Chantecaille Frangipane EDP

3.9

on 7/13/2016 7:13:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Chantecaille Frangipane deserves more love, I think.( It got a pretty snide review in Perfumes: The Guide, whereas Tommy Girl gets five stars? Mystifying). As many have said, it is a basic vanilla/tropical flower combo, but it's the quality of the materials in this pefume that make it shine. It is sweet, but not too sweet, the sugar balanced by a subtle aquatic/ozone note. This would normally put me off, as the aquatic note must be one of the most overexposed in all of perfumery, but it is not a main player in this perfume. The overwhelming impression is of an almost edible tropical floral, deeply feminine, very soft, and on me, quite long-lasting. I generally don't spray perfume on my skin, so it goes on fabric: scarves and sleeves. I have no complaints about its strength or longevity, I keep getting delicious wafts of fragrance all day. Great for either summer or colder weather - again due to that wonderful balance of tropical flowers and gourmand elements - so it's a very versatile scent. I have a 100ml bottle that I bought back in 2007/8, whereas in its new iteration it is only available in 75ml, as far as I am aware. It still smells as good as when I bought it. There are many vanillas out there, and many, many white florals, but this covers both bases very satisfyingly. Recommended.

on 8/17/2012 4:32:00 PM

The fragipani is a crime against white florals.It has a gorgeous whiff of top note, grounded by the oh-so-familiar Eau de windex accord. Hideous. Like floral scented windo cleaner. Not for love or money. Complete scrubber, I cannot get it off me quickly enough.

To Read all 93 Reviews, Login or Join

It is a very lovely scent. Heavenly! Immediately, within 10 miutes it turned into a Vanilla musk on my skin. I really wanted it to last but within an hour, it was gone! No trace of it. It had dissipated ver quickly. I was sad, I really wanted it to be THE one. For a Very similar scent try The Kuumba Vanilla musk fragrance oil. You can not tell the difference between the two and you will save yourself roughly 165.00$

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This is my favorite perfume. A very light, sugary vanilla scent with a hint of floral -- perfect for someone who either has a 1) "heavy hand" at applying eau de parfum or 2) sensitive nose, or 3) both :-) Does not smell artificially sickening sweet, but just a lightly fragranced scent. Staying power of the perfume is great too -- my husband can still smell Frangipane on me after 8 hours of being at work. A staple for me.

on 4/20/2009 5:31:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Over the years my tastes perfumewise have changed a lot. I used to be totally repulsed by florals, but bit by bit, educating myself, I opened up to many roses, some tuberose, some white flowers and some tropical flowers. I started to search for my tropical flower HG and found it in Frangipane. I found OJ's too green and sheer, SMN's too old-fashioned (even if I respect and love this brand) and AL's too bold. I love Songes but wanted a fragrance more focused solely on Frangipane. Chantecaille's is neither too heady nor too sweet and not green to my nose. It's subtle, feminine and the lasting power is very good. Also, I find it suitable for every seasons.... Now, something tells me I need to try Tiare!

on 4/17/2009 9:21:00 PM

I LOVE Frangipane, but can't find it anymore. I bought 3 bottles over a year ago and am almost out. I hope it comes back until then I'll go back to wearing Shalimar which is my favorite go-to all time favorite!

on 6/29/2008 3:46:00 PM

What is wrong with me? When I first rubbed Frangipane on my arm, I couldn't believe my nose. I had to go downstairs to have my husband sniff it too and I asked him, "Doesn't this smell like cigarettes to you? How awful!" But he was like, "Oh, it's kind of nice, smells like candy or something." (We are both still working on refining and expanding our perfume vocabulary.) When I really, really tried to re-filter my olfactory experience, I could detect some vanilla and citrusy notes which would probably explain the candy reference - but it's still the over all "smoky bar" quality that lingers the longest for me. Which is not very long, by the way. I am giving this one two lipsticks just because I don't like it very much but at least it will be gone in a very short while. A full bottle would be a waste of money, regardless.

I absolutely LOVE this scent. It's one of my top fragrances for the last 4 years. Unfortunately it is becoming increasingly hard to find and I was getting extremely devastated as I only have 10 ml left in my bottle! Until today to my huge surprise, I was at a store looking for a perfume gift to give to a teenager girl, and I sniffed a perfume by Alyssa Ashley called CocoVanille, and I couldn't believe it!!!!! It smells exactly like Frangipane but for a fraction of the price. I kept layering the perfume to make sure that it does smell the same, and trust me it is EXTREMELY CLOSE.
UPDATE: What was I thinking? After buying the Cocovanille, I realised they really aren't very similar. I don't know what was wrong with my nose on that day!

on 5/16/2008 1:34:00 AM

This smells quite similar to Guerlain Ylang & Vanille on me, suggesting that it is more an ylang-ylang scent than a frangipane one, or that the ylang-ylang and the frangipane work together in both scents to create a hybrid aroma that I am associating with both as a primary olfactory impression. I have both of these, and the Chantecaille is the more delicate of the two; in fact, Chantecaille's lasting power is an embarrassment when compared with the stronger, louder Guerlain. There is also an idea of tiare flower behind the other tropical-floral notes; this gives the Chantecaille tiare's trademark starchiness (I always think of tiare as floral flour) without its fuel-like aroma. The vanilla is fairly thin here, but the scent on the whole has a thinness from the water hyacinth note. I find it incredibly appealing in the summer, when high humidity can cause olfactory claustrophobia.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

My sister bought me this for Christmas, bless her heart and I LOVE it!

I like florals anyway (my favs range from JOY to the whole range by Antonia Flowers) as they always stay true on me - more complex fragrances can tend to smell something akin to cat piddle on me on dry down! (Orientals in particular!)
I want to like foodie scents but they always smell yummy in the bottle but turn sickly and headache inducing on my skin.
So this is the perfect combination of the two - gorgeous floral with an underlying creaminess that is just yummy.
(I notice a lot of people said they get cucumber from this - I don't at all but Le Jasmin turns into pure cucumber on me! Weird how our body chemistry can alter a fragrance so much).
A definite favourite.