CHANEL No.5

CHANEL No.5

3.8

on 9/22/2017 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Channel number 5 used to be my mom's favourite until formulation was changed to add synthetic fragrance. People like my mom know the difference right away. Chanel, why? Is it because the bees are dying? Now we like to use essential oils from trusted sources. We stopped buying department store fragrances unless we know it is all natural .Why pay money for contributors of hormonal imbalance? We only buy perfumes that are 100% natural. We still have leftover fragrances from purchases of decades ago and samples.

on 11/3/2015 6:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

By The way they make this perfume nowadays,it is barely recognizable :( I am very familiar with the scent of this perfume because I literally grew up smelling it around me , my grandmother,my mother and many other women in my family used to wear it . I bought my own first bottle in the 90s" and I clearly remember that it was so strong that it was impossible to wear more than 2-3 sprays . I also clearly remember that first strong aldehyde scent that slowly turned into a soft powdery clean scent that used to last literally all day long . Later in the 00s" I remember noticing that the scent had become significantly lighter and I had to reapply it 2-3 times during the day in order to last . But the scent was the same so I was ok with it. I bought my last bottle about a month ago and I'm so disappointed:( first of all the actual scent is completely different. Now it smells much sweeter and more floral than soapy and that strong powerful aldehyde note is much MUCH softer. Nowadays they make it ridiculously lighter,you can barely smell it even when you first Apply it . It almost instantly becomes a light skin scent that lasts no more than half an hour. That's such a disappointment . I really wonder why they did that. It's the most iconic Chanel product and they have literally distroyed it

on 3/11/2015 12:24:00 PM

This perfume should be named "essence of grandma". It smells old and powdery. Simply horrific!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

My No. 5 perfume literally spoiled and went sour because I couldn't bear to use it over the course of a few years. What a shame to waste such a pricey bottle of juice. All I can say is I'm one for unique, sexy, and sophisticated fragrances that nobody around me wears or can pinpoint. This one is old lady trapped in a bottle. I don't care if it's Chanel, which I covet. Men hate it and it gives me a headache.

If somebody would tell me 2 years ago I will fall in love with Chanel no 5, I would laugh. I hated it a lot, but after having baby my taste buds changed. And I love love love number 5! I have it in every concentration: in pure parfum (which I love the most), edp, and edt. Every concentration smells differently. I think to get this magical smell, you need to use as little as possible. I started with pure parfum first- tiny dap on my wrist was enough. Soon I could not fall asleep if I didn't have it on me. Now I use it all the time. I don't believe that this fragrance is only for special occasions, life is too short, I want to enjoy it all the time. I have a lot of perfumes but number 5 has special place in my heart. Highly recommended.

on 4/3/2014 2:00:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

2013 became the year of no. 5 as I ended up purchasing the Velvet Body Cream, Intense Bath Oil and the EDP. I also managed to get my mitts on a sample of the EDT. I'd been avoiding no 5 for years,since the early 90's when I first got into Chanel fragrances as a middle schooler, due to the extreme aldehydic nature of the fragrance. Made it a point over the years to try it out at least once a year to see if my nose had changed towards it. Every time I'd sniff or sample no 5 my throat would feel like someone had stuffed a ball of cotton down it and it would start to close up. Then this past Fall I tried again on the EDT this time wearing it for the whole day a few times over the course of a week and I had to keep myself from running to the sink to brillo it off my wrist. Verdict was that the EDT was not working and I don't think it ever will. What got me hooked on no 5 though was the Velvet Body Cream after I was given a sample sachet at Nordstrom. I'd been using it off and on and I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. One night I decided I was going to really give the cream a try and kept using it before bed. This led to me falling in love. The vetiver and lemon note really pops out in the cream and I just adore it. I can smell the aldehydes but it's not as harsh as in the EDT. This then led to me buying the cream and eventually the EDP which is a more heavy 80's style fragrance, almost as if the perfumer were trying to skirt the edge of an 80's oriental but only a smidge. The EDP is heavier on the jasmine and vanilla and the aldehydes are there but not similar to the ones in the EDT. The EDP I can wear comfortably and it's definitely good for colder weather and can be worn with everything. I do believe now that my dislike over the years was due to the fact that I kept grabbing the EDT (and because I was familiar with the square tube like container as I had a bottle of no 19 EDT in the same shape). I know now that each of the different concentrations in the no 5 line is slightly modified. The notes are the same but tweaked up or down and differently for each concentration. Same goes for Chanel's other fragrances as well, btw. I've not tried the parfum yet but I plan to purchase a bottle in the future. I know that purists say that the EDT is the way to go but I just can't do it. Maybe I'll try again next year. I also noticed that when I wear the cream and the EDP it is very calming and keeps anxiety down. I did some searching and found out that no 5 contains rose and jasmine. Both of these oils help with reducing stress. Rose oil causes the brain to stop pumping out cortisol, which is the stress hormone, and jasmine oil is also a stress reducer and has been found, for example, to act as a tranquilizer on rats and people who are getting off of certain prescription drugs. I noticed the calming effect when I used the cream and later noticed that the EDP has the same affect on me. It also contains ylang ylang oil which has been found to be a stress reducer. Very nice to be able to not only smell and enjoy a scent but that it also contributes to a peaceful mind. Will always have this fragrance in my collection!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I truly have never understood all the hype with this perfume. Everytime I smell it, it reminds me of a very old man's cologne mixed with burned band-aids or something. Awful. I have also never got a pleasant sniff of anyone who was wearing it. One day I saw an old friend of mine... and I asked her when perfume she was wearing (so I would NOT ever even think of smelling it in the store), and guess what it was? You guessed it.
This is just not for me, but Chanel must be doing something right because it's been iconic for generations.

I LOVE Chanel No. 5, although I have to wear the eau de toilette version, as the parfum is far too strong for me. The fragrance is warm, and soft, and smells to me like cream soda and champagne and powdery vanilla. I have found it very comforting, and love to practically bathe in this stuff. This is one of my favorite scents to wear on special occasions.

on 11/19/2011 7:40:00 PM

I'm surprised by the negative reviews. I love this perfume, it was my Mom's only perfume as I was growing up, a couple months ago she gave me a small amount left in a very old bottle. She stopped using it because she's basically tried to stop being feminine at all (yes it's weird, but she feels very "liberated" not caring about what she looks like anymore). I had always loved the scent, but had been into body splashes in my 20's. Now that I'm 30 and I have a highly professional job and wear suits a lot of the time, a sophisticated scent like this goes very well. I ran out of what my mom gave me after a couple months of regular use and just purchased a 3.4oz bottle of the edp off ebay for 49$ including shipping (yes it's original). I don't think I would have paid the 175$ this retails at, just can't afford that right now.

I am not a big floral scent person, I do like florals when they're muted with muskiness, which is exactly how I would describe no. 5. I am in love with this scent and have been switching between this and shalimar for daily use. It does go on with a bit of a soapy smell, but w/in half an hour that has disappeared and I'm left with a subtle musky lovely scent that lasts most of my work day.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is one of those rare perfumes that absolutely wows me! I don't know alot about top notes and sillage etc. but this smells divine not too sweet but not bitter or sharp just beautiful! I think it smells a bit like coca cola :)
EDIT: while I absolutely LOVE this when it is first sprayed the dry down turns too chypre and powdery I hate to use this term but "like an old lady" (sorry it's just the description everyone understands).

Popular Fragrances