Chanel No.5

4.1

on 4/17/2017 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

After pulling the scent strips out of all my old mags last night, I discovered a few great scents I had forgotten about. Chanel #5 was one of them.
In spite of its somewhat powdery artificiality, I really do love it! It smells like sophisticated luxury, class and comfort without a hint of sexuality; like that creamy cleanliness one has just after lathering on lotion after a long bath. It is a wonderfully beautiful and timeless scent that reminds me of my grandmother from New York, who was the epitome of everything elegant and fabulous about the post-war women from the 1940s and 50s. She grew up in a wealthy fashion family from Philadelphia and was always perfectly dressed and made-up. Although I don't know what scent she wore, it was powdery, subtle and may well have been Chanel #5.

Given how long this particular fragrance has been around, I suspect the majority of us of have some sort of associations conjured up by it. However, it's still modern enough that even my seven year old son loved it. That's reason enough to begin wearing it again. I'm going to start saving for a bottle ASAP.

on 10/1/2012 4:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I started wearing No. 5 when I was in my early 20s (so much for it being for old ladies!). I only ever wear one fragrance (as a signature) at any given point in my life and after several years I branched out and used other scents. Many years of Jean Paul Gaultier, a couple of Lancome Tresor and several of Bvlgari Blv Notte. Now I'm back with my first love - No. 5. I don't think I'll ever stray again. I wear it day and night, in jeans or dressed up. Everyone in my life says whenever they smell it they think of me. Oddly enough, I've never known any other women who wear it, so despite it being one of the most popular perfumes in the world I feel that it is uniquely mine. Anyone who thinks it isn't sexy is missing the point of perfume. It's the woman who is sexy, not her fragrance. No. 5 is stylish, soft, warm and incredibly feminine. It makes me want to nuzzle myself ..... And my (much younger!) bf adores it!

on 9/14/2011 11:15:00 PM

revisited my edp, the weather is getting colder...wanting something maybe alittle heavier for the season transition. I'm not crazy about the top notes at all, but love the middle and the dry down....I'm really really crazy about this....pretty sure I will wear this all winter, in small doses...:)

on 6/10/2010 6:00:00 PM

Isn't the psychology behind the choice of a fragrance so interesting?

Before I left the corporate world, this was my "power suit" of fragrances! Unmistakable, but a little goes a long was.

As much as I love it, I don't find it works for me as an everyday fragrance. Especially in the summer. The bath products are an exception. The bath oil, soaps etc are amazing anytime you want to feel really special. Sometimes I will even dab on just a bit before bed, for great dreams.

So even though I'm more of a Coco girl, I always have this on hand!

It's kinda cool being old enough to know how to handle a fragrance as iconic as this!

on 12/23/2009 6:42:00 PM

I was really on the fence about this one, my step-daughter bought this for me, so I probably wouldn't have bought it myself. But I love it. I can't stand it at first spray, really it's almost to much to bear, but once I get past the 20 min. or so, I'm sooooo in love. The dry down is to die for. So I suffer for a short time only to be totally in love. It's crazy but it truly stinks on me intially but it soooo worth the end result. Who says that there is no virtue in waiting?

I am shocked at all the negative comments on this fragrance. I have worn this for over 20 years. It's the only fragrance that doesn't smell too powdery, too flowery, too strong, you name it. A single bottle lasts me years, so it's worth every penny. A true classic gem.

on 4/21/2009 10:16:00 AM

This one bring back memories from when i was young :-) I dont have it anymore myself, but in 1986 i got a small bottle of the eau de parfum as a present. The smell was a bit strong for me, but when i used just a tiny drop it was lovely. From time to time i come across it in department stores. And if im not on wearing or testing an other perfume, i cant help myself but have to "steal" a drop from the tester. I may get it again some day, but one lippe of because i dont think of it as a must have.

on 1/30/2009 9:56:00 AM

My favorite perfume ever!
I have been wearing this since my 20s. It is what a perfume should be.
Soft and long lasting and individual. Not everyone can wear it. Some of it is due to putting it on too heavy. It should be lightly sprayed or put just on a few places.
I also use the eau de toilette rather then the perfume so it's a little lighter. I've heard the elixir is much lighter.
It's a warm perfume without being spicy or sharp. It's a floral and yet it's not floraly in the way many perfumes are.
It's a very individual perfume. It speaks to you. It doesn't just lay there and it is not like so many that are almost like carbons and without imagination or artistry to them.
Chanel #5 is a perfume that it's notes blend into one another seemlessly. The middle note begins subtle and blends into the top effortlessly and the same with the bottom. And they compliment each note excellently. I think this is what makes the perfume so unique and the grand master of perfumes.
There is a reason it's the best selling perfume of all time and is still around. I

on 4/12/2008 4:12:00 PM

This is my first review.

I swore by Chanel No. 5 from the first time I would steal squirts from my mother's bottle when I was sixteen.

It was nice to have a signature scent.

I was dx'd with MS and started taking daily injections when I was fortythree. I still used Chanel No.5 and couldn't figure out what that putrid smell was and I discovered it was ME!!!

That was last year.
Does anyone have a similar experience with body chemistry changing due to medication?

I now play with Jo Malone and the putrid smelling me went away.

on 3/8/2008 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love this fragrance and always have but I understand how younger women may not. Like all fragrances, there is a deep psychological component to wearing it. Many of the reviewers are right, it does smell "old fashioned" but I don't take that as a negative. If you are "in" to fragrances, you need to have the classics in your "wardrobe." And this is t-h-e classic.

Popular Fragrances