Chanel No.5

Filtered by age: 56 & Over
Chanel No.5

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Meh. I hate to say that, but just meh. My husband likes this and he bought it for me so I wear it for him because I don't want to hurt his feelings, but I would not buy it for myself. To me it's very boring and one-dimensional. I smell "generic rose" and that's pretty much it. And it doesn't last long either, at least on me. Granted, I have the eau de toilette, but if I had a longer-lasting version I don't think I'd feel any better about it, because then I would just smell boring longer. Honestly I'm not really sure how it's going to be such a classic. Maybe because it's not offensive. Don't get me wrong: #5 doesn't smell bad; it just doesn't smell interesting to me, and I prefer more interesting perfumes. Especially for what it costs.

on 5/12/2016 11:31:00 AM

Purchased a 3.4 oz EDP for myself, as I turned 56 today - - splurge, yes, but best ever. It's a timeless classic with a fragrance that lingers all day. The dry down is phenomenol. I only sprayed on 2 different pulse points and wow, this bottle will last a long time! No wonder it's all Marilyn Monroe wore to bed!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Smelling vintage No. 5 is like sniffing a fine wine to me. I'm not a fan of aldehydes and never have been, we don't get along too well, nor am I particularly fond of a perfume that is too heavy on the florals. But sniffing No. 5 is a whole new ballgame.
I was introduced to it as a child by my mother, and it wasn't my favorite. As a young adult, I was gifted it, and again, I just put it aside, not really appreciating it. I just have always leaned towards the oriental or gourmand side. I knew this was a hugely popular perfume and there had to be something to it, so why didn't I enjoy it?
A few years ago, a neighbor's mother passed away. She was in her 80's. One day, he handed me a carton of her perfumes, telling me he didn't know what to do with them. I took them, thanking him, not knowing what I would find in the box. After all, his mom was an older woman, so I knew there would be some interesting choices in there.
Lo and behold, there it was. Chanel No. 5, staring me in the face. Again. Daring me to pick it up and smell it. But this time, when I uncapped the Edt, something miraculous happened. The vintage inside that I swirled around was captivating. It had matured like a fine wine. It had such a heady aroma, I couldn't stop sniffing. This stuff smelled good.
The aldehydes have muted somewhat, allowing the civet to come to the forefront along with the vetiver. There's more earthiness to it that wraps around the florals too, but those florals will always be strong. There's also a muskiness that seems to overwrap the whole perfume. The woods come into play in the last phases along with a mild vanilla that surprises. It's strong with the real civet. And, you have to be a civet lover to understand the beauty of it.
It's not a perfume to be taken lightly, it's one to be revered and worn at the pulse points. It's not a body spray or a fragrance mist. Chanel No. 5 is a mature perfume that warrants a mature nose that appreciates it.
How does it compare to today's? If anyone has sampled the formulations of today, they know it is a far cry from the vintage. More like an empty room missing pieces of its furniture.
If you're not an aldehydes or floral fan, this one's not for you. Pass go, keep your $200 and buy something else. There are plenty of perfumes in our world to sample and enjoy. But most definitely, if you do want to try it, stick to the vintage.

on 3/2/2015 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I always love having a bottle this in the Parum Spray. However, the No. 5 body crme is unbelievable! Just a teeny, tiny dab give fabulous fragrance. My husband loves this. I put a very small amount on a week and two days ago and my after-bath sweats still smell No. 5.

on 3/2/2015 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

if you are under 30 it may be too mature for you just like Chanel fashion is. It's a great classic scent not at all floral-more musky...definitely strong and lasting. I suggest using the bath gels over the stronger perfume. They are decadent and strong but don't leave such a strong scent behind.

on 7/27/2014 11:37:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Child Alert! Don't try this if you are one.

on 3/29/2014 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have been wearing Chanel No 5 Eau De Parfum for the last 15 years. Its my signature,
however I have noticed the scent varies form bottle to bottle. I have returned 4 bottles over the years contacted Head Office Sydney (no one got back to me) I love the fragrance when its good I just purchased a bottle 200mls which is also somewhat different. ho hum. I will continue to purchase as its the only perfume I wear. Wish there was some consistency with their product and some sort of customer service. If anyone plans to exchange or return chanel no 5 you will need not only your receipt but the box it came in this will make for a problem free exchange.

on 10/21/2013 2:30:00 AM

I love scents with lots of layers and complexity. I fell in love with No. 5 well, a long time ago and if I have a signature scent this is it. I began wearing it at 18 when I moved to San Francisco and began to collect those things that defined my womanhood. I'm traditional with a streak of rebel. I resent change when I've found what I like but I seek it out anyway afraid I'll miss out on something. Why do I mention all this? Because it describes the impact the scent has on me. I've been to Paris many times and each time I could get any scent I wanted from the Duty Free shops still, it was always No. 5. I loved Chanel, her designs, her sophistication, her smile and she exuded many characteristics I longed to have. I hope they never rework the scent and feel it should remain just as she created it to be.

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This is a fragrance for real women, not little girls ;)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Would I buy this again? Mais oui! I have bought it many times since I was about 18 which is many bottles and years ago.

I have heard No 5 described as cold and " a frosty bitch" , but I find it elegant, sexy and WARM on me. It melds into my skin so that I cannot tell where I stop and it starts. That may be my personal body/ skin chemistry. A lot of frags turn vile on me because I tend to warm them up like a hot summer night even in winter, but I can always count on No. 5 to hang in there with me without breaking bad.

A little goes a long way so one dab on the neck is enough. I would not want to spray this. I don't know if the perfume even comes in a spray, but it shouldn't. One dab only, ladies. Well, at least for me. I don't want anyone to smell me unless they are within a foot or so of me. That is how I like my perfume - on me and YOU!

This is one of the few perfumes that doesn't give me a headache. I am that lady who runs through the cosmetics department holding her breath.

I cannot resist mentioning the godawful Brad Pitt commercials for this. What a weird disconnect between him and this fragrance. That kind of thing always surprises me- like the glamourous Charlize , Grace and Marilyn in the commercial for the oh- so- pedestrian J'adore. I realze they are trying to buy an image but sometimes the disconnect is just too much.

Popular Fragrances