boss business suit.

Then there's it's "status." Some people simply wanna be able to say they're wearing Chanel so they can pretend they're better than everyone else. lol I got news for you, Chanel Isn't even CLOSE to the best fragrance house. Between it's safeness and it's notoriety, I honestly believe that's why it maintains its popularity. Because ANY woman can wear this. Who minds smelling clean, rich and Iconic?

I own a bottle for days I need to smell safe and boring.

on 1/19/2018 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I will not repurchase

on 11/30/2017 4:08:00 PM

Only the extrait concentration is close to the real thing, and I keep on buying some vintage bottles. EDT and EDP are certainly still elegant fragrances - far better than the sad new Gabrielle - yet they are not exactly Chanel 5 due to regulatory nonsenses that push brands to ruin masterpieces.

on 9/22/2017 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Channel number 5 used to be my mom's favourite until formulation was changed to add synthetic fragrance. People like my mom know the difference right away. Chanel, why? Is it because the bees are dying? Now we like to use essential oils from trusted sources. We stopped buying department store fragrances unless we know it is all natural .Why pay money for contributors of hormonal imbalance? We only buy perfumes that are 100% natural. We still have leftover fragrances from purchases of decades ago and samples.

on 5/25/2017 4:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

It's worth the money so I'm not going to complain about the price! I'm a 50's girl at heart and this perfume has stuck by me since I brought my first bottle when I was 18! Absolute love! 💕💕💕

on 4/17/2017 7:28:00 PM

Like almost every woman alive, I love this perfume!

Beautiful scent, very feminine and sexy. Whenever I wear it, everyone in the room turns around to try to detect the source of the smell.

The staying power is great - lasts all day and all night without reapplying throughout the day.

It is pricey, but it is Chanel, and one of the most popular and loved perfume ever, so it's worth every penny.

Repurchase? Yes.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

The first time I smelled this I hated it. I thought it smelled like a port o potty. I retested this fragrance in Sephora, well actually I tried the Eau Premiere and I fell in love. I bought the no. 5 lotion and layered it with the no 5 eau premiere. eventually, I just HAD to get the original no 5 and I wear this every day. it is the best scent, it smells so clean and good and it smells even better layered with the lotion. i recommend trying this on yourself vs. just spraying it on a tester because it dries down different on everybody!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Can I start by calling this BAE :) Such a good product and the fragrance is perfect for when it's time to go out at night. I LOVE this fragrance!

I clearly remember smelling this perfume when I was in my early 20s. Back then I thought, "what the heck is so great about it that makes it so pricey". I guess complex perfume is also an acquired taste.

There are different versions of the Chanel No.5 perfume, and this review is specifically about the classic EAU DE PARFUM version. I smelled all versions in the shop. Only this one captured me.

It's hard to put my hands on what exactly this perfume smells like. By that I mean, it hard for one to describe what are the ingredients inside this perfume. The whole smell forms one compound, which might have something to do with one of the main ingredients--aldehydes--being completely synthetic.

The smell to me is feminine, classic, elegant and clean at the same time. To some people, it might be too "old school" (Smell is a highly individualistic thing. It really depends on what you like.). The smell of this perfume reminds me of a lady, not just someone with a mild mannerism, but also someone with independent thoughts and have had adventurous endeavors in her life. (Think about Madame Coco Chanel duh.)

What I like about the smell the most is that it's not too sharp or overpowering. We've all encountered people who would walk into an elevator and by the time all people get out of the elevator, everyone takes away a bit of that person's perfume. To me, that is too intrusive. This perfume does not do that. It's tasteful and unobtrusive.

Regarding longevity, I've found that it stays longer on fabric than on my skin. So I always spray once or twice on my clothes every morning. By the end of the day, it will fade to something more subtle.

I bought the perfume in the travel-friendly packaging. It comes with a beautiful sleek bottle with a twist-up cap, which already houses 20ml of the product. The set also comes with another two 20ml refills. So in total you will get 60ml of the product and a bottle. I think I like this convenient and slightly modern packaging better than the classic glass bottle.

Sorry for writing a pretty disorganized review. I realized that a review of a perfume was never going to be as helpful as a review of a makeup product, because all I can do is throwing subjective descriptions of the smell...OK I just wanted to rave about this perfume I guess. If you are looking for something classic, lady-like and elegant, give this a sniff. You might be mesmerized like I was.

Popular Fragrances