Chanel No.5

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Chanel No.5

3.6

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is my favorite perfume. I mostly use the Chanel no5 EDT (1921) as this comes closest to how my beautiful mother use to smell. I tried the EDP (1986) but it is too harsh, too sharp and too spicy. The perfume is the best of course but also the most expensive. I have read several times that people think this is an old lady smell. Hello?!?! It is not!!!

Don't go by the initial first spray of Chanel no5 as the dry down is where the magic begins. I like to spray the EDT on my neck and on my clothes a bit so that the smell stays the entire day. And all through the day the different layers/smells of roses, jasmine, aldehydes, Ylang, Ylang, Neroli, civet, bergamot etc. are being released. This perfume makes me feel happy, feminine, luxurious, sexy, stylish, classic, beautiful, confident and timeless. They do not make perfumes like this anymore. The smell is also woody and powdery. Which is great for me as I do not like a flowery perfume or smell like a vanilla cookie which seems to be a trend lately.

Due to silly new EU law regulations regarding perfumes (such as "1 in a million people might develop a rash from this ingredient") many classic smells had to reformulate their masterpieces. They are using more synthetic ingredients now and the perfumes smells different today. Nevertheless, Chanel no 5 remains the most magical, mystical and legendary perfume ever!

I wear this all the time but on hot summer days it is great to use Roma by Laura Biagiotti. That one has a great dry-down as well.

on 11/29/2017 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

It's weird as 10 years back I really didn't like No 5, not at all actually. Meanwhile, I don't know why, but I really started to love the unique note No 5 has. I still don't own the orginial scent as it is just too heavy for my nose although I actually like it. There is something that is disturbing the main note in it, I guess it's lily of the valley. But, I'm so happy that Chanel decided to create new kinds of No 5, and I found Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere to be the perfect No 5 for me. Fresher, lighter, without the heave lily of the valley note, and still the unique aldehyde No 5 note I like so much.

on 4/17/2017 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

After pulling the scent strips out of all my old mags last night, I discovered a few great scents I had forgotten about. Chanel #5 was one of them.
In spite of its somewhat powdery artificiality, I really do love it! It smells like sophisticated luxury, class and comfort without a hint of sexuality; like that creamy cleanliness one has just after lathering on lotion after a long bath. It is a wonderfully beautiful and timeless scent that reminds me of my grandmother from New York, who was the epitome of everything elegant and fabulous about the post-war women from the 1940s and 50s. She grew up in a wealthy fashion family from Philadelphia and was always perfectly dressed and made-up. Although I don't know what scent she wore, it was powdery, subtle and may well have been Chanel #5.

Given how long this particular fragrance has been around, I suspect the majority of us of have some sort of associations conjured up by it. However, it's still modern enough that even my seven year old son loved it. That's reason enough to begin wearing it again. I'm going to start saving for a bottle ASAP.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

The first time I smelled this I hated it. I thought it smelled like a port o potty. I retested this fragrance in Sephora, well actually I tried the Eau Premiere and I fell in love. I bought the no. 5 lotion and layered it with the no 5 eau premiere. eventually, I just HAD to get the original no 5 and I wear this every day. it is the best scent, it smells so clean and good and it smells even better layered with the lotion. i recommend trying this on yourself vs. just spraying it on a tester because it dries down different on everybody!

on 8/5/2015 11:18:00 PM

I received as a present and was curious to see what the fuss was all about. My mum had this when I was growing up but I never tried it.

I'm sad to say I really don't like No. 5 at all. The scent is way too overwhelming and heavy for me, I only dab a tiny amount on my wrists and neck and it still makes my eyes water. I can't quite describe the smell, it's a bit smoky and woodsy and there's no light refreshing notes to balance out the heaviness.

on 4/24/2015 9:18:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

The thing with Chanel No 5 is that it really is acquired taste, especially on our time when the sweetest the fragrance the most acceptable from the general population.

There is also much talk about how reformulations ruined the once glorious No 5 so I got a vintage splash bottle of Eau de Cologne recently waiting for some kind of revelation like the one I had after experiencing both vintage Samsara and the current one. The opening is holy aldehydes galore and with prominent lemon and bergamot. As it evolves on the skin it becomes more powdery but not overpowering. There is noticeable musk at the drydown and it's incredibly well blended so I can't pinpoint individual notes but it never really warms up before fading.

That said, I appreciate it as piece of history since Chanel No 5 was something really novel for the time - and still very elegant in a tender, nostalgic way - but I'm mainly an oriental lover and my Chanel will always be Coco EDP. No 5 just feels totally out of place on my skin. It really is a fragrance for a true lady. Just not this lady ;)

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

(Sorry for my bad english, I'm working on it.) I can't give it one lippie. I just can't. It's a quality product: lasts a lot, has good aura, it's powerful. But it's just too much for me. It gives me nausea and headaches. I can't even stay in the same room when someone is wearing it. Maybe I'll learn to appreciate later in my life (tastes evolve with time) but right now is the antichrist in a bottle for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I honestly adore this perfume. I don't know whether it's partially because I've fallen for it's story, because it's always been the ultimate symbol of glamour, it's place in history or purely because of it's totally unique scent but even though it costs quite a bit and I'm not the biggest earner I never feel like I've lost out by buying a bottle. There's nothing I love more than looking in my perfume shelf and seeing a full bottle of it just sitting there. The packaging is iconic and in it's simplicity probably one of the most beautiful perfume bottles of all time, perfectly encapsulating Coco's ideas of beauty. The scent itself is just breathtaking. If I ever feel down I spray a bit in the air in front of me because it's just so comforting yet at the same time, empowering. It smells like so many things and that makes it smell like nothing else. It lasts for ages and even with a small spray, you'll catch a sniff of it on yourself from throughout the day. This perfume gives me confidence that I just don't get from any other perfume or shoes, clothes or even make-up. I know it's been criticised for being an "old lady scent" but someone (I genuinely can't remember who) explained it perfectly to me. The old women that No.5 brings to mind were the flappers in the 20s, the glamourous women of the 30s and the pin ups of the 40s. They all grew old and kept wearing the same perfume. It's lasted this long because it deserves to and because as Coco intended, it really does smell like a woman. Sorry if this isn't descriptive enough but the way I smell it it's warm, powdery, very floral but with a kick. Slightly soapy in the best way and the most obvious floral scent is, I would say, Jasmine. Suits anyone with the confidence to wear it.

on 5/5/2014 10:27:00 AM

I wore this on my wedding day and I love it. Floral rose with powder and a hint of spice- very classic and almost old-world, if you will. Reminds me of Europe!!

Lots of people think this is old-ladyish, too powdery, too strong - heard all of that and more. I think it is imperative that one a) not put too much of this on, regardless of formulation b) WAIT for the fragrance to settle (at least an hour, maybe two), and c) wear it for at least 3 days, through different humidity before you make your decision. If you hate it right off the bat, I get that, BUT this is a scent that really takes a long time to settle down and and I find it smells different in different weather.

I love this stuff, wear it often and it takes a very small amount - even with the EDT. I've used the EDT and EDP, and I actually like the EDT a bit better - but that may be too that I have the EDT in a vintage refillable from the 70s. (I love vintage).

Anyway, everyone should try it - and give it a chance - it's a classic for a good reason.

on 4/19/2014 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

My husband got this for me while killing time in a duty free shop at the Orlando airport. I tried it right away, since I had not used any fragrance that day and so it wouldn't be competing with another scent.

I want to like it, but I can't bring myself to try it again. I certainly would not wear it to work while still in the "deciding" stage, so it will have to be a weekend project.

It's an iconic luxury fragrance with a long history, which makes me feel like I should like it. However, if I tried it as a blind test there is no way I would ever entertain purchasing or asking for this fragrance as it stands now.

I know it is expensive, and it is very clever packaging: 3 20 ml EDP spray bottles that fit into a sleek and chic black "lacquer" and gold case that looks like an oversize lipstick--you twist the top counterclockwise and the atomizer pops up--twist it clockwise and the atomizer recedes back into the case. 3 20 ml bottles is just over 2 oz of fragrance--even if I use this every day it will take many months to use up and I am really trying to have only 2 or 3 fragrances at a time that I use up before getting a replacement or something completely different.

I will edit after I decide yay or nay, but I think I am sadly leaning toward nay on this.

Popular Fragrances