Chanel No.5

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Chanel No.5

3.6

I have always enjoyed floral frangrances and I found the 50ml eau de toilette at Costco for CAD$59 and I could not pass it up.

I'll admit that although I have been lusting after this for years I was hesitant to buy it because of the "old grandmother" stigma associated with this Chanel classic. I now regret wait for so long. It smells just like jasmine and powder, so timelessly classic, luxurious and elegant and alluring.

The packaging is just gorgeous, like all things Chanel. I think I'm hooked for life.

on 4/17/2017 7:28:00 PM

Like almost every woman alive, I love this perfume!

Beautiful scent, very feminine and sexy. Whenever I wear it, everyone in the room turns around to try to detect the source of the smell.

The staying power is great - lasts all day and all night without reapplying throughout the day.

It is pricey, but it is Chanel, and one of the most popular and loved perfume ever, so it's worth every penny.

Repurchase? Yes.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Meh. I hate to say that, but just meh. My husband likes this and he bought it for me so I wear it for him because I don't want to hurt his feelings, but I would not buy it for myself. To me it's very boring and one-dimensional. I smell "generic rose" and that's pretty much it. And it doesn't last long either, at least on me. Granted, I have the eau de toilette, but if I had a longer-lasting version I don't think I'd feel any better about it, because then I would just smell boring longer. Honestly I'm not really sure how it's going to be such a classic. Maybe because it's not offensive. Don't get me wrong: #5 doesn't smell bad; it just doesn't smell interesting to me, and I prefer more interesting perfumes. Especially for what it costs.

I clearly remember smelling this perfume when I was in my early 20s. Back then I thought, "what the heck is so great about it that makes it so pricey". I guess complex perfume is also an acquired taste.

There are different versions of the Chanel No.5 perfume, and this review is specifically about the classic EAU DE PARFUM version. I smelled all versions in the shop. Only this one captured me.

It's hard to put my hands on what exactly this perfume smells like. By that I mean, it hard for one to describe what are the ingredients inside this perfume. The whole smell forms one compound, which might have something to do with one of the main ingredients--aldehydes--being completely synthetic.

The smell to me is feminine, classic, elegant and clean at the same time. To some people, it might be too "old school" (Smell is a highly individualistic thing. It really depends on what you like.). The smell of this perfume reminds me of a lady, not just someone with a mild mannerism, but also someone with independent thoughts and have had adventurous endeavors in her life. (Think about Madame Coco Chanel duh.)

What I like about the smell the most is that it's not too sharp or overpowering. We've all encountered people who would walk into an elevator and by the time all people get out of the elevator, everyone takes away a bit of that person's perfume. To me, that is too intrusive. This perfume does not do that. It's tasteful and unobtrusive.

Regarding longevity, I've found that it stays longer on fabric than on my skin. So I always spray once or twice on my clothes every morning. By the end of the day, it will fade to something more subtle.

I bought the perfume in the travel-friendly packaging. It comes with a beautiful sleek bottle with a twist-up cap, which already houses 20ml of the product. The set also comes with another two 20ml refills. So in total you will get 60ml of the product and a bottle. I think I like this convenient and slightly modern packaging better than the classic glass bottle.

Sorry for writing a pretty disorganized review. I realized that a review of a perfume was never going to be as helpful as a review of a makeup product, because all I can do is throwing subjective descriptions of the smell...OK I just wanted to rave about this perfume I guess. If you are looking for something classic, lady-like and elegant, give this a sniff. You might be mesmerized like I was.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I just purchased the Chanel No.5 body oil and I am in loooove!! I'm sad that it's limited edition thou because I would love to be able to repurchase when I run out of this bottle. Here is my video that includes this lovely product:

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Smelling vintage No. 5 is like sniffing a fine wine to me. I'm not a fan of aldehydes and never have been, we don't get along too well, nor am I particularly fond of a perfume that is too heavy on the florals. But sniffing No. 5 is a whole new ballgame.
I was introduced to it as a child by my mother, and it wasn't my favorite. As a young adult, I was gifted it, and again, I just put it aside, not really appreciating it. I just have always leaned towards the oriental or gourmand side. I knew this was a hugely popular perfume and there had to be something to it, so why didn't I enjoy it?
A few years ago, a neighbor's mother passed away. She was in her 80's. One day, he handed me a carton of her perfumes, telling me he didn't know what to do with them. I took them, thanking him, not knowing what I would find in the box. After all, his mom was an older woman, so I knew there would be some interesting choices in there.
Lo and behold, there it was. Chanel No. 5, staring me in the face. Again. Daring me to pick it up and smell it. But this time, when I uncapped the Edt, something miraculous happened. The vintage inside that I swirled around was captivating. It had matured like a fine wine. It had such a heady aroma, I couldn't stop sniffing. This stuff smelled good.
The aldehydes have muted somewhat, allowing the civet to come to the forefront along with the vetiver. There's more earthiness to it that wraps around the florals too, but those florals will always be strong. There's also a muskiness that seems to overwrap the whole perfume. The woods come into play in the last phases along with a mild vanilla that surprises. It's strong with the real civet. And, you have to be a civet lover to understand the beauty of it.
It's not a perfume to be taken lightly, it's one to be revered and worn at the pulse points. It's not a body spray or a fragrance mist. Chanel No. 5 is a mature perfume that warrants a mature nose that appreciates it.
How does it compare to today's? If anyone has sampled the formulations of today, they know it is a far cry from the vintage. More like an empty room missing pieces of its furniture.
If you're not an aldehydes or floral fan, this one's not for you. Pass go, keep your $200 and buy something else. There are plenty of perfumes in our world to sample and enjoy. But most definitely, if you do want to try it, stick to the vintage.

Classic perfume. This perfume will always be number one. When I think of Chanel or smell this scent. I think of my grandmother and mother. Kudos to Chanel for creating this product Will always be remembered and bought for years on end. It's a mature smell, I personally don't wear it I prefer the lighter sweet Chanel scents. Maybe when I'm older I will move onto this scent. Our scents and tastes are always changing!

on 8/6/2015 8:34:00 AM

This is kind of a heady scent, a little old lady like, but there is something about it that is just so intriguing. I received a second-hand bottle of it, but I cannot help but to come back to it every so often. I like to wear this out to dinner- it has that romantic, old-school going out vibe. Although I certainly appreciate the bottle that I have, I would not repurchase because there are so many other scents I want to try!

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Ah the legendary Chanel No. 5

I tried to be as open minded as possible about this perfume, but I just don't understand the hype. The bottle is beautiful. That's the best thing about it. But the smell isn't so great. It reminds me of what elderly women smell like. This fragrance was popular back in their times so this perfume was a hit back then. But times have changed. Women want a sweet smelling perfume now. The only reason I own this perfume is because my mother gave it to me. I only have it on my nightstand as decoration. I don't really wear it. Every now and then I'll spritz some on so I can feel like Marilyn, but I'm not a huge fan.

on 3/2/2015 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I always love having a bottle this in the Parum Spray. However, the No. 5 body crme is unbelievable! Just a teeny, tiny dab give fabulous fragrance. My husband loves this. I put a very small amount on a week and two days ago and my after-bath sweats still smell No. 5.

Popular Fragrances