CHANEL No.5

CHANEL No.5

3.5

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I don't understand the hype. I wonder if people would still celebrate this perfume as much if they didn't know it was Chanel. It smells like talcum powder, and it's a scent I would rather buy for my grandmother than myself. And the price is absolutely ridiculous. In Australia it's about $160 for a 50mL bottle and $200 and something for the 100mL.

on 7/26/2009 12:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

i think this scent is a bit mature for me. unique & strong. i still like it though. i love how the scent lingers for a long time. i look for that in a fragrance.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Have you ever suffered through a long, badly-written book which shoves poop, nauseating boredom and twisted philosophy down your throat in an effort to be artsy--only because all the classy professor types adore it?
And then you get to the end of it, and you think, what the heck WAS that? Why is this the Great American/French/whatever Classic Novel? What was the point, aside from maybe the fact that the writer had bills to pay, and paper to fill up. You tried so hard to love it, but it wasn't your fault, it was the book. It sucked.
I tried reaally hard to like Chanel No. 5. I sprayed it on everytime I went to my aunt's place (it's always on her dresser), because I wanted to fall in love with it. Whenever I went to a department store, I'd be sure to snag a tester tab. It's supposed to be THE classic Western perfume, and the bottle is so stylish, and it's EXPENSIVE, of course it's good right?
I have reached a conclusion. Not for me. Maybe for the people who grew up in that "era," it holds a certain allure, a promise of elegance & beautiful table manners & cruise ships & whatnot (and if that's you, I'm happy for you)...but for the ones who were untouched by the romantic propaganda surrounding this fragrance...their noses, unfortunately, will sniff out the unglamourous truth.
A burst of rubbing alcohol & chemicals will greet you, dying down to a rich (not in a good sense) floral/talcum powder arrangement, unharmonious, unpleasant. There IS something unique about the fragrance which will make you inhale deeper, searching for something more...the essence of the blend, the heart of it...however, you will not find it. It lacks a heart.
It smells pretentious artificial, snobby, and stifling...much like a few Parisians I've known, and their city..ugh. If you associate Paris with all that is lovely in this vast, vast world--then perhaps you might like this chemical waste byproduct. I'm happy for you I swear, to each her own little world of beauty...this perfume doesn't fit into mine, though.
Giving it three stars because for many people, it IS the epitome of luxury, (and I can kind of see what they mean..it smells like soap in French hotels), a lot of nostalgia's attached to it, which is sweet, it isn't the most horrible perfume you're likely to come across, it can be kind of beautiful if you don't delve too deep, and also...it deserves a lippie for a historical star-studded following, right?
P.S. As always, body chemistry has a huge role to play in the fragrance experience. Every now & then, I come across a lady who smells wonderful in this...but that is too rare.

on 1/3/2008 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

By far my favourite perfume so far. I may be 18 (barely a woman?), but this definitely makes me feel like one. Very elegant, sophisticated, chic, and timeless. Looks great and smells great. I guess, in a sense, it's everything a woman wants to be.

on 7/30/2007 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

this perfume will never go away. never. ever. it is a true classic. very thick, one spritz is almost overpowering. not realy for school, but good for special occasions. this perfume is kinda makes me think old hollywood glamour and goes well with a little black dress. very out of place in casual attire. i think its too overpowering but if you spray one spritz in the air and walk through it its wonderful. its the kind of perfume that people walk past and think "that person obviously wearing chanel no5" it is very expensive but lasts forever! classic perfume that will never go away. ever

on 3/31/2007 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I agree with Rosehillcottage that you either love No.5 or hate it. I LOVE IT. But I can see why people would say it smells old lady like, but since I'm young I can get away with it ;) It makes me feel like Marilyn Monroe, deff a classic fragrence. I hope Chanel never discontinues it!!

Popular Fragrances