Chanel No.5

Filtered by skin type : Very Oily
Chanel No.5

3.5

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this as 1 of my first “serious” perfumes I bought for myself can’t say I really appreciated it when I was early 20s. Now that I’m 40 I can totally appreciate this awesome thing that IS chanel no. 5 it’s soapiness & Chanel’s own Rosebeds cleanliness next to godliness this smells like luxury. It’s a beautiful feminine scent I think “can” take age to appreciate. I’ve got the soap also. Smells like freshly showered & lotioned skin. Sexy!

on 7/1/2013 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Well this might be a little unfair review because it's not me who own this perfume, but my mother.. Eventhough she LOVE IT and I think it smells lovely on her, I absolutly hate it on myself. Think it's a fragrance for older women :)

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I first tried this perfume in my early twenties and thought Yuck! old lady scent! Fast forward now to my thirties and I received a bottle of EDT from a Chanel event, grudgingly gave it another try, and expected to hate it....but I didn't! I actually thought hey this isn't too bad! It isn't an airy fairy flowery scent, but a dark mossy and musky one, very womanly and grown up...yes I haven't got older, but rather I've grown up now....;p the EDT actually packs quite a punch of frgrance already, not sure if I would like the EDP....

on 11/27/2012 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This stuff smells horrible! I was so excited to smell it at the Chanel counter, I wanted to gag. The only reason I ever wanted to smell it was because Marilyn Monroe wore it. I wish she could have picked something better because I definitely don't see anyone under 50 wearing this. The smell is so strong....it reminds me of those old ladies who over do it in church. I don't care that this is a "classic" it smells cheap and awful.

on 10/26/2012 7:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

NO CAN DO. I tried, really tried: through all the repulson, aversion and gagging-fighting I had to bear. How patiently I waited wondering when, when, WHEN it finally dries down and becomes THAT perfume everybody raves about. But for a long time it wouldn't and in the end - it didn't. It just doesn't change over time, which I find extremely strange, since old school perfumery was all about multifoldstructure. It is sharp, loud and everything but sophisticated, it smells in a way like old soviet perfumes ( which could have been simply an attempt to replicate it). There's a famous russian actress that wears this kind of perfumes, and (in her own words) one of her male friends once said: "You smell like all the dead women I used to know". I couldn't put this any better. Perhaps in the times when this scent was created it was the most tolerable choice, but nowadays I can't help but thinking: it is exactly the situation of "The Emperor's New Clothes" by H.C.Andersen : the hype, the fear of overthrowing an idol. Since no Brad Pitt - fuelled marketing campaign in the world could persuade me into wearing this, I will get a tiny tester : to put it on when going to a funeral of one of its worshippers, as a tribute.
UPDATE:
OK, I am upping this from 1 to 4, because I HAVE found a way for it to work for me: it's the parfum extrait in a vintage version (preferrably) or a vintage cologne: they both actually do blossom into a supersoft veil that is more like radiating femininity rather than smelling of perfume. EDP progresses on me from nosehair-curling to vomit-inducing, EDT is like a brainfreeze at the 1st spritz, which fades into nothing very quickly. The parfum concentration is within its first 15-30 minutes post-application like a headrush, so I normally try not to move a lot and be busy with something, so that I don't freak out. Then, 30 mins later, it reaches this light powdery and yet creamy self and is veeeeeeery smooth, silky, soft and i want to nuzzle my wrists all the time ( and when no one's watching, I do! :) ). 1 lippie off for working only in the most expensive extrait concentration and for bordering on headache-inducing, even when applied very lightly ( sweetened aldehydes are notorious for this anyway ). Last but not least - my man hates it. He can totally sign under my original review before the "update" ...:-/

on 10/1/2012 4:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I started wearing No. 5 when I was in my early 20s (so much for it being for old ladies!). I only ever wear one fragrance (as a signature) at any given point in my life and after several years I branched out and used other scents. Many years of Jean Paul Gaultier, a couple of Lancome Tresor and several of Bvlgari Blv Notte. Now I'm back with my first love - No. 5. I don't think I'll ever stray again. I wear it day and night, in jeans or dressed up. Everyone in my life says whenever they smell it they think of me. Oddly enough, I've never known any other women who wear it, so despite it being one of the most popular perfumes in the world I feel that it is uniquely mine. Anyone who thinks it isn't sexy is missing the point of perfume. It's the woman who is sexy, not her fragrance. No. 5 is stylish, soft, warm and incredibly feminine. It makes me want to nuzzle myself ..... And my (much younger!) bf adores it!

on 7/31/2011 12:03:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

an old but still lovely and beautiful fragrance, a shame that the staying power is totally disappointing! 30 minutes later that i sprayed on me its barely noticeable, and for an EDP its a waste of money cuz its a expensive one. so i only use it for special times and with tons of sprays hahaha, COCO and coco mademoiselle are much better in longevity!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Where do I start? C No 5 is my deep, enduring love, my fragrance HG. With time I have learned the value of investing in a timeless classic. It is simply "me," clean and lovely and feminine and always interesting. I am lucky that it really works magic with my body chemistry. And please note, I am neither old nor rich nor fusty. I am a performance artist, a social worker, and a lover of thrift-store chic. I never would have pegged myself as a C No. 5 fan, but once I tried it, I couldn't deny the perfection of this scent. Even though I am ideologically opposed to the whole concept of "prestige" products!

I will say this, I do not like the EDT version of C No 5 personally, as it has a urinaceous note on my skin. If that is the only version you have tried, please give the EDP or parfum a try-- and let it melt into your skin. The aldehydes quickly fade and it's worth the wait. I own EDP, pure parfum, body cream, and soap, and when I use them all together I feel like I am surrounded by a cashmere veil of soft, clean, warm heaven. The jasmine is rich and mellow, the neroli adds sensuality, the aldehydes contribute a shower-fresh softness... there is nothing else like the harmonious, indefinable, ever-surprising beauty of C No 5. Unlike a lot of trendy fragrances, which smell similar to each other and similar on different people's skins, C No 5 is as distinctive and unmistakable as the Taj Mahal and it either really works on you, or really doesn't.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my HG scent. I absolutely love No.5. It smells beautiful on me. I have been wearing it for years.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

One day I was at Macy's and ran into someone I knew working at the perfume counter and she gave me a sample of Chanel #5--against my protests---too old--this is for old ladies.
Well this "old lady" has been wearing #5 for over 25 years now--great then and great now!!

Popular Fragrances