Chanel No.5

Chanel No.5

3.7

on 8/28/2011 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Lindyloo, I totally sympathize. I have struggled with No. 5 for years. Keep trying it in both EdT and EdP and find them quite different from each other. I think in Chanel the EdT are truest to the original vision for their scents, but with No. 5 the EdT lasts about 20 mins. on me. Not as fond of the EdP with its heavy 80's jasmine vibe. So off I go to get the parfum. I really couldn't believe how poor the sillage and lasting power were even in the parfum (1.5 hours tops) and I'm reading more and more about this problem throughout the entire Chanel line. I really hope this venerable house isn't bowing to current insanity and turning all its beautiful creations into overpriced body sprays. I have given it a fairly good rating because I can see how beautiful it is meant to be and what went into its creation but somehow they have dropped the ball on this one. Too depressing . . . .
UPDATE: I am finding this one doesn't fully open up in the warm weather, but in cooler temperatures, my oh my! I am layering the EdT over the extrait and it is stunning. Hours and hours of sexy floral animalic sillage. To be perfectly honest, I added a drop of Brent Leonesio's No. 8 with it and I'm in pure vintage heaven. Takes it right back to the good old days of dirty sexy perfumes like it used to smell when my Mother wore it. It doesn't get better than this, it truly doesn't. Still haven't developed a love for the EdP, but hey, that could happen too!

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have to laugh as I read all of the negative reviews on this legendary scent. There was a time when I was younger (in my early 20's let's say), and I, too, could not get a handle on it and could not wear it. It was a little too much of everything, and seemed to wear me instead of the other way around. It was strong, it was potent, it screamed from the mountain tops. It was sharp and shrill and sour and suffocatingly powdery all at the same time. Oh, what a difference a couple of decades make, however! I'm chuckling softly to myself, "Ah, yes, dear girls. Wait and see. Wait and see," because, let me tell you body chemistry makes ALL the difference. These days, I'm hard pressed to find a scent that is more beautiful on my skin than the fabulous Mme. No. 5. Believe me when I say that IT. IS. DEVASTATING. ON. MY. SKIN. Truly glorious. Roses and jasmine cream--with a little bit of vanilla or something sweet to beguile you. It's the one scent that literally everyone in my family asks me to wear (both children, husband, even the textbook "blunt" mother-in-law, I kid you not). They all go crazy for it. "You should wear that ALL the time. It's yummy." Which is funny, because it's not even my favorite perfume. I tend to be drawn to more androgynous scents--those with vetiver, citrus, wood, incense--"quirky" things that appeal to me on a more cerebral level, and that are generally not so appealing to the masses. However, I can appreciate the appeal of No. 5--and why it makes people want to hug me. Something in it just "clicks" and it seems to come from my pores--like my heart is reaching through my epidermis and pulling them into a warm embrace. I'm not even sure what possessed me to give it a whirl again other than I believe someone sent me some as an extra in a swap. I cannot walk away from it now, however. To all of you naysayers I urge you to give it time. If it chooses you (believe me, you will know if it does), there are very sweet rewards coming your way. :) ♥

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

To my utterly HUGE disappointment, this scent just doesn't work on my skin. The smell turns out somewhat flowery, but most really, really SOAPY. I am very disappointed 'cause I had imagined this to be mine "THE perfume" .. but I'll manage. Will not buy again.

on 8/15/2009 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I got this perfume as a present and liked it...at first. However the dry down on me was off putting. It just stank on me! I gave it to a friend who loves it & it smells really good on her. Lovely perfume, just doesn't work on my body chemistry

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have to say that this perfume smells awful! To me it smells like gross old soap. It reminds me of dehydrated piss in a bottle with a Chanel label slapped over it.

on 11/1/2008 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Chanel No. 5 is a classic scent but that being said alone does not qualify this as one of my favorite all time fragrances. Yes, it is "old school" but in the best sense of the expression-timeless, classy, chic. One may think of black dresses and red lipstick. It defies scent categorization, such as floral or woody. It is very hard to capture the essence of this fragrance using words. The best way that I can describe it is "powdery-but not in a baby powder or cashmere sense. It is a more complex type of powdery smell; perhaps one might say "sexy". I always feel so grown-up and sophisticated when I wear this scent. Since it is so very special, I wear it on special occasions when I need a little added confidence or when I want to dress up. For some reason, I never tire of this exquisite scent. When people compliment me on this perfume and ask what it is, I smugly say, "Why, No. 5, of course. "

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I may be a minority here on this - but this is a no no no! for me. Maybe it just doesn't work with my body chemistry. The worst was other people would comment on 'that smell'. The worst was guys actual telling me they didn't like the smell.

For some people it may work - good luck to you - on me is was something different, and not in a good way.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I cannot imagine being without my Chanel No 5. I've worn it forever but can understand why some don't care for it, using too much is overpowering. I think it takes confidence to wear only one or two fragrances rather than jumping on each new one that pops up daily. This is THE classic and when someone asks me what I'm wearing and my response is No 5 - I usually get "no wonder it's been around so long, it is wonderful!" I use the perfume and Elixir and I think I have saved every gorgeous bottle. Cheers!

on 3/5/2008 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My favorite fragrance...a classic.

on 3/3/2008 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Overrated? I would like to think so. Although many women like this scent, many women dont. I guess its a classic because its been around for so long and for no other reason. I dont care for it but I think you really have to develop a taste for it like with old cheese and the like.

Popular Fragrances