Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Original Mineral Veil

3.0

on 7/8/2015 9:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am usually a big fan of talc based setting powders. I mostly use them under my eyes to set my concealer. Silica based powders always feel very dry and heavy under my eyes and turn white with a camera flash. I was intrigued to try a corn starch based powder and honestly I really liked it. It set my concealer, didn't really feel that dry at all and also didn't change the shade of it... maybe ever so slightly might have darkened it a little bit, but didn't make it lighter which a lot of the talc based powders tend to do. It wore great and didn't wear of in patches like a lot of powders do. I was pretty impressed. I don't know if I will only use this as I really love my Ben Nye powders, but I am definitely going to use it more. All in all it is a great powder and doesn't give you that typical white casting a lot of powders do.

on 4/18/2013 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

This came with my Get Started Complexion Pack and of all the items, I find myself going back to this from time & time again. The powder is so fine and although my skin tone is medium with yellow base, it gave me a natural and fresh finish. Unlike most loose powder, that have that 'powdery' effect on the face that made me look pale, this sets my liquid foundation well. Love it because it's versatile, I can use it with any liquid foundation shades & during my less-makeup is more days, I use it to mattify my face after moisturizer application.

The con however is the packaging. For on-the-go woman like me, I rush to work every mornings and you need to spend time opening the lid slowly to ensure the powder does not fall out. It's really messy for me because onceI tried using it in car, the whole plastic separator came off and there's product on my lap and everywhere! Best used at home & stay on my vanity table after that incident.

on 5/17/2010 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hands down, cannot live without it. Beautiful finish, minimizes pores, absorbs excess oil and sets makeup.

on 2/7/2010 5:16:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This does work relatively well as a setting powder, but I find its effect to be quite short lived. Strange, because I can wear the tinted version with no makeup underneath in the summer as my foundation, and it lasts all day. It's not a terrible product, but I am not someone who wants to touch up my makeup throughout the day, so it's not for me. Also, if you have sensitive eyes like I do, I'd be careful of using it too close to your eyes. I find it very irritating if any gets too close.

on 8/11/2009 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Unfortunately, there is basically nothing that I like about this product, which makes me sad since it sounds so great on paper! I only bought the mineral veil, and have never used the foundation (I do not like heavy facial makeup, but liked the idea of using a light powder just to "set" my face and help keep it looking fresh all day). Unfortunately, this product failed me in all of my expectations, and even in some ways I had not anticipated. First of all, the packaging sucks. Some people may not feel this way, as I think all loose powders are packaged about the same way. However, this is why I usually purchase pressed powders. I travel a lot, and find myself having to stuff cotton balls into the package to keep all the powder from dumping out and then going everywhere when I open it up. Supposedly the fix for this is buying Bare Escentuals $35 travel brush, which I find just annoying. How many special brushes do I need to buy to use one product? And, perhaps I would feel more inclined to deal with these inconveniences if the product worked better, but all it seems to do for me is break me out worse than I have broken out in like a decade. I have read on some other boards that people seem to break out from wither the mineral veil itself or from little scratches inflicted by the kabuki brush getting infected. I don't know which of these issues is making my skin freak out, but regardless of the reason it is all broken out so this stuff is useless to me. Even if it didn't break me out, it does little to help control oil as it claims to do, and is in no way "colorless" as the SA said it was. My skin is very pale and a little pink in undertone, and this stuff leaves an orange tint to my skin that is obviously not a match for my neck (so it looks like I have on makeup, which I hate). I tried to use less and less each day, but it made little difference.

So, this was a huge waste of my money!! This might work for someone else, but was a disaster for me!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I was wondering around in Sephora shopping for others and ended up buying a Mineral Veil for myself because I love mineral make up. But I usually never wear the setting spray stuff after you put on mineral make up because my skin is so sensitive. I thought this would be a great replacement for it. It didn't do anything for me. I still look the same as before. No difference. I would not get it again. I will just continue wearing mineral make up without the setting spray or the veil. I am currently wear a natural moisturizer that holds my mineral make up all day anyway. It seems to work well for me.

on 12/27/2007 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

For years I used Mineral Veil religiously with my BE Bare Minerals Foundation because I thought it looked good. (Read my other reviews for more on that) Looking back on photos from last year, I now realize how unhealthy my skin really looked - dull, dusty and dead. I quit using BE earlier this year due to the horrible condition my skin was in.

Mineral Veil was basically useless. Why?
- After a few hours my skin was back to normal and very dry around the edges of my nose.
- Does nothing for pores. Absolutely nothing. You can get t5he same results by dusting cornstarch or talc on your skin. That's how bad it is.
- My pores were enlarged and clogged due to all the layering of the powders - BM, Mineral Veil and Warmth. Your pores do not need a layer of clogging dust on them daily!
- It might look good the first few months, but you will end up with damaged, clogged, dull and tired skin within a year or so and you'll pay extra to fix the damage.

Luckily, I stopped using all BE products, and the damage that Mineral Veil and Bare Minerals did to my skin has reversed after countless pore cleaning sessions with masks, lactic acid, and changing my skin regimen.

I will never use BE products again! Don't fall for the brilliant marketing hype!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have combination-to-oily skin. For me, this product doesn't provide all day oil control. It temporary controls shine for a few hours. And, after that, touchups are definitely needed.

I think that this is a pretty okay powder. It's definitely what BM recommends that you use in conjunction with their foundations to provide the perfect finishing touch. There are several versions of Mineral Veil that BM offers. I have tried a number of them. And, for me, they all basically provide the same results for me.

on 12/28/2006 1:01:00 AM

Really love this stuff, even bought the (overpriced IMHO) compact for my purse. Hate how large the compact is, LOVE the super little fan brush. It gets the powder in just the right places-sweeps across the forhead and nose and gets into the creases around the nose and chin.

It is a bit pricey, but a little goes a long way. It lasts me almost a year. (I don't have really oily skin, just tzone)

I finished a pot I received for Christmas, but would not purchase this again - at least not in the summer anyway. I'm so shiny mid-day that I might as well use nothing at all in the morning. I really did like BE there for a while, but maybe it's just a winter thing.