Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 12/16/2018 8:56:00 PM

I don't wear eye shadow everyday, but for special occasions where I want it to last --- this is just the product! It has a slight sand colored hue to it but doesn't seem to affect the colors of whatever shade I want to wear. However, I'm not sure how this would play out on darker complexions. I've found it important to use as little product as possible to avoid any crepiness issues. The tube lasts a long time but that's partially because I do not use it daily. I love the packaging and plan to repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I've tried many methods of eye priming as a person with horrifically oily eyelids. Concealer, foundation, other primers, and this lovely little potion works magic. I live in a very humid, hot country and I usually don't expect many eye primers to hold more than two to three hours, but UD has once again exceeded my expectations. It comes in a little tube which looks like a squeeze bottle but it has a doe-foot applicator.

The primer goes on really smoothly and creates a slightly tacky base once blended out. I've seen people use a brush to buff the primer in but I personally didn't find it working too well. I prefer tapping it in with my fingers or a silicone sponge. Using a brush created streakiness, which didn't allow even application of eyeshadow.

I have found one problem where if I use concealer below the eye primer (when I'm highlighting my brow bone), it seems to layer on top oddly and creates patchiness that is hard to remove without taking off everything and doing it again, so I avoid putting concealer near my eyelid.

This primer is a true legend. Did UD put real magic in a tube? Is that why it's called a potion? It kept my eyeshadow and eyeliner on for 8+ hours and looked like I had just applied my eyeshadow. No bleeding, no fall out, no smudging.

It is a little pricey - the mini tube I got at Sephora was $16 while the full sized one was $35, but my current tube has lasted a few months and is still pretty full so I do believe it's well worth the price for the quality and quantity.

Keep working your magic, UD.

on 9/25/2018 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Prevents eyeshadow from creasing even after 14 hours. I have oily lids and eyeshadows and liners would crease after about 3 hours without a good eyeshadow base. I like the wand for ease of application, but some may find it unhygenic after a while. I only use a little bit on each eye, so 1 tube lasts for many months of daily use. Performs about the same as the nars eyeshadow base. For a (much) cheaper alternative, go for Canmake eyeshadow base (the one in the tube, not the pan. They have 2 types. The one on the pan creases after a few hours). Canmake is more silicone-y, but function wise its just as good as Urban Decay as it makes my eyeshadow lasts all day.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Excellent product AND it works as a concealer. I get greasy eyelids and this helps set up a more matte base before applying eye shadows.

This stuff is my holy grail in my makeup collection, its the only one that seems to work for me. I've tried others and nothing performs like this one. The only thing I hate about it is they like to change the packaging a lot I've had both versions from the squeeze tube to the doe-foot applicator and I find the squeeze tube the best because you can get just a little bit you seem to have more control. This also great for glitters too and chrome shadows it work for everything just love it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Such an incredible eyeshadow primer, the first I’ve tried and it’s already a favourite and possibly HG. In my experience, does a lot more than when I’ve tried to use concealer as a base. Helps to make shadows more vibrant and pop, last longer and apply better/smoother. I intend on either repurchasing this or trying the Anti-Ageing Eyeshadow Primer Potion by Urban Decay or testing Too Faced’s Shadow Insurance. The only thing I don’t like about this primer is the price tag but luckily mine’s a sample size and I only had to pay $20 AUD for it. Another plus is it seems like a lot of product, even in the sample size and lasts forever.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

It seems like forever since I purchased this and I still have over half the tube left! This is always a staple before using eye m/u as it helps it glide on and stay put - in my case at least 7-8 hours. No fading, shifting or creasing. It goes on beige but vanishes/becomes transparent once applied. I don't wear eye m/u very often but when I do this is always a part of the routine. In fact I'm not sure I would be able to apply anything now without applying this first!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I'm constantly trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample/trial sizes from e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
3. Pigmentation/Anti-Ageing: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Facial Treatment Serum
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

My favorite eyeshadow primer so far! I'm glad I picked this up on a sale again! A little of this product goes a long way and it will last you a long time so the price point is justifiable. I can not do my eyeshadow without this product, so it's definitely a staple for me. I do have to set it with some powder for maximum longevity and anti-creasing. If your eyelids are very oily like mine and you find yourself struggling a bit with this product I would recommend setting it with powder like I do.

on 7/13/2018 4:36:00 PM

I got myself the trial size which is awesomely available to start with. I do not use eyeshadow but have creasing in laugh lines when wearing foundation and have been reading this might help. It really does. I use the applicator directly on skin and it is well made and multitask. I love the container really and the ''brush'' is really user friendly. I find it hard to blend on face but since it's not it's intended purpose it only makes sense. makes sure to blend well it it is for foundation creasing otherwise it'll be patchy. Pricey but now 50% off at ullta so it's time to get one :)

on 7/5/2018 3:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This is one of my must have items! I've been using this for many years and never wear eye shadow without using this first. Even my 11 year old daughter was playing dress up with use friend and I heard her holler "stop you can't put eye shadow on until you put Urban decay prime shadow on" lol. A full sized tube is 22–24 dollars depending on which variant you pick. The price is a good value for the amount in tube vs the tiny amount needed to each lid. If that is more than like to spend, the mini version is half the price and still a lot of product. Why is this a must have for me? Because when I apply this prior to shadow, it takes my eye shadow game to the next level. It gives me a primed surface that gives me a smooth blurred lid for optimal shadow application. It enhances the color worn, helping my eye-shadow be the most vibrant and bold color it can. It keeps my shadow from ever creasing or fading and holds true to that just applied look for up to 24 hours. It goes on easily, taking a small amount and dabbing it over my entire lid. It dries quickly and I've never had it have any negative effect to my shadow application. I have this in original (sheer nude) anti aging, skin (pale nude shimmer) eden (matte nude) and freebase (white). I wear them all and rotate thru them depending on the look I am going for. My only complaint is I prefer the old style to this new doe foot applicator but its not a negative about the product as much as me not liking changes. I recommend this to everyone. I don't understand how or why people wear eye shadow without priming for optimal wear each time

Video Reviews & Tutorials