CHANEL No.5

Filtered by age: 30-35
CHANEL No.5

3.7

on 2/11/2018 10:52:00 PM

I am a perfume collector with TONS of knowledge and experience with fragrance. Here's my take on Chanel No. 5's timeless popularity: It's safe. It's clean, inoffensive, mediocre silage... mediocre everything really, so it's never the wrong choice for any occasion. It's never going to be the best choice either in my opinion, because it's really just not that interesting. lol But it really is curiously difficult to go "wrong" with it.
You could wear it with jeans and a Tee or a $5,000 lady-boss business suit.

Then there's it's "status." Some people simply wanna be able to say they're wearing Chanel so they can pretend they're better than everyone else. lol I got news for you, Chanel Isn't even CLOSE to the best fragrance house. Between it's safeness and it's notoriety, I honestly believe that's why it maintains its popularity. Because ANY woman can wear this. Who minds smelling clean, rich and Iconic?

I own a bottle for days I need to smell safe and boring.

I gave this a 4 simply for the fact that it can come off as strong and overwhelming at first spray.

When I originally received this from my mother and tried it I though “old lady” perfume. But you have to let this fragrance settle and mellow to see how it truly shines. It has a mellow sweetness to it complimented with an array of musk, woody, floral scents. It’s not for everyone but it has grown on me. I would wear this on a night out when I want to feel sophisticated. Instead of saying it’s “old lady” it would be better to describe it as saying “it’s not for little girls”

I probably wouldn’t buy it again because of the price.

on 9/22/2017 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Channel number 5 used to be my mom's favourite until formulation was changed to add synthetic fragrance. People like my mom know the difference right away. Chanel, why? Is it because the bees are dying? Now we like to use essential oils from trusted sources. We stopped buying department store fragrances unless we know it is all natural .Why pay money for contributors of hormonal imbalance? We only buy perfumes that are 100% natural. We still have leftover fragrances from purchases of decades ago and samples.

on 5/25/2017 4:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

It's worth the money so I'm not going to complain about the price! I'm a 50's girl at heart and this perfume has stuck by me since I brought my first bottle when I was 18! Absolute love! 💕💕💕

on 12/12/2016 3:39:00 AM

Expensive like other Chanel perfumes but truly worths it. My mom and I adore it and always carry it in our bags. The aldehyde combination with civet musk gives it this uniqueness. I know there are lots of companies out there using these components but no one as far as I know could ever managed to make such an amazing scent as this perfume.

P.S: if you are not familiar with these components you will find it smelling soapy and this is due to the high concentration of aldehyde which makes perfumes smells sexy and alluring. So basically you will need to be patient to adjust with the scent and to be able to smell the deep and true heart of it.

Tips: and this goes for every perfume out there. You need to let the perfume cools down before smelling.

You have to sray it on your wrist or your arm and take a walk and smell it back again after half hour. If didn't faint away then the scent reacts with your skin which means this is the one to buy.

on 11/15/2015 10:30:00 AM

My first ever fragrance from Chanel. I have always heard so much about No.5 over the years but have never considered getting one to add to my perfume collection. So two months ago,I decided to treat myself and bought the EDP purse spray set. It comes with 2 refills (20ml each) plus an additional tube already inside the beautiful black & gold lacquered case. I was told by the sales associate that there were several types of No.5 and each one has its own uniqueness. I specifically chose the EDP as i was drawn to it and i felt a special connection to the scent. It starts off really strong and slowly turns powdery as it dries. How i would describe NO.5 - Glamorous, confidence,sophistication and timeless. It may not appeal to everyone but i truly feel that this is a classy scent that is worth trying out.

PS : If i have to pick a second fave,it would be the Eau Premiere. :-)

on 11/3/2015 6:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

By The way they make this perfume nowadays,it is barely recognizable :( I am very familiar with the scent of this perfume because I literally grew up smelling it around me , my grandmother,my mother and many other women in my family used to wear it . I bought my own first bottle in the 90s" and I clearly remember that it was so strong that it was impossible to wear more than 2-3 sprays . I also clearly remember that first strong aldehyde scent that slowly turned into a soft powdery clean scent that used to last literally all day long . Later in the 00s" I remember noticing that the scent had become significantly lighter and I had to reapply it 2-3 times during the day in order to last . But the scent was the same so I was ok with it. I bought my last bottle about a month ago and I'm so disappointed:( first of all the actual scent is completely different. Now it smells much sweeter and more floral than soapy and that strong powerful aldehyde note is much MUCH softer. Nowadays they make it ridiculously lighter,you can barely smell it even when you first Apply it . It almost instantly becomes a light skin scent that lasts no more than half an hour. That's such a disappointment . I really wonder why they did that. It's the most iconic Chanel product and they have literally distroyed it

on 3/11/2015 12:24:00 PM

This perfume should be named "essence of grandma". It smells old and powdery. Simply horrific!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

My No. 5 perfume literally spoiled and went sour because I couldn't bear to use it over the course of a few years. What a shame to waste such a pricey bottle of juice. All I can say is I'm one for unique, sexy, and sophisticated fragrances that nobody around me wears or can pinpoint. This one is old lady trapped in a bottle. I don't care if it's Chanel, which I covet. Men hate it and it gives me a headache.

on 11/22/2014 2:14:00 PM

Bleaah what the heck did they put in this cr@ppy perfume?? It gives me headaches and nausea. Nothing special about it. Expensive also. Not worth it.

Popular Fragrances