Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

Filtered by age: 56 & Over
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

3.7

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I loved the old formula and old packaging (squeeze tube). The new packaging (with the applicator) is difficult to use and the formula is TERRIBLE. Absolutely useless, greasy and does not work the way the old formula did. What a waste. I'm not sure what happened with this product, but I will be returning to the store.

on 7/13/2016 6:04:00 PM

I have never written a review for any product before. But I have to say this is the absolute best eye shadow primer I have ever used, and being in my sixties, I've tried many. It's easy to apply and I am always amazed at how great my eye makeup looks when I am ready to remove it at night. The funny thing is my sister raved about it and I told her I had tried it before and would try it again. I happened to find my tube in my make up drawer. I assumed it would be dried up, but it not only wasn't dried up, it worked like a charm. It's fantastic.

on 3/13/2016 12:29:00 PM

Me = primer junkie. Always searching for the holy grail eye primer that will cover any imperfections on the lids and keep the shadow where it belongs for more than a few hours. I have this Potion in the purple container, the "Original", and it's pretty good for accomplishing the above requirements. It certainly provides a blank canvas on the lid and completely covers any red spots or scars from my eyelift. And the shadow does last longer when I use it.... So it's great stuff, with some reservations: You have to really let it DRY before you use shadow. I mean, really dry, like 5 minutes dry. Otherwise the shadow "tugs" and you're not going to be able to blend out the crease. (I use Lorac, Urban Decay, Tarte shadows) A little bitty dab on the lid is enough, it's easy to use too much. But it's a nice MATTE finish, no glitter or sheen and no strange color to complicate the shadow choices. One note about packaging, it's not great. The problem I have is that the cap doesn't really "click" and stay nice and tight on the tube. When you go to close it, if you put even a little pressure to twist it tight, it just "clicks" and loosens again and you have to keep twisting to find that one spot where it will stay closed relatively tightly. Even then, if I pull on the cap it will come off again. I don't ever carry this in my bag when I travel or go out for that very reason. But a good primer shouldn't need tweaking during the day so the flaw in packaging is not really a deal breaker. It's just annoying. I worry about it drying out if the cap does fall off. At this price point, you'd think a penny's worth of plastic would be used to make that cap perform better. Speaking of price, it's up there. This isn't a product that you grab several of so you always have it on hand. I have to plan to rebuy it and then I can just get one tube. So, is it better than the cheaper stuff? Maybe. I have some that I paid $3 for that performs equally well. But the Clinique and some others in the high price category didn't perform as well. So it's a personal thing closely linked to the thickness of your wallet. My shadow does last until evening when I use it, and that's the entire point of using it, so I do repurchase and I do like it. It's not the primer I reach for when I'm in a hurry, due to the dry-time issue. But if I want my shadow colors to be true all day and blend out well, I take the time and use the Potion. It's worth a try if you're on the fence.

on 10/11/2015 2:30:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I know I am not the only customer disappointed with the new packaging (application wand) and watery consistency. I had been using this product for several years and recommended it in a Sephora review, but now cannot add to or revoke my positive review on Sephora website. The new wand makes application more time consuming (still need finger for even distribution); is less hygienic, as wand is reinserted into product, and feels watery. Will be looking for a substitute: so disappointed.

on 9/30/2015 8:36:00 AM

Today I finally did a test on this primer after using it for an entire year.... just to make sure before I finally wrote this review. On one eyelid I used this UD primer Potion, on the other eyelid I used nothing but powder. (I actually call them "oilids" because it seems like my eyelids have more oil on them then anywhere else on my face) I put waterproof eyeliner on after a minute or two. Several hour later, I looked carefully into a magnifying mirror, only to find that the only eyeliner on my lids was the one on the side with the UD primer potion. It was exactly as I had applied it that morning, however the other eyelid was nearly without any eyeliner at all.... Most of it was under my eyes, giving me that dreaded "raccoon look". I swear by this stuff and just bought more. Well done, Urban Decay!!!!!!

on 4/23/2015 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HG eyelid primer. There are a lot out there but buy the best-it lasts a long time and it's totally worth it.

on 1/31/2015 8:04:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Not feeling the love. I think the packaging changed and the texture. There is no doe foot, it comes in a tube and what comes out is quite thick and dry. It spreads but it's kind of thick feeling. Works but not as well Miliani, though that can sting. Do warm up in your hand first.. This is like working with very cold butter. I'd prefer a thinner texture. . I have very hooded eyes so everything smears into one color. Above the crease things to blend easily. This helps with staying put but it can look too thick. Worked best when I used it over my Becca Tint (Romantic) which is stickier.

on 12/22/2013 8:32:00 AM

This is a wonderful product. Everyone agrees but one thing I always use it for also is this; I have oily eyelids and some days I don't wear shadow, just liner. I always, always put this on then cover with a little Honey Bisque, oily lids are dealt with!
Love the stuff....

on 6/27/2013 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

After trying multiple other eye shadow primers, I feel I've found the best one. It not only evens out the color of my lids before I put anything on them, but it makes even the least expensive eye shadows last all day long. It's worth every expensive cent!

on 1/23/2013 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is a great example of a product that is well-loved by woman from teens through their thirties and goes completely south for women in a higher demographic (unless you have super oily eye lids).
I have purchased this product periodically throughout the years and after the third time I wear this primer - or any primer - I look in the mirror and think I've aged twenty years! It simply dries out my eye lid skin and makes eye shadow look...hideous. I always end up taking it off! It actually emphasizes the wrinkles because of the way the product "dries" on the lid. Yes, my eye shadow will stay on forever. But, NO, I don't want it to!!!
So ladies, skip the primer and use a neutral shadow as your "base." If you're onstage and want or need super dramatic eye make-up, sure, this will help. But for daily wear shadow, forget about it!