CHANEL No.5

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
CHANEL No.5

3.6

on 1/13/2018 12:03:00 PM

My mom used to love and wear this fragrance and I wanted to also, but it does not work on me. The civet in this really shines through on me and it reminds me of cat pee on my skin. Smells wonderful on my sister, but me - yuck.

I gave this a 4 simply for the fact that it can come off as strong and overwhelming at first spray.

When I originally received this from my mother and tried it I though “old lady” perfume. But you have to let this fragrance settle and mellow to see how it truly shines. It has a mellow sweetness to it complimented with an array of musk, woody, floral scents. It’s not for everyone but it has grown on me. I would wear this on a night out when I want to feel sophisticated. Instead of saying it’s “old lady” it would be better to describe it as saying “it’s not for little girls”

I probably wouldn’t buy it again because of the price.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I loved this at first, now it's a bit too synthetic for my liking :( it's got a powdery smell that I got over pretty quickly

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Smelling vintage No. 5 is like sniffing a fine wine to me. I'm not a fan of aldehydes and never have been, we don't get along too well, nor am I particularly fond of a perfume that is too heavy on the florals. But sniffing No. 5 is a whole new ballgame.
I was introduced to it as a child by my mother, and it wasn't my favorite. As a young adult, I was gifted it, and again, I just put it aside, not really appreciating it. I just have always leaned towards the oriental or gourmand side. I knew this was a hugely popular perfume and there had to be something to it, so why didn't I enjoy it?
A few years ago, a neighbor's mother passed away. She was in her 80's. One day, he handed me a carton of her perfumes, telling me he didn't know what to do with them. I took them, thanking him, not knowing what I would find in the box. After all, his mom was an older woman, so I knew there would be some interesting choices in there.
Lo and behold, there it was. Chanel No. 5, staring me in the face. Again. Daring me to pick it up and smell it. But this time, when I uncapped the Edt, something miraculous happened. The vintage inside that I swirled around was captivating. It had matured like a fine wine. It had such a heady aroma, I couldn't stop sniffing. This stuff smelled good.
The aldehydes have muted somewhat, allowing the civet to come to the forefront along with the vetiver. There's more earthiness to it that wraps around the florals too, but those florals will always be strong. There's also a muskiness that seems to overwrap the whole perfume. The woods come into play in the last phases along with a mild vanilla that surprises. It's strong with the real civet. And, you have to be a civet lover to understand the beauty of it.
It's not a perfume to be taken lightly, it's one to be revered and worn at the pulse points. It's not a body spray or a fragrance mist. Chanel No. 5 is a mature perfume that warrants a mature nose that appreciates it.
How does it compare to today's? If anyone has sampled the formulations of today, they know it is a far cry from the vintage. More like an empty room missing pieces of its furniture.
If you're not an aldehydes or floral fan, this one's not for you. Pass go, keep your $200 and buy something else. There are plenty of perfumes in our world to sample and enjoy. But most definitely, if you do want to try it, stick to the vintage.

This perfume is really nice I do enjoy wearing it out to dinner with my boyfriend. He says he really likes it too.

on 3/11/2015 12:24:00 PM

This perfume should be named "essence of grandma". It smells old and powdery. Simply horrific!

on 3/2/2015 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

if you are under 30 it may be too mature for you just like Chanel fashion is. It's a great classic scent not at all floral-more musky...definitely strong and lasting. I suggest using the bath gels over the stronger perfume. They are decadent and strong but don't leave such a strong scent behind.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

My No. 5 perfume literally spoiled and went sour because I couldn't bear to use it over the course of a few years. What a shame to waste such a pricey bottle of juice. All I can say is I'm one for unique, sexy, and sophisticated fragrances that nobody around me wears or can pinpoint. This one is old lady trapped in a bottle. I don't care if it's Chanel, which I covet. Men hate it and it gives me a headache.

on 11/18/2014 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

It took me years to purchase and appreciate this wonderful fragrance. I started sampling No 5 in my early thirties, and it wasn't until 34 that I really started to appreciate this. I never thought that this ever smelled old lady, but I could see how it might be too "mature" smelling for some, or possibly outdated. I do think that my body chemistry and tastes have changed, because anything marketed to 20 somethings or even early 30 somethings does nothing for me anymore, or just smells "off" when I'm wearing it. Even the younger Chanel fragrances like Coco Mademoiselle and Chance are too "young" smelling for me.

I recently stopped wearing any modern fragrances for several reasons. First, longevity is terrible for most fragrances made within the last ten to fifteen years. Second, many of the modern ones are all too common smelling. Thirdly, the classics became classics for a reason. They really do have a timeless appeal to them.

Back to No 5, I wear the EDP. I haven't tried the EDT yet. The EDP is a complex, sophisticated, luxurious smelling perfume on me. This smells powdery on me, but also has other notes to balance it out. It doesn't smell like one note more than another--the formula blends perfectly. This is pure class, elegance, sophistication. I do use a light hand when spraying this, just so it wears close to me, so I'm able to pull this off as an office perfume. I can see how over spraying any perfume just ruins it. Less is more with this one. It's pricey, but a little goes a long way and I probably end up spending less money being that I don't have to use a lot.

Falling in love with No 5.....

on 10/17/2014 9:45:00 PM

I tried this perfume because my grandma gave it to me. Smelled just like her. I mean, it's not like it smells bad I just associate that smell with her. Maybe it's too.. sophisticated for my tastes.