Chanel No.5

3.6

on 4/17/2017 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

After pulling the scent strips out of all my old mags last night, I discovered a few great scents I had forgotten about. Chanel #5 was one of them.
In spite of its somewhat powdery artificiality, I really do love it! It smells like sophisticated luxury, class and comfort without a hint of sexuality; like that creamy cleanliness one has just after lathering on lotion after a long bath. It is a wonderfully beautiful and timeless scent that reminds me of my grandmother from New York, who was the epitome of everything elegant and fabulous about the post-war women from the 1940s and 50s. She grew up in a wealthy fashion family from Philadelphia and was always perfectly dressed and made-up. Although I don't know what scent she wore, it was powdery, subtle and may well have been Chanel #5.

Given how long this particular fragrance has been around, I suspect the majority of us of have some sort of associations conjured up by it. However, it's still modern enough that even my seven year old son loved it. That's reason enough to begin wearing it again. I'm going to start saving for a bottle ASAP.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

The first time I smelled this I hated it. I thought it smelled like a port o potty. I retested this fragrance in Sephora, well actually I tried the Eau Premiere and I fell in love. I bought the no. 5 lotion and layered it with the no 5 eau premiere. eventually, I just HAD to get the original no 5 and I wear this every day. it is the best scent, it smells so clean and good and it smells even better layered with the lotion. i recommend trying this on yourself vs. just spraying it on a tester because it dries down different on everybody!

on 8/5/2015 11:18:00 PM

I received as a present and was curious to see what the fuss was all about. My mum had this when I was growing up but I never tried it.

I'm sad to say I really don't like No. 5 at all. The scent is way too overwhelming and heavy for me, I only dab a tiny amount on my wrists and neck and it still makes my eyes water. I can't quite describe the smell, it's a bit smoky and woodsy and there's no light refreshing notes to balance out the heaviness.

on 4/24/2015 9:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

The thing with Chanel No 5 is that it really is acquired taste, especially on our time when the sweetest the fragrance the most acceptable from the general population.

There is also much talk about how reformulations ruined the once glorious No 5 so I got a vintage splash bottle of Eau de Cologne recently waiting for some kind of revelation like the one I had after experiencing both vintage Samsara and the current one. The opening is holy aldehydes galore and with prominent lemon and bergamot. As it evolves on the skin it becomes more powdery but not overpowering. There is noticeable musk at the drydown and it's incredibly well blended so I can't pinpoint individual notes but it never really warms up before fading.

That said, I appreciate it as piece of history since Chanel No 5 was something really novel for the time - and still very elegant in a tender, nostalgic way - but I'm mainly an oriental lover and my Chanel will always be Coco EDP. No 5 just feels totally out of place on my skin. It really is a fragrance for a true lady. Just not this lady ;)

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

(Sorry for my bad english, I'm working on it.) I can't give it one lippie. I just can't. It's a quality product: lasts a lot, has good aura, it's powerful. But it's just too much for me. It gives me nausea and headaches. I can't even stay in the same room when someone is wearing it. Maybe I'll learn to appreciate later in my life (tastes evolve with time) but right now is the antichrist in a bottle for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I honestly adore this perfume. I don't know whether it's partially because I've fallen for it's story, because it's always been the ultimate symbol of glamour, it's place in history or purely because of it's totally unique scent but even though it costs quite a bit and I'm not the biggest earner I never feel like I've lost out by buying a bottle. There's nothing I love more than looking in my perfume shelf and seeing a full bottle of it just sitting there. The packaging is iconic and in it's simplicity probably one of the most beautiful perfume bottles of all time, perfectly encapsulating Coco's ideas of beauty. The scent itself is just breathtaking. If I ever feel down I spray a bit in the air in front of me because it's just so comforting yet at the same time, empowering. It smells like so many things and that makes it smell like nothing else. It lasts for ages and even with a small spray, you'll catch a sniff of it on yourself from throughout the day. This perfume gives me confidence that I just don't get from any other perfume or shoes, clothes or even make-up. I know it's been criticised for being an "old lady scent" but someone (I genuinely can't remember who) explained it perfectly to me. The old women that No.5 brings to mind were the flappers in the 20s, the glamourous women of the 30s and the pin ups of the 40s. They all grew old and kept wearing the same perfume. It's lasted this long because it deserves to and because as Coco intended, it really does smell like a woman. Sorry if this isn't descriptive enough but the way I smell it it's warm, powdery, very floral but with a kick. Slightly soapy in the best way and the most obvious floral scent is, I would say, Jasmine. Suits anyone with the confidence to wear it.

on 5/5/2014 10:27:00 AM

I wore this on my wedding day and I love it. Floral rose with powder and a hint of spice- very classic and almost old-world, if you will. Reminds me of Europe!!

Lots of people think this is old-ladyish, too powdery, too strong - heard all of that and more. I think it is imperative that one a) not put too much of this on, regardless of formulation b) WAIT for the fragrance to settle (at least an hour, maybe two), and c) wear it for at least 3 days, through different humidity before you make your decision. If you hate it right off the bat, I get that, BUT this is a scent that really takes a long time to settle down and and I find it smells different in different weather.

I love this stuff, wear it often and it takes a very small amount - even with the EDT. I've used the EDT and EDP, and I actually like the EDT a bit better - but that may be too that I have the EDT in a vintage refillable from the 70s. (I love vintage).

Anyway, everyone should try it - and give it a chance - it's a classic for a good reason.

on 4/19/2014 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

My husband got this for me while killing time in a duty free shop at the Orlando airport. I tried it right away, since I had not used any fragrance that day and so it wouldn't be competing with another scent.

I want to like it, but I can't bring myself to try it again. I certainly would not wear it to work while still in the "deciding" stage, so it will have to be a weekend project.

It's an iconic luxury fragrance with a long history, which makes me feel like I should like it. However, if I tried it as a blind test there is no way I would ever entertain purchasing or asking for this fragrance as it stands now.

I know it is expensive, and it is very clever packaging: 3 20 ml EDP spray bottles that fit into a sleek and chic black "lacquer" and gold case that looks like an oversize lipstick--you twist the top counterclockwise and the atomizer pops up--twist it clockwise and the atomizer recedes back into the case. 3 20 ml bottles is just over 2 oz of fragrance--even if I use this every day it will take many months to use up and I am really trying to have only 2 or 3 fragrances at a time that I use up before getting a replacement or something completely different.

I will edit after I decide yay or nay, but I think I am sadly leaning toward nay on this.

on 4/3/2014 2:00:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

2013 became the year of no. 5 as I ended up purchasing the Velvet Body Cream, Intense Bath Oil and the EDP. I also managed to get my mitts on a sample of the EDT. I'd been avoiding no 5 for years,since the early 90's when I first got into Chanel fragrances as a middle schooler, due to the extreme aldehydic nature of the fragrance. Made it a point over the years to try it out at least once a year to see if my nose had changed towards it. Every time I'd sniff or sample no 5 my throat would feel like someone had stuffed a ball of cotton down it and it would start to close up. Then this past Fall I tried again on the EDT this time wearing it for the whole day a few times over the course of a week and I had to keep myself from running to the sink to brillo it off my wrist. Verdict was that the EDT was not working and I don't think it ever will. What got me hooked on no 5 though was the Velvet Body Cream after I was given a sample sachet at Nordstrom. I'd been using it off and on and I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. One night I decided I was going to really give the cream a try and kept using it before bed. This led to me falling in love. The vetiver and lemon note really pops out in the cream and I just adore it. I can smell the aldehydes but it's not as harsh as in the EDT. This then led to me buying the cream and eventually the EDP which is a more heavy 80's style fragrance, almost as if the perfumer were trying to skirt the edge of an 80's oriental but only a smidge. The EDP is heavier on the jasmine and vanilla and the aldehydes are there but not similar to the ones in the EDT. The EDP I can wear comfortably and it's definitely good for colder weather and can be worn with everything. I do believe now that my dislike over the years was due to the fact that I kept grabbing the EDT (and because I was familiar with the square tube like container as I had a bottle of no 19 EDT in the same shape). I know now that each of the different concentrations in the no 5 line is slightly modified. The notes are the same but tweaked up or down and differently for each concentration. Same goes for Chanel's other fragrances as well, btw. I've not tried the parfum yet but I plan to purchase a bottle in the future. I know that purists say that the EDT is the way to go but I just can't do it. Maybe I'll try again next year. I also noticed that when I wear the cream and the EDP it is very calming and keeps anxiety down. I did some searching and found out that no 5 contains rose and jasmine. Both of these oils help with reducing stress. Rose oil causes the brain to stop pumping out cortisol, which is the stress hormone, and jasmine oil is also a stress reducer and has been found, for example, to act as a tranquilizer on rats and people who are getting off of certain prescription drugs. I noticed the calming effect when I used the cream and later noticed that the EDP has the same affect on me. It also contains ylang ylang oil which has been found to be a stress reducer. Very nice to be able to not only smell and enjoy a scent but that it also contributes to a peaceful mind. Will always have this fragrance in my collection!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I tried this out on my wrist at Ulta. Well, when you first spray it, it smells like cat pee. Not gonna lie. I sniffed it again after a few hours. After the pee smell went away, it smelled nostalgic and beautiful. I can't even really accurately describe it, because I don't know perfume jargon. It is like that time you tried drinking coffee when you were 12 years old, and at first you thought it was disgusting, but then you found yourself wanting more and more. An acquired taste. Strangely addicting. Powerfully feminine, a woman who wears this is a force to be reckoned with. I wish I could afford a bottle of my own.

Popular Fragrances