Chanel No.5

Filtered by age: 25-29
Chanel No.5

3.7

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Can I start by calling this BAE :) Such a good product and the fragrance is perfect for when it's time to go out at night. I LOVE this fragrance!

I clearly remember smelling this perfume when I was in my early 20s. Back then I thought, "what the heck is so great about it that makes it so pricey". I guess complex perfume is also an acquired taste.

There are different versions of the Chanel No.5 perfume, and this review is specifically about the classic EAU DE PARFUM version. I smelled all versions in the shop. Only this one captured me.

It's hard to put my hands on what exactly this perfume smells like. By that I mean, it hard for one to describe what are the ingredients inside this perfume. The whole smell forms one compound, which might have something to do with one of the main ingredients--aldehydes--being completely synthetic.

The smell to me is feminine, classic, elegant and clean at the same time. To some people, it might be too "old school" (Smell is a highly individualistic thing. It really depends on what you like.). The smell of this perfume reminds me of a lady, not just someone with a mild mannerism, but also someone with independent thoughts and have had adventurous endeavors in her life. (Think about Madame Coco Chanel duh.)

What I like about the smell the most is that it's not too sharp or overpowering. We've all encountered people who would walk into an elevator and by the time all people get out of the elevator, everyone takes away a bit of that person's perfume. To me, that is too intrusive. This perfume does not do that. It's tasteful and unobtrusive.

Regarding longevity, I've found that it stays longer on fabric than on my skin. So I always spray once or twice on my clothes every morning. By the end of the day, it will fade to something more subtle.

I bought the perfume in the travel-friendly packaging. It comes with a beautiful sleek bottle with a twist-up cap, which already houses 20ml of the product. The set also comes with another two 20ml refills. So in total you will get 60ml of the product and a bottle. I think I like this convenient and slightly modern packaging better than the classic glass bottle.

Sorry for writing a pretty disorganized review. I realized that a review of a perfume was never going to be as helpful as a review of a makeup product, because all I can do is throwing subjective descriptions of the smell...OK I just wanted to rave about this perfume I guess. If you are looking for something classic, lady-like and elegant, give this a sniff. You might be mesmerized like I was.

on 1/29/2016 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

It is impossible to not give this perfume a five star rating, and I also think it's impossible to be objective about it, given its legendary status. When I turned 26, I asked my father for a bottle of this as a birthday present, and he got me a whopping 100ml bottle of the EDP (I love my dad). I figured it was time - time to embrace myself as a woman and declare it boldly - I am no shrinking violet! What I like about the EDP is that it is not as aldehydic as the other formulations, even though I have actually grown to like aldehydes through appreciating this fragrance. But my absolute favourite part of this perfume is the heart notes of lush jasmine and rose that just remind me of liquid gold, heavy and substantial and ultrafeminine. I actually think this is best worn with jeans and a t-shirt, upending the conventions of it being a dressed up perfume, and with a bit of a rock and roll attitude. I definitely reach for it more in the winter when heavier scents are comforting, and also when I need a boost of confidence. When I need to feel like I am a real woman- with a woman's scent.

I have definitely gotten compliments on this perfume, and I love the scent of it on sheets or warm winter jumpers...

This perfume is really nice I do enjoy wearing it out to dinner with my boyfriend. He says he really likes it too.

on 8/6/2015 8:34:00 AM

This is kind of a heady scent, a little old lady like, but there is something about it that is just so intriguing. I received a second-hand bottle of it, but I cannot help but to come back to it every so often. I like to wear this out to dinner- it has that romantic, old-school going out vibe. Although I certainly appreciate the bottle that I have, I would not repurchase because there are so many other scents I want to try!

on 4/24/2015 9:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

The thing with Chanel No 5 is that it really is acquired taste, especially on our time when the sweetest the fragrance the most acceptable from the general population.

There is also much talk about how reformulations ruined the once glorious No 5 so I got a vintage splash bottle of Eau de Cologne recently waiting for some kind of revelation like the one I had after experiencing both vintage Samsara and the current one. The opening is holy aldehydes galore and with prominent lemon and bergamot. As it evolves on the skin it becomes more powdery but not overpowering. There is noticeable musk at the drydown and it's incredibly well blended so I can't pinpoint individual notes but it never really warms up before fading.

That said, I appreciate it as piece of history since Chanel No 5 was something really novel for the time - and still very elegant in a tender, nostalgic way - but I'm mainly an oriental lover and my Chanel will always be Coco EDP. No 5 just feels totally out of place on my skin. It really is a fragrance for a true lady. Just not this lady ;)

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

(Sorry for my bad english, I'm working on it.) I can't give it one lippie. I just can't. It's a quality product: lasts a lot, has good aura, it's powerful. But it's just too much for me. It gives me nausea and headaches. I can't even stay in the same room when someone is wearing it. Maybe I'll learn to appreciate later in my life (tastes evolve with time) but right now is the antichrist in a bottle for me.

on 1/13/2015 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Horrible, stifling old lady perfume. I feel like I can't breathe when someone is around me who is wearing this!

Grandma alert! So disgusting. I don't care how iconic this is; it's overpowering and reeks!! I get nauseous just smelling the sprayer.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I so badly wanted to love this because it is such an iconic fragrance. In fact, I even wore it to my wedding (mostly because the bottle looks so timeless in photos). I don't love it though. I kind of like it. Kind of. It smells like old lady, its way too intense (I have the EDP) and it hurts my nose in the first few hours. After a while though, it mellows out and smells quite nice (although still not something I'd choose considering how many other options there are out there). I'm keeping it though for those days when I want to smell really mature and classy, because it IS classy and so iconic; just not sure if it is true to my personality.

Popular Fragrances