CHANEL No.5

CHANEL No.5

3.6

on 10/27/2018 11:10:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

Years ago I thought this was wonderful, always tested it in stores and when I finally purchased the big bottle I found it included a strong smell akin to rubbing alcohol. I think I got a bad batch or the recipe was changed drastically. Very disappointed, I thought of reselling but didn't in-case it is a bad batch.

Je l'ai acheté cela comme 1 de mes premiers parfums « sérieux » ai acheté pour moi ne peut pas dire que j'ai vraiment apprécié quand j'avais 20 ans. Maintenant que je suis 26, je peux tout à fait apprécier cette chose extraordinaire qui EST chanel pas. 5 C'est soapiness et propre propreté de Chanel à côté roseraie de cette odeurs comme la piété luxe. C'est un beau parfum féminin, je pense que « peut » prendre l'âge d'apprécier. J'ai le savon aussi. Ça sent comme la peau fraîchement douchés et lotion. Sexy!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

What can I say? I can't pass up a bargain! As I was cashing out at the Shoppers Beauty Boutique last week, I saw several packages of No.5 MARKED DOWN!!!! ON SALE!!! The cosmetics lady explained that they were changing the bottle size so these 30 ml spray bottles were being cleared out. Fifty bucks and I paid 30 of it with Optimum points! For a bottle that used to be sold for close to $100! Now, I've never been a No.5 girl; No.19 is really the only Chanel fragrance I love. And I don't know that I'd repurchase No.5 again - it's nice and fairly inoffensive but I'm not crazy about it. The bottle is gorgeous and the lid is such a nice, heavy, solid block of style. For $20, I cannot quibble.

on 4/22/2018 8:58:00 PM

Original review deleted & resubmitted 22nd April 2018 to reflect Chanel No 5 presently.
I feel incredibly strongly about Chanel No 5. the original - not the flankers. Thanks for reading. Very Loyal Chanel customer but I have my opinions.

Chanel No 5 is a true classic . It is what I called The Golden Ratio in Scent . Everything about it was / is ( i guess even , after the reformulation ) perfect / almost - to me.
EDT is my favorite formulation and I have gone through bottles and bottles of it. Today's verison is vastly thinner and less long lasting than even the old Cologne version. It has been reformulated but I still buy because after all the serious gutting of this scent, this is practically my ONLY reminder of the the true majesty of Chanel No .5 & what it USED to be.

EDP - a 1980s version by Jacque Polge - also very beautiful but recently quite gutted by the reformulations. Less ylang, more vanilla , less substantial in general and poorer tenacity, thinner in general, the scent profile is not quite the same. The EDP was also a veritable joy ..now , not so much. However, as with the EDT , I buy what is available .....

If you are going to do this to Le Monstre ( No. 5 ) - to save / make money , Chanel ..please release your new version of Chanel No 5 Eau de Parfum Intense.( Like you did with Coco Mademosielle . )

The parfum extrait was also beyond beauty .It was as the most wonderful version of No .5 - golden, bright ,full bodied, 3 dimensional.. like very fine champagne , deep and long lasting. Truly magnificent. I have no words to describe it really.
There was a valid reason for its fame and ability to last so many decades as a top seller world wide. I once declared I would only ever buy the extrait again ..not any more .

Today , it is weak , alcoholic, soft, missing a lot of neroli ,citrus and a helluva lot more vanilla added to the base. It smells closer to the new reformulated EDP .
The last good parfum extrait I had was made in 2011. The 30 ml bottle I have was made in 2014. It is not the same.

***********My message to Chanel .
All your customers who buy Chanel No 5 are not dead yet.
We maybe be older but we do know Chanel No .5 because a lot of us have worn it like a second skin for decades.
You try & attract a younger demographic which is fine but don't forget your roots. Use some of the great scent technology to... at least try and restore No 5 to what it was. Classic No 5. NOT your L'eau ,Eau Premiere and whatever you will think up next .

In efforts to Join The Young Club , you are watering down No .5 and more importantly , you are changing Chanel No .5 far too much through your reformulations.
Preserve, not alter. Educate , do not alter Chanel No 5 to the whims of fragrance fashion of this century.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is my favorite perfume. I mostly use the Chanel no5 EDT (1921) as this comes closest to how my beautiful mother use to smell. I tried the EDP (1986) but it is too harsh, too sharp and too spicy. The perfume is the best of course but also the most expensive. I have read several times that people think this is an old lady smell. Hello?!?! It is not!!!

Don't go by the initial first spray of Chanel no5 as the dry down is where the magic begins. I like to spray the EDT on my neck and on my clothes a bit so that the smell stays the entire day. And all through the day the different layers/smells of roses, jasmine, aldehydes, Ylang, Ylang, Neroli, civet, bergamot etc. are being released. This perfume makes me feel happy, feminine, luxurious, sexy, stylish, classic, beautiful, confident and timeless. They do not make perfumes like this anymore. The smell is also woody and powdery. Which is great for me as I do not like a flowery perfume or smell like a vanilla cookie which seems to be a trend lately.

Due to silly new EU law regulations regarding perfumes (such as "1 in a million people might develop a rash from this ingredient") many classic smells had to reformulate their masterpieces. They are using more synthetic ingredients now and the perfumes smells different today. Nevertheless, Chanel no 5 remains the most magical, mystical and legendary perfume ever!

I wear this all the time but on hot summer days it is great to use Roma by Laura Biagiotti. That one has a great dry-down as well.

on 2/11/2018 10:52:00 PM

I am a perfume collector with TONS of knowledge and experience with fragrance. Here's my take on Chanel No. 5's timeless popularity: It's safe. It's clean, inoffensive, mediocre silage... mediocre everything really, so it's never the wrong choice for any occasion. It's never going to be the best choice either in my opinion, because it's really just not that interesting. lol But it really is curiously difficult to go "wrong" with it.
You could wear it with jeans and a Tee or a $5,000 lady-boss business suit.

Then there's it's "status." Some people simply wanna be able to say they're wearing Chanel so they can pretend they're better than everyone else. lol I got news for you, Chanel Isn't even CLOSE to the best fragrance house. Between it's safeness and it's notoriety, I honestly believe that's why it maintains its popularity. Because ANY woman can wear this. Who minds smelling clean, rich and Iconic?

I own a bottle for days I need to smell safe and boring.

on 1/19/2018 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I will not repurchase

on 1/13/2018 12:03:00 PM

My mom used to love and wear this fragrance and I wanted to also, but it does not work on me. The civet in this really shines through on me and it reminds me of cat pee on my skin. Smells wonderful on my sister, but me - yuck.

I gave this a 4 simply for the fact that it can come off as strong and overwhelming at first spray.

When I originally received this from my mother and tried it I though “old lady” perfume. But you have to let this fragrance settle and mellow to see how it truly shines. It has a mellow sweetness to it complimented with an array of musk, woody, floral scents. It’s not for everyone but it has grown on me. I would wear this on a night out when I want to feel sophisticated. Instead of saying it’s “old lady” it would be better to describe it as saying “it’s not for little girls”

I probably wouldn’t buy it again because of the price.

on 11/30/2017 4:08:00 PM

Only the extrait concentration is close to the real thing, and I keep on buying some vintage bottles. EDT and EDP are certainly still elegant fragrances - far better than the sad new Gabrielle - yet they are not exactly Chanel 5 due to regulatory nonsenses that push brands to ruin masterpieces.

Video Reviews & Tutorials