CHANEL No.5

Filtered by hair type : Other
CHANEL No.5

3.4

on 4/22/2018 8:58:00 PM

Original review deleted & resubmitted 22nd April 2018 to reflect Chanel No 5 presently.
I feel incredibly strongly about Chanel No 5. the original - not the flankers. Thanks for reading. Very Loyal Chanel customer but I have my opinions.

Chanel No 5 is a true classic . It is what I called The Golden Ratio in Scent . Everything about it was / is ( i guess even , after the reformulation ) perfect / almost - to me.
EDT is my favorite formulation and I have gone through bottles and bottles of it. Today's verison is vastly thinner and less long lasting than even the old Cologne version. It has been reformulated but I still buy because after all the serious gutting of this scent, this is practically my ONLY reminder of the the true majesty of Chanel No .5 & what it USED to be.

EDP - a 1980s version by Jacque Polge - also very beautiful but recently quite gutted by the reformulations. Less ylang, more vanilla , less substantial in general and poorer tenacity, thinner in general, the scent profile is not quite the same. The EDP was also a veritable joy ..now , not so much. However, as with the EDT , I buy what is available .....

If you are going to do this to Le Monstre ( No. 5 ) - to save / make money , Chanel ..please release your new version of Chanel No 5 Eau de Parfum Intense.( Like you did with Coco Mademosielle . )

The parfum extrait was also beyond beauty .It was as the most wonderful version of No .5 - golden, bright ,full bodied, 3 dimensional.. like very fine champagne , deep and long lasting. Truly magnificent. I have no words to describe it really.
There was a valid reason for its fame and ability to last so many decades as a top seller world wide. I once declared I would only ever buy the extrait again ..not any more .

Today , it is weak , alcoholic, soft, missing a lot of neroli ,citrus and a helluva lot more vanilla added to the base. It smells closer to the new reformulated EDP .
The last good parfum extrait I had was made in 2011. The 30 ml bottle I have was made in 2014. It is not the same.

***********My message to Chanel .
All your customers who buy Chanel No 5 are not dead yet.
We maybe be older but we do know Chanel No .5 because a lot of us have worn it like a second skin for decades.
You try & attract a younger demographic which is fine but don't forget your roots. Use some of the great scent technology to... at least try and restore No 5 to what it was. Classic No 5. NOT your L'eau ,Eau Premiere and whatever you will think up next .

In efforts to Join The Young Club , you are watering down No .5 and more importantly , you are changing Chanel No .5 far too much through your reformulations.
Preserve, not alter. Educate , do not alter Chanel No 5 to the whims of fragrance fashion of this century.

I bought this as 1 of my first “serious” perfumes I bought for myself can’t say I really appreciated it when I was early 20s. Now that I’m 40 I can totally appreciate this awesome thing that IS chanel no. 5 it’s soapiness & Chanel’s own Rosebeds cleanliness next to godliness this smells like luxury. It’s a beautiful feminine scent I think “can” take age to appreciate. I’ve got the soap also. Smells like freshly showered & lotioned skin. Sexy!

on 4/17/2017 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

After pulling the scent strips out of all my old mags last night, I discovered a few great scents I had forgotten about. Chanel #5 was one of them.
In spite of its somewhat powdery artificiality, I really do love it! It smells like sophisticated luxury, class and comfort without a hint of sexuality; like that creamy cleanliness one has just after lathering on lotion after a long bath. It is a wonderfully beautiful and timeless scent that reminds me of my grandmother from New York, who was the epitome of everything elegant and fabulous about the post-war women from the 1940s and 50s. She grew up in a wealthy fashion family from Philadelphia and was always perfectly dressed and made-up. Although I don't know what scent she wore, it was powdery, subtle and may well have been Chanel #5.

Given how long this particular fragrance has been around, I suspect the majority of us of have some sort of associations conjured up by it. However, it's still modern enough that even my seven year old son loved it. That's reason enough to begin wearing it again. I'm going to start saving for a bottle ASAP.

on 11/15/2015 10:30:00 AM

My first ever fragrance from Chanel. I have always heard so much about No.5 over the years but have never considered getting one to add to my perfume collection. So two months ago,I decided to treat myself and bought the EDP purse spray set. It comes with 2 refills (20ml each) plus an additional tube already inside the beautiful black & gold lacquered case. I was told by the sales associate that there were several types of No.5 and each one has its own uniqueness. I specifically chose the EDP as i was drawn to it and i felt a special connection to the scent. It starts off really strong and slowly turns powdery as it dries. How i would describe NO.5 - Glamorous, confidence,sophistication and timeless. It may not appeal to everyone but i truly feel that this is a classy scent that is worth trying out.

PS : If i have to pick a second fave,it would be the Eau Premiere. :-)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

My No. 5 perfume literally spoiled and went sour because I couldn't bear to use it over the course of a few years. What a shame to waste such a pricey bottle of juice. All I can say is I'm one for unique, sexy, and sophisticated fragrances that nobody around me wears or can pinpoint. This one is old lady trapped in a bottle. I don't care if it's Chanel, which I covet. Men hate it and it gives me a headache.

Grandma alert! So disgusting. I don't care how iconic this is; it's overpowering and reeks!! I get nauseous just smelling the sprayer.

on 7/7/2014 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Vintage EDT.

A truly perfectly balanced floral done in the way only Chanel could do. It is delicate and classy as well as being alluring and sensual, as if giving off a warm glow around the person who wears it, like a soft, golden "aura" following them.

It is subtle, but it compliments your own natural skin beautifully and it a natural way... as if enhancing your presence and making you feel beautiful and confident at the same time.

Ernest Beaux, the genius that he was, knew women so well, this fragrance seems to work and adapt differently on each persons skin. It has universal appeal... and works well with women of ANY culture, creed or generation. There is a reason why this one is hard to beat, even after 90 years, and why it will still be around 90 years from now.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Warm, sweet with a smooth crispness all at the same time.
Soft and feminine. Dries to vanilla.
I actually feel comfortable wearing this one at anytime but would like it to be stronger and last longer.
The formulation here is so weak, its a EDP but I have to put my nose right up close to smell it, just a few minutes after I spritz it on it becomes a skin scent. It does start off a little stronger but rapidly looses its strength within a very short while and is completely gone in a few hours.
The reason I like this scent a lot is because it reminds me of a holiday caravan park. In the communal ladies bathroom I use to smell this and always wondered what it was and now I know. It is definitely the exact same scent but weaker. This is store bought so I know its genuine. I'm am disappointed with the strength

on 5/15/2014 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

Bona fide, textbook Classic. I loved that it was (arguably) the first abstract perfume, smelling like nothing but itself. My mother wore Shalimar and Rive Gauche, so I don't have a family history or association with No. 5. The first bottle I bought was a splash bottle of EDT; Coco had just come out but I felt I should start with the benchmark. I didn't get it: too clean, too streamlined, not really...there? A little too sophisticated for an 18 year old.
Years later, my more educated nose (and brain) learned, compared, and now adores it. I like older bottles of the EDT which have more personality and oomph than the modern. And now I've just been gifted with the new EDP by my husband, and I love it even more. Plush without heaviness, luxe, gilded, but wearable with anything, anytime.
True luxury and beauty that anyone can own.

on 4/19/2014 8:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

Extreme migraine trigger, can't come near anyone wearing this. Pretty, but not worth it.

Popular Fragrances