Chanel No.5

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Chanel No.5

3.5

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Can I start by calling this BAE :) Such a good product and the fragrance is perfect for when it's time to go out at night. I LOVE this fragrance!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I just purchased the Chanel No.5 body oil and I am in loooove!! I'm sad that it's limited edition thou because I would love to be able to repurchase when I run out of this bottle. Here is my video that includes this lovely product:

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Smelling vintage No. 5 is like sniffing a fine wine to me. I'm not a fan of aldehydes and never have been, we don't get along too well, nor am I particularly fond of a perfume that is too heavy on the florals. But sniffing No. 5 is a whole new ballgame.
I was introduced to it as a child by my mother, and it wasn't my favorite. As a young adult, I was gifted it, and again, I just put it aside, not really appreciating it. I just have always leaned towards the oriental or gourmand side. I knew this was a hugely popular perfume and there had to be something to it, so why didn't I enjoy it?
A few years ago, a neighbor's mother passed away. She was in her 80's. One day, he handed me a carton of her perfumes, telling me he didn't know what to do with them. I took them, thanking him, not knowing what I would find in the box. After all, his mom was an older woman, so I knew there would be some interesting choices in there.
Lo and behold, there it was. Chanel No. 5, staring me in the face. Again. Daring me to pick it up and smell it. But this time, when I uncapped the Edt, something miraculous happened. The vintage inside that I swirled around was captivating. It had matured like a fine wine. It had such a heady aroma, I couldn't stop sniffing. This stuff smelled good.
The aldehydes have muted somewhat, allowing the civet to come to the forefront along with the vetiver. There's more earthiness to it that wraps around the florals too, but those florals will always be strong. There's also a muskiness that seems to overwrap the whole perfume. The woods come into play in the last phases along with a mild vanilla that surprises. It's strong with the real civet. And, you have to be a civet lover to understand the beauty of it.
It's not a perfume to be taken lightly, it's one to be revered and worn at the pulse points. It's not a body spray or a fragrance mist. Chanel No. 5 is a mature perfume that warrants a mature nose that appreciates it.
How does it compare to today's? If anyone has sampled the formulations of today, they know it is a far cry from the vintage. More like an empty room missing pieces of its furniture.
If you're not an aldehydes or floral fan, this one's not for you. Pass go, keep your $200 and buy something else. There are plenty of perfumes in our world to sample and enjoy. But most definitely, if you do want to try it, stick to the vintage.

on 11/3/2015 6:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

By The way they make this perfume nowadays,it is barely recognizable :( I am very familiar with the scent of this perfume because I literally grew up smelling it around me , my grandmother,my mother and many other women in my family used to wear it . I bought my own first bottle in the 90s" and I clearly remember that it was so strong that it was impossible to wear more than 2-3 sprays . I also clearly remember that first strong aldehyde scent that slowly turned into a soft powdery clean scent that used to last literally all day long . Later in the 00s" I remember noticing that the scent had become significantly lighter and I had to reapply it 2-3 times during the day in order to last . But the scent was the same so I was ok with it. I bought my last bottle about a month ago and I'm so disappointed:( first of all the actual scent is completely different. Now it smells much sweeter and more floral than soapy and that strong powerful aldehyde note is much MUCH softer. Nowadays they make it ridiculously lighter,you can barely smell it even when you first Apply it . It almost instantly becomes a light skin scent that lasts no more than half an hour. That's such a disappointment . I really wonder why they did that. It's the most iconic Chanel product and they have literally distroyed it

on 9/4/2015 1:36:00 PM

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Medium

I received this as a gift. I realize scent is subjective, but to me this smells like diaper cream and I can't stand it. I really like Chance by Chanel and was able to exchange the No. 5 for a bottle of Chance. I don't understand all the fuss about this perfume. But to many women it's iconic. I'll leave it to them.

on 8/14/2015 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is for the le parfume(aka really expensive version), I really like this except for the price this version is also less common. Also It's not a spray but a dabbed.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

LOVE this perfume. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd buy so many bottles! Smells amazing, doesn't last as long as I'd like it to, but it does go a few hours for me, longer on clothing.

on 3/2/2015 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

if you are under 30 it may be too mature for you just like Chanel fashion is. It's a great classic scent not at all floral-more musky...definitely strong and lasting. I suggest using the bath gels over the stronger perfume. They are decadent and strong but don't leave such a strong scent behind.

on 7/27/2014 11:37:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Child Alert! Don't try this if you are one.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My mom gave me this perfume as my wedding gift in 2007 and I'm still halfway through. It is and still is my mom's all time favorite though. Honestly it wasn't my total favorite but the scent is acceptable and I usually wear it for special occasions like dinner parties or weddings due to it high silage and superb long lasting power. It is seriously a very strong perfume, so use sparingly. It lasts all day so only a little is needed. Smells as if there is a billion types of flowers being squeezed in a bottle. Classically powdery but nice and warmth. It surely made me feel classy and in control. Super pricey indeed for me but will buy it again if I ran out. Reserved only for special occasions only.

Popular Fragrances