Chanel No.5

Chanel No.5

3.6

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is my favorite perfume. I mostly use the Chanel no5 EDT (1921) as this comes closest to how my beautiful mother use to smell. I tried the EDP (1986) but it is too harsh, too sharp and too spicy. The perfume is the best of course but also the most expensive. I have read several times that people think this is an old lady smell. Hello?!?! It is not!!!

Don't go by the initial first spray of Chanel no5 as the dry down is where the magic begins. I like to spray the EDT on my neck and on my clothes a bit so that the smell stays the entire day. And all through the day the different layers/smells of roses, jasmine, aldehydes, Ylang, Ylang, Neroli, civet, bergamot etc. are being released. This perfume makes me feel happy, feminine, luxurious, sexy, stylish, classic, beautiful, confident and timeless. They do not make perfumes like this anymore. The smell is also woody and powdery. Which is great for me as I do not like a flowery perfume or smell like a vanilla cookie which seems to be a trend lately.

Due to silly new EU law regulations regarding perfumes (such as "1 in a million people might develop a rash from this ingredient") many classic smells had to reformulate their masterpieces. They are using more synthetic ingredients now and the perfumes smells different today. Nevertheless, Chanel no 5 remains the most magical, mystical and legendary perfume ever!

I wear this all the time but on hot summer days it is great to use Roma by Laura Biagiotti. That one has a great dry-down as well.

on 11/30/2017 4:08:00 PM

Only the extrait concentration is close to the real thing, and I keep on buying some vintage bottles. EDT and EDP are certainly still elegant fragrances - far better than the sad new Gabrielle - yet they are not exactly Chanel 5 due to regulatory nonsenses that push brands to ruin masterpieces.

I bought this as 1 of my first “serious” perfumes I bought for myself can’t say I really appreciated it when I was early 20s. Now that I’m 40 I can totally appreciate this awesome thing that IS chanel no. 5 it’s soapiness & Chanel’s own Rosebeds cleanliness next to godliness this smells like luxury. It’s a beautiful feminine scent I think “can” take age to appreciate. I’ve got the soap also. Smells like freshly showered & lotioned skin. Sexy!

I have always enjoyed floral frangrances and I found the 50ml eau de toilette at Costco for CAD$59 and I could not pass it up.

I'll admit that although I have been lusting after this for years I was hesitant to buy it because of the "old grandmother" stigma associated with this Chanel classic. I now regret wait for so long. It smells just like jasmine and powder, so timelessly classic, luxurious and elegant and alluring.

The packaging is just gorgeous, like all things Chanel. I think I'm hooked for life.

on 5/25/2017 4:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

It's worth the money so I'm not going to complain about the price! I'm a 50's girl at heart and this perfume has stuck by me since I brought my first bottle when I was 18! Absolute love! 💕💕💕

on 4/17/2017 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

After pulling the scent strips out of all my old mags last night, I discovered a few great scents I had forgotten about. Chanel #5 was one of them.
In spite of its somewhat powdery artificiality, I really do love it! It smells like sophisticated luxury, class and comfort without a hint of sexuality; like that creamy cleanliness one has just after lathering on lotion after a long bath. It is a wonderfully beautiful and timeless scent that reminds me of my grandmother from New York, who was the epitome of everything elegant and fabulous about the post-war women from the 1940s and 50s. She grew up in a wealthy fashion family from Philadelphia and was always perfectly dressed and made-up. Although I don't know what scent she wore, it was powdery, subtle and may well have been Chanel #5.

Given how long this particular fragrance has been around, I suspect the majority of us of have some sort of associations conjured up by it. However, it's still modern enough that even my seven year old son loved it. That's reason enough to begin wearing it again. I'm going to start saving for a bottle ASAP.

on 4/17/2017 7:28:00 PM

Like almost every woman alive, I love this perfume!

Beautiful scent, very feminine and sexy. Whenever I wear it, everyone in the room turns around to try to detect the source of the smell.

The staying power is great - lasts all day and all night without reapplying throughout the day.

It is pricey, but it is Chanel, and one of the most popular and loved perfume ever, so it's worth every penny.

Repurchase? Yes.

on 12/12/2016 3:39:00 AM

Expensive like other Chanel perfumes but truly worths it. My mom and I adore it and always carry it in our bags. The aldehyde combination with civet musk gives it this uniqueness. I know there are lots of companies out there using these components but no one as far as I know could ever managed to make such an amazing scent as this perfume.

P.S: if you are not familiar with these components you will find it smelling soapy and this is due to the high concentration of aldehyde which makes perfumes smells sexy and alluring. So basically you will need to be patient to adjust with the scent and to be able to smell the deep and true heart of it.

Tips: and this goes for every perfume out there. You need to let the perfume cools down before smelling.

You have to sray it on your wrist or your arm and take a walk and smell it back again after half hour. If didn't faint away then the scent reacts with your skin which means this is the one to buy.

on 10/5/2016 4:52:00 PM

Love! This review is for the eau de toilette. The formula has changed and is easier to wear for me than in years past. I did appreciate the older formula, but found it too formal for most occasions. This is sparkling yet not loud.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

The first time I smelled this I hated it. I thought it smelled like a port o potty. I retested this fragrance in Sephora, well actually I tried the Eau Premiere and I fell in love. I bought the no. 5 lotion and layered it with the no 5 eau premiere. eventually, I just HAD to get the original no 5 and I wear this every day. it is the best scent, it smells so clean and good and it smells even better layered with the lotion. i recommend trying this on yourself vs. just spraying it on a tester because it dries down different on everybody!

Popular Fragrances