Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Original Mineral Veil

Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Original Mineral Veil
Bare Minerals Original Mineral VeilBE Mineral Veil

3.7

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I got really into using bare minerals a few months back. I used to use everyday minerals foundation, but it has dramatically gone up in price since I started buying it in 2006, and with the shipping charges on top of that it seemed to make more sense to just buy from my local sephora.
I really liked the BM blushes, kind of liked the foundation but I find my face looks greasy halfway through the day. On impulse one day I grabbed mineral veil without researching it at all.

I used it for a few days and noticed a slight difference. Then one day I flipped it over and read the ingredients. The first two? CORN STARCH. The second two? Fillers. I paid $30 for a tiny little contained of flipping corn starch. I used to buy the same thing as a face powder by Sally Hansen, but at least they openly called it Cornsilk, charged about $3, and didn't try to pretend it was a premium blend of minerals.

Ladies, you can pick up corn starch at your grocery store, and you can order zinc stearate and magnesium stearate incredibly cheap online. No joke, 8oz of magnesium stearate will run you about $4...While an entire tub of Mineral Veil is about 0.3oz of product. Don't waste your money!

This has a great silky flawless finish. I recently learned that if you apply it before your foundation as well as after your finished that it enhances your skin even more and helps control oil...HOWEVER if you have blemish prone skin DO NOT use it!!! The cornstarch that helps control oil also feeds acne causing bacteria! Your just giving the suckers what they want...

on 8/7/2012 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is a pretty decent product - gives a nice matte finish and somehow minimizes my pores. BUT I wouldn't buy it again because I found out that the magical "MINERAL VEIL" is basically cornstarch + some additives. So I looked up how to make it online (google "homemade translucent face powder" or "homemade mineral veil") and just made it myself! I mixed a tbsp. of cornstarch, a 1/4 tsp. of cocoa powder (unsweetened) and just a smidge of nutmeg. Same results for pennies, NO weird chemicals I can't pronouce, and it smells better too! If this helped you please click the thumbs up button so more people see it, thanks.

P.S. Do not double-dip your brush into the powder if you want to avoid breakouts. What I do is tap a little powder onto my hand, dip my brush into that and then use any excess on my arms or wherever.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Bare Minerals Mineral Veil is a corn starch and mineral based setting powder. The brand says that this powder will "make the most of your makeup" and calls it a "see through but spectacular finale for any kind of complexion. Minimizing lines, absorbing oils, and softening your complexion. It gives you a flawless finish that's too good to miss. And best of all, it's utterly weightless. Just a bare veil of minerals that locks makeup in place and give your skin an airbrushed perfection." Bare Minerals offers a few different formulations of their Mineral Veil, I just have the regular one, no SPF or anything. I have a 2g (.6oz) jar of this setting powder, it was passed on to me by my sister in law, who didn't like it. A full size jar retails on it's own for $20, but this product is also available in several value kits. Bare Escentuals and it's subsidiary brands Bare Minerals and Buxom are cruelty free. I'm not sure where this product was made. Bare Minerals products can be bought through the brand's website and free standing stores, as well as at Ulta and Sephora.
Packaging isn't anything to get excited about. A clear plastic jar with a screw on black cap. The name of the product can be found on the lid. An ingredient list can be found on the bottom of the jar. This jar includes a sifter, which is convenient at first when you have a load of product, but gets in the way of dispensing product when you barely have anything left, like I currently do. Luckily the sifter pops out without much of a fight. Plain but very functional packaging, I can't complain.
Bare Minerals Mineral Veil is a very finely milled, soft powder. Bare Minerals has a very specific application method that they recommend for this powder. I'm pretty sure "Swirl, Tap, Buff" is the brand mantra, and it works well for this product. Mineral Veil is very different from the only other loose powder I've used; Palladio's Rice Powder. I feel like I only need to use a very small amount of product per application. And the results? Amazing. Bare Minerals Mineral Veil sets any liquid foundation or concealer and really provides a flawless look as promised. It gives a more refined, almost airbrushed, but very natural look to the skin, all while being practically invisible. I've used this powder with every foundation I own, and in a variety of weather conditions, and never once has my skin looked powdery or cakey. Mineral Veil blends and buffs in beautifully. This look powder even provides a touch of coverage all on it's own. Not lots, just a slight reduction in redness, and some oil absorbtion. Mineral Veil lasts all day when applied over foundation, but it will need reapplied if you wear it alone over bare skin. Obviously, like any loose powder, this isn't the best product for on the go touch ups, so it isn't travel friendly. Bare Minerals calls the color of their regular Mineral Veil "translucent", but honestly it seems to be just about the same color of my skin; more of an ivory than translucent. I hate when brands call very light ivory colors translucent; they usually match my skin tone (which I do not consider translucent). I don't think this powder would work out too well for those with darker skin. I think Bare Minerals may offer a darker shade as well, I certainly hope they do.
I really enjoy Bare Minerals Mineral Veil. I'm not a fan of their bronzer or mineral foundation, but their Mineral Veil setting powder totally makes up for their fail. The packaging is boring, but does loose powder really need a cute container? The texture of this powder is great and that totally translates into application, which is smooth and easy to blend. This powder is very natural looking on the skin and so lightweight. While I really enjoy this loose powder, I doubt I'd repurchase it. The price isn't too bad, but $20 seems a little bit much to spend on a powder that's comprised of corn starch and stuff. If you're on the hunt for a very good loose powder and don't mind spending a bit more for a great quality product, please consider Bare Minerals Mineral Veil. Thanks for this awesome powder, sister in law.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral

I have been using this for almost a year now.
Pros
- Makes my skin appear smooth
- Minimises my pores (mine are humongous)
- Controls my oily skin a little
- Healthy ingredients
- Does not break me out

Cons
- It has a pink undertone, not great for minimising red skin
- I re apply this about 4 to 5 times day to keep my face matt enough
- Starts looking too 'cakey' the more you re apply it, For me- by the fourth application it starts looking cakey so not too bad i suppose.

Overall its ok, I just wish It would control oil just a little better.

on 6/10/2008 1:24:00 PM

AWEFUL!!!! This is the one product that i feel i must review. I bought this because a co-worker recommended it to me as a good natural product. I received it 3 days before my wedding and put it on to test that day. Within one hour or less the area around my eyes had swollen and my whole face had become red and itchy. I had already researched the Bismuth Oxychloride and knew that it was horrible thing for some people. I was one of them! To ANYONE that is thinking of trying a mineral makeup you need to make sure this is NOT an ingredient! Bismuth Oxychloride resembles arsenic and it is usually produced as a byproduct of the processing of other metal ores, especially lead, copper, tin, silver, and gold, but also tungsten or other metal alloys. Do you want this on your face???? I think not! In addition, the molecular structure of this particle is triangle, which is why they tell you you must buff buff buff this into your skin. It has to be forced into the skin and by doing this, you are irritating the skin and pores. Bismuth Oxychloride is a cheap filler and any good makeup company will NOT have this in their products!
Luckily my face had cleared up by the wedding however my eye was still sensitive and red. Please please please do NOT buy this product it is a waste of money. Not to mention when sending it back for the refund it takes 2-3 months to get the money back.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Oh, Mineral Veil. I've tried to replace you so many times, because paying 20 for an ounce of glorified cornstarch is pretty painful, but nothing is quite as good. Yes, I have tried putting cornstarch on my ultra-oily face as setting powder, no it did not work! :)

Does exactly what it says it will--sets your foundation beautifully, blurs imperfections and generally makes your face look 100x better. Back when my skin was perfect on the magic-beauty-pill that nearly killed me (Yasmin) I used this alone over moisturizer with a little blush on top and my skin looked stunning.

Now I use it either over Dr. Jart Black Label Detox BB Cream (not loving that product as it is hard to source and quite greasy but it matches well and doesn't break me out) or Estee Lauder DoubleWear and it makes both look a zillion times better. Recommend but jaysus, if it were a little cheaper I'd be thrilled.

If you haven't used it since the Bare Minerals craze in the aughts, they've improved the packaging significantly, there are only 4 holes and you can seal them off (kind of like a salt shaker) so you can travel with it and better control the amount of product that comes out, no more having half the product in the lid at all times!

on 12/24/2005 1:35:00 PM

This beautiful product works well over any foundation, not just Bare Escentuals minerals. The reason I am writing this review is to recommend the technique of 'sandwiching' to reduce the appearance of pores that seem to be accentuated if using only the BE minerals alone or even using the mineral veil over top of the BE foundation minerals. First dust on the Mineral Veil, then the BE minerals (the foundation), then apply the mineral veil again, over top of the foundation minerals. Pores seem to almost disappear. They are definitely minimized, and I've got huge pores. I was so pleased to learn this technique on another board and wanted to share it here.
I'd swapped away all of my BE things, and decided to give them another try, and I am so glad I did!

on 10/21/2015 4:31:00 PM

I was skeptical of needing a setting powder on top of a powder foundation (Bare Minerals original), but this combined with the right primer made all the difference in making me look poreless and airbrushed for 8+ hours. On the weekends I just put on my Bare Escentuals tinted BB primer with SPF, dust this on top, and go, and my face looks great yet makeup-free. This is just a really great setting powder, the end. Worth every penny because I want my expensive makeup to stay looking expensive even hours after I've applied it.

on 6/26/2015 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This was such a waste of money for me. No matter what concealer I used, or how lightly I used this powder, it would make it go bright orange when dusted over the top. I would end up with orange patches dotted around my face, not a good look! As I don't like to waste things, I do use it over my nose to take the shine off and it does work in this regard as it keeps shine at bay for a few hours. The packaging is also the best I've seen for a loose powder and it didn't irritate my skin or break me out. Despite these pros, the huge con of an orange face means that I would never repurchase.