Chanel No.5

Filtered by eye Color : Blue age: 18 & Under
Chanel No.5

3.0

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I tried this out on my wrist at Ulta. Well, when you first spray it, it smells like cat pee. Not gonna lie. I sniffed it again after a few hours. After the pee smell went away, it smelled nostalgic and beautiful. I can't even really accurately describe it, because I don't know perfume jargon. It is like that time you tried drinking coffee when you were 12 years old, and at first you thought it was disgusting, but then you found yourself wanting more and more. An acquired taste. Strangely addicting. Powerfully feminine, a woman who wears this is a force to be reckoned with. I wish I could afford a bottle of my own.

I hate this perfume. It doesn't smell glamourous or anything of the sort! It smells like very cheap soap!
Not nice.
Ladies don't waste your money. If you really want to smell like cheap soap, buy charlie blue, it smells exactly the same but is $50 cheaper

I've never been able to like this scent. It's supposed to be a tried and true classic that grandmothers, mothers, and daughters will all love. To me it smells too strong and grandmothery.
To be fair, I've never actually WORN this scent. I smell it a lot at stores by spraying it on paper to see if I've changed my mind. But a friend and I both agree: we don't get the draw. My mom likes it and I think it might be a "mature" scent- like maybe I'll like it in a few years.
I do intend to spray it on some time and see how it works on me, but whenever I'm out I'm always wearing perfume already and I don't want that to mess with my impression. Maybe I'll make a special trip! ;)
Giving this a two because with all the awards and praise there must be something good about it, and I'm ready to have my mind changed. So one for my actual rating, another for promise. I'll update if I ever change my mind.

on 5/28/2008 7:24:00 PM

UGH!!!!!!!
I hate to sound harsh, but never has a perfume left me both so disdainful and uninspired. While some perfumes may be disgusting to my nose, I can often detect in them a certain level of thought, artistry (with the exception of the hideous Pink Sugar).

No.5, however, always manages to leave with a headache and a huge question mark floating above my head. I simply DO NOT understand the fuss about this fragrance! Sure Marilyn Monroe wore this, and only this, to bed (apparently), but does that make it good?

Both on myself and others upon whom I have smelled No.5, it is sharp and powdery simultaneously, making me think of Lysol or some other bathroom cleaner. It is sharp, very strong, and extremely aldehydic. It also smells like nursing homes I used to volunteer at. Of course, if you like aldehydes and don't find them to smell grossly synthetic, you will love this. However I do not find that this fragrance evokes any particular emotional label, as a perfume should. It is not sexy, romantic, fun, or nostalgic.

I just don't get it. I hate No.5 more than any other perfume I have ever smelled. I hate to offend the reviewer below me, but No.5, does indeed offend me greatly.

on 7/30/2007 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

this perfume will never go away. never. ever. it is a true classic. very thick, one spritz is almost overpowering. not realy for school, but good for special occasions. this perfume is kinda makes me think old hollywood glamour and goes well with a little black dress. very out of place in casual attire. i think its too overpowering but if you spray one spritz in the air and walk through it its wonderful. its the kind of perfume that people walk past and think "that person obviously wearing chanel no5" it is very expensive but lasts forever! classic perfume that will never go away. ever

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

One of the nicest scents I've ever smelled. So classic, so clean, and so sophisticated. And unlike Chanel Chance, I haven't grown tired of it. Perfect elegant timeless scent, and still unusual. The clean almost soapiness from it smells excellent. The bottle is classic and I will be using this one forever.

on 4/18/2005 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Very heavy...difficult to "smell." I know that doesn't seem to make sense...but it kind of confuses my olfactory senses. It's completely synthetic...that may be it. It's just an okay fragrance. Legendary, but mediocre.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

I don't get the hype about this perfume...it smells like your typical old lady perfume. I put it on thinking that the scent would wear down and would smell a bit nicer, but it doesn't. Too powdery for me, I prefer floral fragrances.

I love this. It's so Marilyn Monroe. My Granny used to wear it in the 50s but, that hasn't stopped me it's flirthy and fun and wonderful if you're on a date and want to make a good impression. Dab some on your pulse points and enjoy the aroma :)

Popular Fragrances