Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Original Mineral Veil

3.5

on 5/22/2016 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I use this as a setting powder over my MUFE Mat Velvet foundation. And I have to say, it doesn't do much for my shine, and even looks cakey on my face. I've had it for about a year now. When I do use it, I tap a tiny bit into the lid and then swirl + tap it with a big fluffy powder brush. So I'm sure it's the powder itself that makes my foundation a bit chalky/cakey looking. It doesn't have white flashback in pictures, so that's good. And another plus is that it doesn't break it which is hard to find with my sensitive, acne prone skin. I suppose that's why I haven't set it down yet. Looking for a good setting powder that doesn't bother my skin is such a hassle. And although I appreciate the effort of the powder having a lock that's supposed to keep it from spilling around inside the closed container, it DOESNT WORK!! So frustrating. Every time I stick it in my bag for travel, I open it up and see that the loose powder has escaped from the thing that clicks into place to prevent this. Disappointing, but there's more than enough to last anyone a life time.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I have been trying this out as an alternative to the MUFE HD powder. It's alright, but I find that it doesn't do as good of a job keeping me matte, as well as it has a tendency to leave a slightly pale cast if you use too much/too dense of a brush.

on 5/22/2014 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I got a sample of this in a bare minerals try-it kit from ulta. At first I was iffy about using bare minerals at all, but as soon as I put on the mineral veil I was hooked!!!

I've been using a tiny sample jar for over a month now and I can't wait to buy the full size. I have really bad skin with severe scarring and this definitely helps me hide my flaws a little better. I use it along with a bb cream and a pressed mineral powder and it helps me achieve a nice look.

The price point is right for how great this makes your skin look and feel. I love how weightless it is and how well it sets my makeup. I don't see myself switching to a different setting powder after FINALLY coming across my new HG.

on 10/28/2013 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I love this product as it gives my makeup a soft focus effect. The downside is it doesn't keep my makeup staying matte for very long and also I think the packaging is terrible.

on 8/22/2013 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I dislike Bare Minerals with a vengeance. I bought the starter set and ended up not being able to use it at all because the bismuth oxychloride in the foundation and blush made my skin itch SO MUCH. Its the kinda itching that makes you wanna rip your entire face off. It was so bad I used the set like 3 times then I had to stop. The mineral veil thankfully does not have that evil ingredient so I've been using it but I have to say that, like the rest of the bare minerals products, this is a big dud.

It is a loose powder which costs a bomb but functions like how I would expect a mid to low-range powder to perform. I use it over my bb cream and before i put it on, my skin looks smooth and silky but once I put this on (with an ELF kabuki) my skin looks cakey, no matter how little I put on. The powder seems to really emphasize the little bumps and imperfections in my skin.

The only thing I like about this powder is that it gives a nice tan tint to my skin. This is really helpful when I try some samples or new creams that are too light for my skin. But other than that this loose powder is really not worth the price. I'm using it because I have it and its such a waste to throw it away but I can't wait to move on to something better! Avoid bare minerals like the plague!!

on 8/7/2012 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is a pretty decent product - gives a nice matte finish and somehow minimizes my pores. BUT I wouldn't buy it again because I found out that the magical "MINERAL VEIL" is basically cornstarch + some additives. So I looked up how to make it online (google "homemade translucent face powder" or "homemade mineral veil") and just made it myself! I mixed a tbsp. of cornstarch, a 1/4 tsp. of cocoa powder (unsweetened) and just a smidge of nutmeg. Same results for pennies, NO weird chemicals I can't pronouce, and it smells better too! If this helped you please click the thumbs up button so more people see it, thanks.

P.S. Do not double-dip your brush into the powder if you want to avoid breakouts. What I do is tap a little powder onto my hand, dip my brush into that and then use any excess on my arms or wherever.

on 4/12/2012 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

HELP!! i tried it over my liquid foundation, major fail. i took a picture with the flash on and my face is completely white. and it looks fine without the flash. ahhhh! what am i doing wrong?

on 2/8/2012 5:41:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

I use this as a setting powder over my liquid foundation. I have oily skin and use a light dusting of this to mattify my face. It doesn't control oil that well since the product is so fine, but that's not necessarily what it's meant to do. Even used on bare skin, it helps even out my complexion. I know this product will work differently on different people, but at the moment, this fine and light powder is exactly what I need.
Before this, I was using various drugstore powder compacts which did the job but were a little chalky in comparison with this. I dust a VERY light layer of this over my face using a patting, rather than rubbing, motion. I then go over my face again with another light layer to really set my foundation.
...
I have no idea how this product looks over Bare Minerals, but I do like it over my liquid foundation. Some of my drugstore powders were a little heavier, and once they absorbed into my oily skin, they just contributed to the shine and clogged pore situation. I feel like this is light enough that it won't fuss with your makeup underneath and won't make your skin fight back with oiliness.
...
The loose powder can get a little messy, but now that the new packaging has a sifter you can open and close, my pot of powder still looks clean and new!

on 7/27/2010 9:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

I dont like this stuff, its blotchy in application (not fine powder), and makes my face ashy, not only that, changes the color of my foundation. I may try the tinted mineral veil, but I would rather buy Clinique setting powder, its much better. To be honest, I dont think this set my bare mineral foundation well, it made it more blotchy. so back it goes. Im just not impressed.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I have the newest one withSPF in it and it's the same...gives me a flawless airbrushed look l love this! The only thing that I don't like is the packaging it spills all over can't wait til they come out with the spill proof lock within the case.