Chanel No.5

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Chanel No.5

3.4

on 10/5/2016 4:52:00 PM

Love! This review is for the eau de toilette. The formula has changed and is easier to wear for me than in years past. I did appreciate the older formula, but found it too formal for most occasions. This is sparkling yet not loud.

on 8/6/2015 8:34:00 AM

This is kind of a heady scent, a little old lady like, but there is something about it that is just so intriguing. I received a second-hand bottle of it, but I cannot help but to come back to it every so often. I like to wear this out to dinner- it has that romantic, old-school going out vibe. Although I certainly appreciate the bottle that I have, I would not repurchase because there are so many other scents I want to try!

on 7/11/2014 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I tried to wear this when I was in my early 20s...and it just didn't work for me at the time...I LOVED the scent, but felt it just didn't sit right with my body chemistry..My boyfriend purchased this for me recently, and I just love it now! Normally, I can't wear florals, but this one works for me...just smells rich and classy. My new favorite.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Sorry ladies to old ladie! Try madaomoale

on 3/7/2014 5:10:00 PM

Iconic. Sophisticated. This is my "signature scent"

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This review is for the current formulation of the Chanel No. 5 Eau de Parfum.

There is a reason Marilyn Monroe only wore drops of Chanel No. 5 to bed. It is probably the most romantic perfume I've ever smelled. The roses are very prominent to me, but they are clean roses. Like gorgeous rose soaps (the aldehydes often create a soapy, clean smell). This fragrance is so feminine and womanly. I love to wear this during the day, but it is definitely fitted for a romantic evening with your special someone, so I try not to wear it too often. It is made even more special when you layer this with the No. 5 Velvet Body Cream.

For those people saying this smells "old lady", I'd be happy to smell like any "old lady" who wears this, because she surely must be elegant, sophisticated, feminine, and timelessly classic.

Chanel No. 5 is my signature, along with Coco Noir, as they both reflect different parts of my personality. Coco Noir is my outward personality, it is what I convey to everyone I know: confident, sophisticated, and glamorous. Chanel No. 5, is my private personality, where I feel a bit more vulnerable, romantic, womanly, and whimsical.

For modern sensuality and elegance, I would wear Coco Noir.
For timeless romance and the ultimate femininity, I would chose Chanel No. 5.

I will always have a bottle of No. 5 and the body cream on hand. The epitome of romance and luxury.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Can't believe I paid so much for this!!!

Not "old lady," but not the trendy, fruity/floral stuff we're use to today. Some others described it like this.

I just didn't like the smell. It wasn't horrid but it wasn't worth the 120 dollars I paid for this!!

on 10/28/2013 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have never understand the hype behind this, it smells of old people? Except it being Chanel, I don't see how it's got so many glowing reviews...

on 10/26/2013 3:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

HG! love this classic, timeless fragrance! wear it all day, everyday! beautiful package, lovely staying power! have soap, moisture mist, body oil, body creme and hair mist as well! ♥♡♥♡

on 10/21/2013 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My review is for the parfum. According to Luca Turin, the EdP is a reconstruction from the 80's by Jacques Polge and contains Polysantal (a synthetic sandalwood). The EdT is allegedly from the 50's and the parfum is supposed to be closest to the original. What makes the parfum stand out for me is a much richer floral heart, smoother aldehydes, and a less musky but creamier base. All together the parfum is more plush and seductive.

Every bit as daring and divisive as it was in 1921 when first released, No. 5 is truly one of the greats. A study of carefully judged contrasts that seem to meld into one euphoric expression, it is one of the most beautiful and cerebral perfumes I have ever smelled. First and foremost are the aldehydes which create a dramatic synthetic/modern/abstract counterpoint to the lush and very real heart of jasmine and rose de mai. One of the most beautiful floral accords I have ever smelled, the rose de mai is cool, fresh, and myrrh like with no trace of citrus. The jasmine is rich yet transparent and hypnotic without being indolic. This ultra feminine heart rests on a pristine, almost masculine base of vetiver soap: clean, creamy, and well scrubbed.

The overall effect to my nose is expensive sparkling soap... a strange amalgam of the frictionless and the scintillating, snapping with effervescence. The combination of exciting, exhilarating aldehydes mixing with precious florals and smooth soap is fantastic and unexpected. Dazzling!

It took me a long time to understand No. 5 because all I could smell at first were the aldehydes which struck me as relentlessly chemical and old fashioned. But just as the different concentrations of perfume each have a slightly different take on the same theme, so do the bath products. It was only when I tried the Velvet Body Creme which is more floral and less aldehydic that I began to understand No. 5's appeal.

Popular Fragrances