Chanel No.5

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Chanel No.5

3.5

I have always enjoyed floral frangrances and I found the 50ml eau de toilette at Costco for CAD$59 and I could not pass it up.

I'll admit that although I have been lusting after this for years I was hesitant to buy it because of the "old grandmother" stigma associated with this Chanel classic. I now regret wait for so long. It smells just like jasmine and powder, so timelessly classic, luxurious and elegant and alluring.

The packaging is just gorgeous, like all things Chanel. I think I'm hooked for life.

on 4/17/2017 7:28:00 PM

Like almost every woman alive, I love this perfume!

Beautiful scent, very feminine and sexy. Whenever I wear it, everyone in the room turns around to try to detect the source of the smell.

The staying power is great - lasts all day and all night without reapplying throughout the day.

It is pricey, but it is Chanel, and one of the most popular and loved perfume ever, so it's worth every penny.

Repurchase? Yes.

on 12/12/2016 3:39:00 AM

Expensive like other Chanel perfumes but truly worths it. My mom and I adore it and always carry it in our bags. The aldehyde combination with civet musk gives it this uniqueness. I know there are lots of companies out there using these components but no one as far as I know could ever managed to make such an amazing scent as this perfume.

P.S: if you are not familiar with these components you will find it smelling soapy and this is due to the high concentration of aldehyde which makes perfumes smells sexy and alluring. So basically you will need to be patient to adjust with the scent and to be able to smell the deep and true heart of it.

Tips: and this goes for every perfume out there. You need to let the perfume cools down before smelling.

You have to sray it on your wrist or your arm and take a walk and smell it back again after half hour. If didn't faint away then the scent reacts with your skin which means this is the one to buy.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Meh. I hate to say that, but just meh. My husband likes this and he bought it for me so I wear it for him because I don't want to hurt his feelings, but I would not buy it for myself. To me it's very boring and one-dimensional. I smell "generic rose" and that's pretty much it. And it doesn't last long either, at least on me. Granted, I have the eau de toilette, but if I had a longer-lasting version I don't think I'd feel any better about it, because then I would just smell boring longer. Honestly I'm not really sure how it's going to be such a classic. Maybe because it's not offensive. Don't get me wrong: #5 doesn't smell bad; it just doesn't smell interesting to me, and I prefer more interesting perfumes. Especially for what it costs.

I clearly remember smelling this perfume when I was in my early 20s. Back then I thought, "what the heck is so great about it that makes it so pricey". I guess complex perfume is also an acquired taste.

There are different versions of the Chanel No.5 perfume, and this review is specifically about the classic EAU DE PARFUM version. I smelled all versions in the shop. Only this one captured me.

It's hard to put my hands on what exactly this perfume smells like. By that I mean, it hard for one to describe what are the ingredients inside this perfume. The whole smell forms one compound, which might have something to do with one of the main ingredients--aldehydes--being completely synthetic.

The smell to me is feminine, classic, elegant and clean at the same time. To some people, it might be too "old school" (Smell is a highly individualistic thing. It really depends on what you like.). The smell of this perfume reminds me of a lady, not just someone with a mild mannerism, but also someone with independent thoughts and have had adventurous endeavors in her life. (Think about Madame Coco Chanel duh.)

What I like about the smell the most is that it's not too sharp or overpowering. We've all encountered people who would walk into an elevator and by the time all people get out of the elevator, everyone takes away a bit of that person's perfume. To me, that is too intrusive. This perfume does not do that. It's tasteful and unobtrusive.

Regarding longevity, I've found that it stays longer on fabric than on my skin. So I always spray once or twice on my clothes every morning. By the end of the day, it will fade to something more subtle.

I bought the perfume in the travel-friendly packaging. It comes with a beautiful sleek bottle with a twist-up cap, which already houses 20ml of the product. The set also comes with another two 20ml refills. So in total you will get 60ml of the product and a bottle. I think I like this convenient and slightly modern packaging better than the classic glass bottle.

Sorry for writing a pretty disorganized review. I realized that a review of a perfume was never going to be as helpful as a review of a makeup product, because all I can do is throwing subjective descriptions of the smell...OK I just wanted to rave about this perfume I guess. If you are looking for something classic, lady-like and elegant, give this a sniff. You might be mesmerized like I was.

on 5/12/2016 11:31:00 AM

Purchased a 3.4 oz EDP for myself, as I turned 56 today - - splurge, yes, but best ever. It's a timeless classic with a fragrance that lingers all day. The dry down is phenomenol. I only sprayed on 2 different pulse points and wow, this bottle will last a long time! No wonder it's all Marilyn Monroe wore to bed!

What can I say, I've sampled this fragrance in different versions for years and the verdict is in. The vintage eau de cologne is the absolute best! I am totally seduced by this fragrance, It's 5 star for sure. This is what the hype was all about! It has been discontinued unfortunately. The modern No. 5 is a about a 3 star. I have an edp from 06 or 07 and in all honestly, I tried to like it and used it a few times and every time I end up not happy with the end result. I really don't care for it much in this formulation, it's too bitter and chemical and doesn't seem to warm up to my skin, this one doesn't work for me. They are all different scents in each one you know, No. 5. The edt and modern parfum are nice, but I need a vintage perfume because I know it will be marvelous and of course as much edc I can find. I will settle for a vintage edt to lol! For those who think the perfumes are too strong you may like the bath soaps and lotions, they are wonderful. The scent is not for everyone, Thank God!

on 11/15/2015 10:30:00 AM

My first ever fragrance from Chanel. I have always heard so much about No.5 over the years but have never considered getting one to add to my perfume collection. So two months ago,I decided to treat myself and bought the EDP purse spray set. It comes with 2 refills (20ml each) plus an additional tube already inside the beautiful black & gold lacquered case. I was told by the sales associate that there were several types of No.5 and each one has its own uniqueness. I specifically chose the EDP as i was drawn to it and i felt a special connection to the scent. It starts off really strong and slowly turns powdery as it dries. How i would describe NO.5 - Glamorous, confidence,sophistication and timeless. It may not appeal to everyone but i truly feel that this is a classy scent that is worth trying out.

PS : If i have to pick a second fave,it would be the Eau Premiere. :-)

Classic perfume. This perfume will always be number one. When I think of Chanel or smell this scent. I think of my grandmother and mother. Kudos to Chanel for creating this product Will always be remembered and bought for years on end. It's a mature smell, I personally don't wear it I prefer the lighter sweet Chanel scents. Maybe when I'm older I will move onto this scent. Our scents and tastes are always changing!

I love this and I'm only 20. I think it smells so cozy and woodsy on my skin. Also, whats with all the "eww grandma" comments? Thats so rude. Whats wrong with grandmas or old people, we all get old?

Popular Fragrances