Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 5/23/2008 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

OMG, you do NOT have to cut the tube up to get more product out. Not only is it excessive but its a complete waste of time. Sorry darkangelic, but there is a MUCH MUCH SIMPLER WAY. Hate to shoot down your suggestion.

You need to do only ONE thing and it will take you 10 seconds. After doing so you will get probably 1-2 more months of product from it. I work in the industry and I tell everyone who I sell this to (either new users or people repurchasing). After I do so, I instantly become their new best friend.

There is a little plastic insert at the top of the applicator opening. This plastic insert is what sucks the excess product off the applicator so you don't have a mess everytime you use it. Similar inserts are used in lipglosses as well. When you get to the point were you think you don't have anything left in it, just pull this insert out. You will probably just have to use a needle nose pliers to get a good enough grip on it to get it out. That's it. Problem solved. Do NOT pull it out until this point. If you pull that insert out of a brand new tube, you'll have a mess on your hands. Do not pull it out until you think the product is positively DEAD.

The product is an HG product but yes, the packaging sucks. Its good to see that Urban is finally taking notice and is looking to change it. If you are wanting an alternative to UDPP and want something that truly will work JUST AS WELL, the new Bare Escentuals eye primer is practically the same product and the packaging is a touch better (click pen type applicator). I've field tested it with that on one eye, the UDPP on the other and it held up just the same. I am not a fan of Bare Escentuals so I naturally would prefer to purchase from Urban, but its nice to know there is a suitable alternative out there if you can't get your hands on the UDPP for some reason.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

UDPP is a makeup staple that I use everyday, whether I follow with shadow or not. I've got combination skin and oily lids. My eye area is not particularly sensitive.
UDPP is a clear liquid primer that is applied to clean skin, under eye makeup. It is designed to enhance makeup application and wear.
Prior to UDPP, most eye makeup was not an option for me. Especially powder shadows and non-waterproof liner. Powder shadows would apply unevenly and crease during the day. Non-waterproof liner would end up migrating everywhere: my lid, crease, outer corner of eye, lower lash line, etc. What bothered me most though was how unpolished and shiny my eye area looked, even on days I wore no eye makeup at all.
Post UDPP, the full spectrum of eye makeup is mine to experiment with again! Powder shadows apply evenly and wear like iron -- from the most expensive boutique brands to the least expensive drugstore options. My eye makeup doesn't come off until I take it off! I still prefer waterproof liners, but UDPP allows me to wear non-wp liner and eyeshadow smudged as liner without any problems. Even days when I choose to wear no eye makeup, UDPP keeps my lids matte and polished looking.
I prefer UDPP to other oily-lid options, like MAC Paints, as UDPP does not add any color or shimmer to my eye area. UDPP is the ultimate me only better for my eye area. (I do own, wear and love MAC Paints, but I prefer to use them for the color and shimmer they impart and not as a base for other eye makeup.)
My main complaint is the packaging. I can overlook the gimmicky genie shaped bottle, but as others have discovered, there is quite a bit of product left in the container when the wand appears to go dry. Removing the plastic stopper reveals several weeks worth of product I simply would have thrown in the trash!
UDPP is the only product I've awarded a full 5 lippies. This primer allows me to not only wear any eye makeup I desire, but helps that makeup stay put until I remove it -- heat, humidity, workouts, sweat -- nothing budges from my eyes. Love, love, love! This is one of a handful of beauty items that I purchase a backup, just in case.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Ladies, I emailed Urban Decay to complain about their packaging and here is their response, let's hope they really do something about the terrible packaging of this product:

"Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We really appreciate hearing from our customers and value their feedback. Please know that we are taking the Eyeshadow Primer Potion packaging problem very seriously here and are currently working on a package redesign (and have been ever since we first started hearing about this). Were not exactly sure what the new packaging will look like, but we are experimenting with several options so that we can get the best one out to our customers as soon as possible. In the meantime, please dont feel compelled to cut open the bottle. Our Product Development team here did some tests and found that with a few bangs and a hard surface, you can still get most of the product out . . . we know this isnt ideal, but its a lot safer. Thank you once again, for sharing your thoughts with us. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to write back or give us a call toll-free. But please note that we are working on this packaging problem as we speak its our top priority here. I hope you enjoy the rest of your day and have a nice long weekend!"

Jocelyn

Urban Decay Customer Service

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I can't believe how stubborn I am when I refused to try this, insisting MAC Paint's are my HG under eyeshadows.

To make a short story long, I stood/was assailed inside an overcapacity sweaty, unventilated bar during a punk show for 5+ hours tonight. If 5 hours doesn't sound like much, imagine an old pirate/sailor bar brawl, an Olivia Newton John full on sweatathon, and a lot of arms, backs and shoulders slamming into my face. And a dude that looked like the ghost of John Belushi come back to beat the crap out of people and scream obscenities at pedestrians. He was standing next to me too. Oh, be still my heart Primer Potion.

My makeup was PERFECT when I left that poophole venue, which is great - since I was not. Thanks Labatt and Jagermeister, you really pull through.

_Actual review content_: The volume of product inside the vial is .33oz - about 50% more than a MAC Paint tube, and twice the amount of a Paint Pot. To make things oh-so-much sweeter - I don't even use a *dab* of this stuff. I have small almond eyes so I just swipe my finger across the top of the wand - Think of that tiny bit of residue near the top of the cap, where you screw the lid on. I use that much each time for both eyes and it has proven to perform the same as using a thicker, more thoroughly applied layer.

At the rate at which I've only been using the residue from opening/closing the vial, this $18 tube will last me ages. Hopefully until I'm too old to even need Primer Potion, because I'll stop drinking Labatt 50 and living in sweaty bars.

FYI: I also have horribly sensitive eyelids. Most long wear eye products irritate them, including waterproof mascaras and MAC Liquidlast liners. UDPP on the other hand smoothes on my eyelids without tightening (Key: Use less) and ALL of my makeup still comes off with one swipe of jojoba oil - which it never did before.

Primers that bit the dust over the years for me: Laura Mercier Eye Basics ($22) - didn't last, Fyrinnae - takes forever to get, requires shaking (vegan though), MAC Prep + Prime Lid - epic fail, Clinique - creased, and MAC Paint Pots - nowhere near the long wear of Paints.

Price: Sephora, $18 (CAD). Available during holiday months in a twin-pack at a great price point.

on 6/10/2008 12:55:00 AM

I'm on my third day of this product, and I had to write my still-fresh impression of how eye makeup holds up in comparison to the days without UDPP. For reference, I'm Asian but have pretty deep eye creases (for an Asian person). My eyelids aren't particularly oily, but on heat wave days I get some unsightly transference of liquid eyeliner into my crease, leaving a questionable blackish-gray line that's visible whenever my eyes are closed. I don't know how noticeable that is but as I blink and look down a lot, I imagine it's more noticeable than I think. Nothing that can't be fixed with a quick swipe of the fingers, but I prefer not having to think about it at all.

UDPP completely stops any and all migration, even in ridiculously hot and humid weather like today's. If you like that really fresh eye makeup look (like you've just done it), you'll probably love this product. I actually prefer my eyeshadow to look a little "worn-in," so that's something I'll have to figure out with this base - it's really a matter of application technique, but I don't know if I want to spend the time perfecting it. I'll update on that in an edit.

One reviewer recommended using a TINY AMOUNT, not even rice-grain size, and I absolutely agree. I had time to play around with the product this morning so I tested out using different amounts. If I applied more than the sheerest layer, the product made my non-crepey eyes look crepey, and balled up as I tried to blend my eyeshadow. Not an attractive look. I got the best results with a very sheer layer of the product, which then acted like a sticky-mat for my eyeshadow.

After correct application? Unbelievable freshness from 9AM-9PM (when I took my makeup off), spent actively and sweatily in 98 degree weather. My eyelids never looked oily, yet never felt dry. No sketchy migrations, and the base seemed to help me look more bright-eyed - although that might just be the makeup I put on top of it. Regardless, it stayed in place.

Some final notes: someone else listed the ingredients, so I'll leave those out of this review. My eyelids aren't very sensitive, and there's been no irritation to my skin whatsoever. The base itself is beige, but becomes transparent after being spread sheerly over my lids. I wonder if the beige color affects those of darker skin tones than me. The consistency of the base is smooth when spread on, but seems to have "grip" to it. The price was US $16, which seems about right to me - it's small, but you don't need much of it - and if you google "UDPP," there are lots of videos on how to get a lot of product out of an apparently empty bottle.

Good luck, girls!

EDIT (11/7/2008)
I'm still using this every day, and I'm amazed to see that it's been five months since I started. I bought my second tube a week ago, as my first was getting really hard to squeeze the life out of. Just now I cut open my first tube following a tutorial on Youtube, wondering if it was really worth dulling a knife over. Uhh, ladies, it IS - I got double the product! I was shocked! It seemed the more I scooped, the more I got. I filled an entire contact lens case up to the brim with all the product. I had at least an application's worth just with the residue left on the tube after I scooped everything out! It seems I won't need to open that second tube for another five months.

A few application tips I've picked up: be careful of the amount you use. Too much really does give you a crepey, dry texture, gunking up a little weirdly. Too little and it won't spread enough. Use moderate amounts and stretch it as far as you can. That way, it really is like the perfect "sticky mat," keeping eyelids fresh all day. And it brightens up the whole area in a great way!

I have noticed, though, that the formula seems to be getting dryer. I guess five months in is pretty far. The formula is getting harder to "stretch" out, so it's easier to get that gunkiness I want to avoid. However, it's still working enough for me not to open that second tube. This is a must-have for me.

EDIT (7/28/2009)
I've since tried Too Faced Shadow Insurance and love it so much more!! Much less crepeyness-issue, easier to blend, and doesn't have that "too fresh" look yet keeps everything bright and in place. I would still buy UDPP in a pinch, but TFSI it is for me. continued >>

on 2/5/2008 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I need not repeat all the wonderful things said about this product. I can say I like it better than the four other primers I've tried. I hate the packaging. It's attractive, but not that functional. Because of the shape of the bottle, the wand cannot possibly reach up to 50% of the product in this container. Sometimes the slight pigment of this product interferes with my really pale eye shadows. In those instances, I choose Mary Kay's primer, which is not pigmented. Yep, I'll repurchase.

Look at this fabulous blog entry showing us how much product is wasted if you do not cut it open:

on 1/23/2013 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is a great example of a product that is well-loved by woman from teens through their thirties and goes completely south for women in a higher demographic (unless you have super oily eye lids).
I have purchased this product periodically throughout the years and after the third time I wear this primer - or any primer - I look in the mirror and think I've aged twenty years! It simply dries out my eye lid skin and makes eye shadow look...hideous. I always end up taking it off! It actually emphasizes the wrinkles because of the way the product "dries" on the lid. Yes, my eye shadow will stay on forever. But, NO, I don't want it to!!!
So ladies, skip the primer and use a neutral shadow as your "base." If you're onstage and want or need super dramatic eye make-up, sure, this will help. But for daily wear shadow, forget about it!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Saying this is a good product is like saying that kittens are cute or chocolate tastes good or life preservers can be helpful when you're drowning. This product is an unalloyed miracle. And this is coming from someone whose pores ooze shadow-melting grease like the Exxon Valdez filled with WD-40.

BUT I must add that the packaging reminds me of the Peculiar Purple Pie Man of Porcupine Peak. I like to pretend that my completist makeup compulsion is not related to my pathological childhood obsession with dolls in (and of) the '80s. This looks like it should be in the Barbie Dream House, not on my sink.

Just seeing it makes me want to go bid on Ebay for Bubbles, the seated yellow My Little Pony with a blue mane and tail that my spoiled friend got but I never did. Bubbles, you are my Rosebud.

EDIT: I wore this every day for months. It affected the skin on my eyelids eventually, no joke. I think it wasn't shedding normally, it had really bad texture and was making the 'squint' wrinkles look worse. Now it's special occasion makeup. Was also using MAC Paint in Bare Canvas.

on 9/27/2004 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have UBER-oily skin and my eyelids can ruin the reputation of even the best primers ;)

Thanks to this board I have discovered a couple of primers that seem to be worth their reputations! Prior to this weekend, my HG eyeshadow primer was BeneFit's FYEye. Loved it and still do :) :) :) But now I have a brand new HG.

Based on recs from here, I stopped by Sephora on the way home last Friday and picked up Urban Decay's Potion Primer. I put it to the test on Saturday wearing Stila's shadow pots... both lid and crease. Sunday I tested it by wearing colors from my Stage Door palette from Fresh. In addition to the shadows I used MAC kohl's and powerpoints for liners and both days my eyeshadow WORE LIKE IRON... 12-15 hours without fading or creasing or anything. At the end of the day, it looked like I had just done my eyeshadow... and that was after 12-15 hours including shopping one day at the outdoor marketplace and sweating in the 90 degree plus temperature of Southern California!

I'm a MAC NC40/42; BE 4.53; NARS St. Tropez. The primer goes on smooth and creamy with a wand applicator (I'd rather use my own e/s brush but eh, no biggie). It's a sort of ivory color which disappears and doesn't "turn" your e/s color.

I wish the bottle were clear so I could see how much is left - I know I'll be buying this again!

I gotta tell ya... I was definitely a skeptic about Urban Decay but the Primer Potion has more than exceeded my expectations :)

UPDATE 8/15/05: I still love this anad believe it to be a Holy Grail for me. I've discovered that if you take a pair of needle-nose pliers and remove the inner white ring, you can get TONS more product out of it. Just a helpful tip I wanted to pass along :) continued >>

on 5/30/2011 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

They have redesigned the package so it's now a squeeze tube, and there's no problem getting the product out. I use this on my eyebrows, not my eyelids. I have eyebrow hair, but it's not as thick as I'd like, nor as dark, so I need pencil or powder, but nothing would stay. I was looking for Makeup Forever's liquid brow gel, but the Sephora near me didn't have it. So rather than continuing to try every powder, pencil, stencil, and pen out there, I thought to try this. It's been great! It's only 2 days, but it's been 2 hot, humid days, and my brows stayed on! Plus, the bare spots at the start and end of my brows stayed on, and those were the ones that bugged me the most. It's not very pigmented, so it works on my brows. I would think it wouldn't affect shadow color either. It's not cheap, but it's not hideously expensive either considering that you don't need much. And I can keep using the brow powder that I like, and it looks so much better than it ever did.

Edit: it's now been 3 days, and over 90 degrees today. Not even a smudge! My brows look as good at the end of the day as at the beginning, and putting on the pencil/powder routine is even easier as the primer helps "grab" the products. And no fading or smearing or changing color on the top of my brows as the day goes on! Who needs eye shadow when your brows can look this good?

Edit: I had to stop using this because it was irritating the skin around my eyebrows. I know some other people have said it irritated their skin, but I was hoping I wouldn't be one of them. Darn it, I am.