Chanel No.5

Chanel No.5

4.2

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is my favorite perfume. I mostly use the Chanel no5 EDT (1921) as this comes closest to how my beautiful mother use to smell. I tried the EDP (1986) but it is too harsh, too sharp and too spicy. The perfume is the best of course but also the most expensive. I have read several times that people think this is an old lady smell. Hello?!?! It is not!!!

Don't go by the initial first spray of Chanel no5 as the dry down is where the magic begins. I like to spray the EDT on my neck and on my clothes a bit so that the smell stays the entire day. And all through the day the different layers/smells of roses, jasmine, aldehydes, Ylang, Ylang, Neroli, civet, bergamot etc. are being released. This perfume makes me feel happy, feminine, luxurious, sexy, stylish, classic, beautiful, confident and timeless. They do not make perfumes like this anymore. The smell is also woody and powdery. Which is great for me as I do not like a flowery perfume or smell like a vanilla cookie which seems to be a trend lately.

Due to silly new EU law regulations regarding perfumes (such as "1 in a million people might develop a rash from this ingredient") many classic smells had to reformulate their masterpieces. They are using more synthetic ingredients now and the perfumes smells different today. Nevertheless, Chanel no 5 remains the most magical, mystical and legendary perfume ever!

I wear this all the time but on hot summer days it is great to use Roma by Laura Biagiotti. That one has a great dry-down as well.

on 11/30/2017 4:08:00 PM

Only the extrait concentration is close to the real thing, and I keep on buying some vintage bottles. EDT and EDP are certainly still elegant fragrances - far better than the sad new Gabrielle - yet they are not exactly Chanel 5 due to regulatory nonsenses that push brands to ruin masterpieces.

on 4/17/2017 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

After pulling the scent strips out of all my old mags last night, I discovered a few great scents I had forgotten about. Chanel #5 was one of them.
In spite of its somewhat powdery artificiality, I really do love it! It smells like sophisticated luxury, class and comfort without a hint of sexuality; like that creamy cleanliness one has just after lathering on lotion after a long bath. It is a wonderfully beautiful and timeless scent that reminds me of my grandmother from New York, who was the epitome of everything elegant and fabulous about the post-war women from the 1940s and 50s. She grew up in a wealthy fashion family from Philadelphia and was always perfectly dressed and made-up. Although I don't know what scent she wore, it was powdery, subtle and may well have been Chanel #5.

Given how long this particular fragrance has been around, I suspect the majority of us of have some sort of associations conjured up by it. However, it's still modern enough that even my seven year old son loved it. That's reason enough to begin wearing it again. I'm going to start saving for a bottle ASAP.

What can I say, I've sampled this fragrance in different versions for years and the verdict is in. The vintage eau de cologne is the absolute best! I am totally seduced by this fragrance, It's 5 star for sure. This is what the hype was all about! It has been discontinued unfortunately. The modern No. 5 is a about a 3 star. I have an edp from 06 or 07 and in all honestly, I tried to like it and used it a few times and every time I end up not happy with the end result. I really don't care for it much in this formulation, it's too bitter and chemical and doesn't seem to warm up to my skin, this one doesn't work for me. They are all different scents in each one you know, No. 5. The edt and modern parfum are nice, but I need a vintage perfume because I know it will be marvelous and of course as much edc I can find. I will settle for a vintage edt to lol! For those who think the perfumes are too strong you may like the bath soaps and lotions, they are wonderful. The scent is not for everyone, Thank God!

on 9/4/2015 1:36:00 PM

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Medium

I received this as a gift. I realize scent is subjective, but to me this smells like diaper cream and I can't stand it. I really like Chance by Chanel and was able to exchange the No. 5 for a bottle of Chance. I don't understand all the fuss about this perfume. But to many women it's iconic. I'll leave it to them.

on 12/13/2014 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Chanel No.5 was the very first fragrance that I purchased for myself when I was about 14 yrs old,I'm now 50..I've dabbled in other more trendy fragrances,but they're either to rich smelling or to cheap..I disagree that No 5 is old lady,strong and absolutely not cheap smelling..chemically I can understand at first,this is because it's an Adelhydic fragrance..I receive compliments every time I wear it.My daughter who if 16 loves it,but then again she's never enjoyed Body Splashes or the "Paris Hilton" perfumes...It's an elegant fragrance,drys powdery..It's beautiful!

on 5/15/2014 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

Bona fide, textbook Classic. I loved that it was (arguably) the first abstract perfume, smelling like nothing but itself. My mother wore Shalimar and Rive Gauche, so I don't have a family history or association with No. 5. The first bottle I bought was a splash bottle of EDT; Coco had just come out but I felt I should start with the benchmark. I didn't get it: too clean, too streamlined, not really...there? A little too sophisticated for an 18 year old.
Years later, my more educated nose (and brain) learned, compared, and now adores it. I like older bottles of the EDT which have more personality and oomph than the modern. And now I've just been gifted with the new EDP by my husband, and I love it even more. Plush without heaviness, luxe, gilded, but wearable with anything, anytime.
True luxury and beauty that anyone can own.

on 4/19/2014 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I can never be without it. This is what a classic fragrance should smell like.

on 4/19/2014 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

My husband got this for me while killing time in a duty free shop at the Orlando airport. I tried it right away, since I had not used any fragrance that day and so it wouldn't be competing with another scent.

I want to like it, but I can't bring myself to try it again. I certainly would not wear it to work while still in the "deciding" stage, so it will have to be a weekend project.

It's an iconic luxury fragrance with a long history, which makes me feel like I should like it. However, if I tried it as a blind test there is no way I would ever entertain purchasing or asking for this fragrance as it stands now.

I know it is expensive, and it is very clever packaging: 3 20 ml EDP spray bottles that fit into a sleek and chic black "lacquer" and gold case that looks like an oversize lipstick--you twist the top counterclockwise and the atomizer pops up--twist it clockwise and the atomizer recedes back into the case. 3 20 ml bottles is just over 2 oz of fragrance--even if I use this every day it will take many months to use up and I am really trying to have only 2 or 3 fragrances at a time that I use up before getting a replacement or something completely different.

I will edit after I decide yay or nay, but I think I am sadly leaning toward nay on this.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

When I was young I didnīt like this perfume. I thought it was for mature women. However, when I turned 50 years old I bought it and I felt in love with it. At my age I find it very sensual and sophisticated. It is not my signature scent, but I use it on special occasions. Certainly is a perfume that I return to buy when it's over.

Popular Fragrances