Garnier Fructis Fiber Gum Putty

3.5

Price: $

Price: $

on 10/23/2004 9:22:00 PM

Let me tell you what the secret is to using this product. I have very fine, wavy, dryish hair and in reading the other reviews here, I saw a common theme in people's various experiences with this stuff, stiffness, stickyness, and dryness. Ok, here's my recommendation: After applying just A TINY AMOUNT of this stuff and I stress tiny applied to the roots, this should be followed by either a leave-in spray conditioner and or a shine serum like Redken Glass which is excellent. Don't over do it on the serum or leave-in. At first, before I added the shine agents, my hair looked and felt terrible and dry, gummy and sticky. But, but.....I washed the part I wanted to apply it on (my bangs) and lo and behold, after applying the shine stuff, my hair is indeed full of volume, shine, and definition. If you follow my advice, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

For the sake of reference, my hair is slightly wavy and sort of medium-coarse due to lots of silver. I've used Garnier Fructis Fiber Gum Putty on a pixie cut, shoulder-length and everything in between. It works best for me when I use it sparingly to define ends or pieces, not as an all-over product. The texture and definition I get from it have been hard for me to find with most drugstore brands. I think it's a great value.

Heavy fragrance often bothers me, but I love the way this stuff smells and wouldn't mind if it were to linger more. As an unexpected bonus, I enjoy the packaging: scooping it out of the bright green jar is just fun.

on 5/3/2008 10:25:00 PM

I have a razored, choppy, messy pixie cut - think Rihanna's current cut - with angled bangs. My hair is very fine, but I have a lot of it. My stylist used this on me and I really like it. It makes my hair look messy without being crunchy or spiky. And unlike a lot of products used at salons, it's totally affordable!

I don't know if I'd use this on longer hair - I think it would have been too heavy when I had long hair. But on a short choppy cut, it's perfect.

on 2/12/2008 5:18:00 PM

I like this product quite a bit. I have BSL fine and thin naturally curly hair. I wear my hair in various ways - straight, curly, and wavy. I like to put some of this in wet hair and twist into a bun, then air dry, to get nice waves. It also works well for slicking back parts of my hair close to my face, areas that tend to frizz out or stick out at odd angles. It does make my hair hard and crunchy, but I can easily scrunch or brush that out when hair is dry. I've also tried a bit of this on dry hair to tame frizz and to straighten. The trick is to not use much. It's got the same smell as other Garnier styling products, which I like. Nice little drugstore find.

on 8/21/2006 4:40:00 PM

I was looking for an alternative to my Alterna Molding creme and I DID! It actually works,,who knew for $3 bucks at CVS!!! I love the color of the container, ( as if that is of any importance!) Anyway, It is the same consistancy of the Alterna brand ..although I do still love my Alterna..this is waaaaaaaay cheaper and it works....so there, I just saved myself like another $17.00 bucks!! Horraayyy!!!I can scrunch my hair or slick it to the side...it does not leave my hair stiff or sticky!! I'll repurchase!!

I am African American and I use this for smoothing my edges so I don't have to use heat while wearing my hair straight .Im not sure the intended purpose but that's what I use if for it has good hold on my natural curls as well

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I lost a lot of hair after my 2nd pregnancy and it grew back! However, in this growing out phase, I ended up with a lot of little hairs on my hairline that stood straight up! I needed something to plaster them down. This totally did the trick. I like it because it doesn't make my hair greasy (I have to be careful with a lot of hair products for this reason) I'm very pleased with its performance as well as it's non-oily qualities.

on 4/7/2010 3:09:00 PM

I have a short haircut and very thick hair. This product works as well as any salon brand. Plus it's under $5. My hair looks good all day and doesn't feel gunky.

I have a very choppy, pixie cut; and I was looking for something besides pomade to give some distinction in my hair. I think this product really worked. Gave quite a bit of volume and was great if i wanted to tease it, so it provides for an excellent base. I wouldn't use it for long hair, though.

on 4/7/2006 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this stuff around last year or so to use on my layered chin-length hair. I was into the whole flipped-out hair style, which I never really successfully achieved b/c my hair is thin, flat, and very fine. However, I started using this recently for another purpose. Since my natural hair color has been growing, my hair has become thin and flat again, but I don't want to put chemicals in my hair again just to make it "thicker" or "course". The length is past my shoulders and it has a few layers. This year has been the only year I can actually "scrunch" my hair to where it looks decent. When I tried it before, people asked me why I messed my hair up not knowing I was actually trying to make it look "cute" lol! Anyway, I gave this product a try while trying to scrunch my hair and it worked very nicely. My hair wasn't as frizzy, it smelled nice, and my "scrunches" looked better than w/ just using gel, serum, and hairspray. I now use this in place of my gels. Another product I sometimes combine this w/ is the Aussie Sprunch Spray. I love the smell of that product, heh. You don't need to use a lot of product because it's very messy and it spreads. Never use it on one section of the hair, either. I learned that the hard way... =x I put a small size into my hand and rub my palms together, and then I turn my hair upside down and just start scrunching over and over until I throw my hair back and see if I need more product or not. Its works very nicely and if you're someone whose hair is really hard to scrunch using other products, I recommend this highly. I also recommend a hairstyle w/ lots of layers or some short pieces of hair. If not, your hair will probably look like a tangled mess! =]

Popular Styling Products