Chanel No.5

Chanel No.5

3.6

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

LOVE this perfume. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd buy so many bottles! Smells amazing, doesn't last as long as I'd like it to, but it does go a few hours for me, longer on clothing.

on 4/24/2015 9:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

The thing with Chanel No 5 is that it really is acquired taste, especially on our time when the sweetest the fragrance the most acceptable from the general population.

There is also much talk about how reformulations ruined the once glorious No 5 so I got a vintage splash bottle of Eau de Cologne recently waiting for some kind of revelation like the one I had after experiencing both vintage Samsara and the current one. The opening is holy aldehydes galore and with prominent lemon and bergamot. As it evolves on the skin it becomes more powdery but not overpowering. There is noticeable musk at the drydown and it's incredibly well blended so I can't pinpoint individual notes but it never really warms up before fading.

That said, I appreciate it as piece of history since Chanel No 5 was something really novel for the time - and still very elegant in a tender, nostalgic way - but I'm mainly an oriental lover and my Chanel will always be Coco EDP. No 5 just feels totally out of place on my skin. It really is a fragrance for a true lady. Just not this lady ;)

on 12/22/2012 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Add me to the list of ladies (and gents?) that LOVE the iconic No. 5 fragrance. I even have a huge framed poster of Marilyn Monroe holding a bottle of it in my bedroom :D
When I was younger (and stupid..) I foolishly sold a full size bottle of this on eBay because I didn't like it. (My aunt gifted it to me). I sincerely regret it! It's now one of my favorite perfumes.
I think it smells classy and not at all old lady like but I can see how many people would think that. In the beginning and especially if overused it can smell heavy and oriental? like but I make sure to use it only sparingly during the day as it has the potential to knock you over. I love how it dries down to a nice powdery smell. Definitely still a classic.
If my review helped you, click yes below!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I love this...pricey, but no complaints. Sophisticated smell. Not everyone can handle the heaviness of it, and there is a time and place to wear it. Apply sparingly. =)

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Ok, youngsters, let's get our facts straight before panning this exquisite classic. Chanel No. 5 debuted in the 1920's. The nose behind the perfume was Ernest Beaux. Google it.

Though I no longer wear it, I remember dating an incredibly handsome actor years ago who went absolutely crazy every time I wore it. And no, even though it was my own grandmother's signature scent, it didn't remind him of his mother. Eau Premiere is a great choice for younger women who want a lighter, fizzier version of the original. It has a bit of vanilla and citrus to lighten things up. Fragrance tastes have changed drastically over the past century, but love ot or hate it, Chanel 5 will still be here after we're ALL long gone.

on 7/27/2012 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Other people have described Chanel No 5 flawless so I'll take a slightly different approach. Reading over the reviews I notice one thing: it seems younger reviewers (whether your current age or in the past when you first smelled it) do not care for this. It takes a refined nose - and smelling and wearing a lot of inferior scents - to appreciate #5. It is the fortunate lady who has liked this from youth!

A little bit of my perfume history... I have always been a white floral fragrance girl. Especially jasmine. I've worn Fracas, Michael Kors, Joy, Kai, Child and KM's pikaki lei in turn and loved them all. I've strayed a bit too into other territories like Angel, EA's Green Tea or Egyptian Musk but I always come back to jasmine. I liked Joy (similar in composition to Chanel No 5 being based around roses and jasmine) but something about the base notes in it don't quite sit right with my chemistry. Enter No 5. I love everything about it! Starting with the story behind its creation.

(taken from the Chanel No 5 Wikipedia page) Talking about the creator of the fragrance, Ernest Beaux...

"The polar ice, frigid seascape, and whiteness of the snowy terrain sparked his desire to capture the crisp fragrance of this landscape into a new perfume compound. Beaux perfected what was to become Chanel No. 5 over several months in the late summer and autumn of 1920. He worked from the rose and jasmine base of Rallet No. 1. altering it to make it cleaner, more daring, reminiscent of the pristine polar freshness he had inhabited during his war years. He experimented with modern synthetics, adding his own invention "Rose E. B" and notes derived from a new jasmine source, a commercial ingredient called Jasophore. The revamped, complex formula also ramped up the quantities of orris-iris-root and natural musks.

The revolutionary key was Beauxs use of aldehydes. Aldehydes are organic compounds of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. They are manipulated in the laboratory at crucial stages of chemical reaction whereby the process arrests and isolates the scent. When used creatively, aldehydes act as "seasonings," an aroma booster. Beauxs student, Constantin Weriguine, said the aldehyde Beaux used had the clean note of the arctic, "a melting winter note." Legend has it that this wondrous concoction was the inadvertent result of a laboratory mishap. A laboratory assistant, mistaking a full strength mixture for a ten percent dilution, had jolted the compound with a dose of aldehyde in quantity never before used. Beaux prepared ten glass vials for Chanels inspection. Numbered 15 then 2024, the gap presented the core May rose, jasmine and aldehydes in two complementary series, each group a variation of the compound. "Number five. Yes," Chanel said later, "that is what I was waiting for. A perfume like nothing else. A womans perfume, with the scent of a woman." "

I couldn't agree more! It's crisp and refreshing yet floral and sensual too. Now let me talk about the differences (at least to my nose and chemistry) between the different formulations.

Parfum: the classic, magical original. Get this if you can afford it. Save your pennies if you can't. The smallest bottle currently starts at a $120 and a few drops is all you need.

EDP: this is the budget version of the parfum as, on my skin, it smells closest to the original. (Some people say the EDT is closer but that's personal chemistry).

EDT: a more "shimmering" version of the original. It seems like it has more aldehydes or something in it. It smells almost like champagne to me - in the best sense. Fades very quickly on me. Try this to see if it works for you.

Eau Premiere: this really is a completely different perfume. It smells like it has fruit and white musk added to the original and maybe some aldehydes taken out. I could see how this could appeal to younger people. But, ironically enough, given their protests to the powder smell (orris root), it dries down on me to a pretty solid powdery finish.

I haven't tried the sensual elixir but it seems pretty popular so you might try that formulation.

Bottom line, this fragrance is a masterpiece that at the very least deserves respect even if you decide you don't love it. Keep sniffing it, try the different formulations, and keep in mind the climate you live in as well as your skin chemistry. (One frangrance will smell one way in me but completely different when I travel to another climate so beware of that). This is as much of an old lady fragrance as a Chanel purse. It's a classic for everybody!
EDIT: I do love this perfume, and I *might* repurchase but I think Child is still my HG!

on 4/5/2011 9:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

i really wanted to like this!but honestly it has an awful smell.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Great perfume, my favorite that I've smelled.
I'm not much of a perfume girl but this one is wonderful. I don't understand the 'old lady' name associated with it, just because it is classic and well known.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Oh indeed, mushymamma did nail this product on the head.

No. 5 chose me two years ago. I had always lusted after it, and finally saved up my pennies and bought a bottle just after my 25th birthday.

Wearing Chanel No. 5 is like an event. Every time I wear it, someone inevitably comes up to me in the store, or wherever I happen to be, and tells me that I smell just like their mother, or sister, or aunt, and thanks me for wearing the perfume and reminding them of one of their favorite scents.

As for the scent itself, mushymamma's description of roses, jasmine, vanilla and just something... more... is probably the closest I myself could come to describing it. It's a rich, beautiful, classic scent that lingers all day. I simply love smelling it all around me when I'm wearing this perfume. And I love being part of a classic institution of beauty when I have it on.

Chanel No. 5 will be my go-to scent for the rest of my life! Mushymamma was right - when it chooses you, wonderful things are in store for you!

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This isn't as terrible as some people make it out it be. I don't like powdery scents and this, while light, is heavy on the powder.

Popular Fragrances