LUSH Seanik

LUSH Seanik
Seanik

3.9

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Irish Moss Gel (Chondrus crispus), Perfume, Nori Seaweed (Algae), Fine Sea Salt, Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum), Mimosa Absolute (Acacia decurrens), Orange Blossom Absolute (Citrus aurantium amara), Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum grandiflorum), Cocamide DEA, *Limonene, Colour 42045 *Occurs naturally in essential oils

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I really wanted to like this shampoo because it smells so good and lathers really well; however, it gave me no volume nor shine. My hair still felt limp and greasy. I returned this for BIG.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Edit: As promised I'm checking back in to update after using up the entire bar. And it lasted me a total of...*drumroll* 73 washes!! (Yes, I actually counted) not bad at all. It lasted as long as a 300ml bottle of liquid shampoo would have. But of course costed more unless you're used to expensive salon shampoos, if so then this is a steal. It lasted me ard 2.5 months. Keep in mind though that I'm a nearly everyday washer and I always keep the bar away from running water and avoid getting it completely wet. Also, I'm pretty darn liberal with it. The three swipes just don't cut it... I run it over my head several times until there is a very good lather. So overall, pretty lasting if u take care of it.

HI, what can i say about this shampoo bar? A few years ago when i was living in London, i spent alot of money on lush ...As far as shampoos go, I've tried BIG, New, Godiva and Squeaky green ( My fave of the lot being New). Then i moved away and forgot about Lush...but recently, i passed by a Lush store and was reminded at how obsessed i was with it once upon a time. So i decided to try it again.
I have fine, shoulder-length hair of medium thickness and wanted some volume and shine. The lovely assistant suggested Seanik. For some reason, seanik has never appealed to me in the past due to its scent and the seaweed sticking out of the bar. I was about to go for Jason and the Argan Oil but then was kinda worried that it would be too heavy for me. So seanik it was!

To be honest, i'm not crazy about the scent. It reminds me of a mild detergent. But it is neither very strong (as Godiva) nor did it last very long. Lathers extremely well and rinses clean. But the after effects were worth the detergent-like scent. Once dried, my hair was light, voluminous and super shiny ( glossy really) Absolutely love it.
I must say that i am still a daily-shampoo-er because my hair still gets a little greasy by the next evening. But that happens no matter what shampoo i use. I don't mind because i enjoy shampooing. its therapeutic! And despite daily use for 2 weeks now, it never dried out my scalp or ends. ( i do use a little conditioner on my ends).

As for storage that most people complain about...it could be down to how you use it. I have the square tin from lush ( the round one is too tight a fit) and i never ever use the bar under a running shower that gets the whole bar wet! That is very wasteful and would make it mushy quickly and difficult to dry out, sticking to the tin. I would wet my hair and dry my hand, swipe one side of the bar over my hair a few times (sticking my head out of the shower) and then flip over the lid of the tin and rest the bar on the edge of the lid (wet side up) Then i carry on with my shampooing, get some water on my hair and lather! I leave the bar on the edge of the lid until it dries completely (usually in 2-3 hrs) and pop it back into the tin. Never have any issues with mushiness or it sticking to the base.

I gave it a 4 star rating because it is rather pricey in my country and i am really unhappy that they made some of the most popular bars exclusively available online and then charge premium delivery rates. Such a rip off !

I am currently counting how many uses i get out of this bar to see if i make the 60-80 washes range claimed by lush. Will update once i finish the whole bar!

on 4/7/2016 2:41:00 AM

This was the first LUSH solid shampoo I ever tried. I have fine/ dry/ easily tangled hair, and found the deep cleaning properties of this shampoo made my hair pretty unmanageable after washing. However, it did give me a squeaky clean feeling and seemed to control oil enough that I could go longer between washes. I have since switched to Ultimate Shine, and this makes my hair a little more manageable. Overall, would recommend, but perhaps as a secondary shampoo bar for when deep cleansing is needed.

on 12/19/2016 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

First of all about my hair: I have roots that get oily fast so I have to wash my hair every two days, I have dry ends, my hair lacks volume and I have a frizz problem (I live in Toronto).

This shampoo cleans my hair really well.
It doesn't add any volume whatsoever (an employee at LUSH said it would).
And this shampoo also didn't solve my oily roots problem, I would like to be able to not wash my hair more than 2-3 times a week, as it is bad for the hair.

on 4/4/2016 10:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Huge fan of Lush "BIG" but was in the mood to try something new!

My hair is oily at the roots, very thick and dry at the ends. The associate recommended Seanik as it gives volume and shine, and she said it would be a good balance for my 'combination' hair.

The smell is devine and it lathers like a dream.

The bar didn't last too long, maybe 10 to 12 shampoos, but I would buy it again. My hair felt soft, bouncy and clean.

Particularly good for travel if I didn't want to use nasty hotel shampoo. Bring the tin and by the time the trip is done, toss the small remainder of the bar. And it won't spill or leak in your bag :-)

While I didn't notice at the cash register at the time of purchase, the sales associate charged me for the shampoo tin and didn't mention it as she put it in the bag. I think it was five bucks or so, so be aware of that.

Took off a lippie as it stained my tub blue... Nothing a Mr. Clean magic eraser can't fix ;)

on 12/15/2016 11:25:00 AM

Nothing special about it I prefer the one with argan which is more gentle than this one.

on 2/12/2016 2:47:00 AM

I'm kind of torn about Seanik. I really love the scent, reminds me of the sea obviously, but also very sweet. However, it doesn't seem to agree with my hair.

I have oily roots, gets oily in about a day or two, and very very dry ends. This causes me a lot of problems, most shampoos tend to be too oily for my scalp or too dry for my ends. It brought out my natural "curls" (my hair is more wavy now, but used to be a bit curly) which I really missed and was happy about, so that was a good thing.

So, my two problems with Seanik was:

1. It did not reduce the oiliness in my scalp (I want to go more than 2 days without looking like I haven't washed my hair in a month). It did not make the oiliness worse, nor did it dry my ends out which I was happy about.

2. After a few uses, I noticed my hair getting very puffy right after drying, and dull. I don't know why though.

For storage, I do NOT recommend LUSH's shampoo tins. There's no holes to allow the bar to air dry from the bottom, so it will run out faster or you might experience some of the things other reviewers mentioned (ex: the bar turning into mush). I attached a photo of my bar, and what I use. I turn the bar over a few times to be sure it will dry completely. I also do not recommend leaving it in the bathroom, where water may come in contact with it. I just leave mine in my room, and it does not drip or make a mess. You can use the tins from LUSH to store it after your bar completely dries, but I don't find that necessary.

For now, I will not repurchase Seanik, which is upsetting because I love the colour and scent. However, I do recommend trying it out since it just may work for you.

on 11/29/2015 8:32:00 PM

Love everything about this except the packaging (there is none).

It's a calm, oceanic blue and makes your hair feel so shiny and clean. The scent is a little interesting, it's a fresh, floral scent but a little salty and fishy somehow (probably because there is sea salt added in it). Sometimes the seaweed bits get stuck in your hair, so make sure to rinse well.

It really leaves your hair super soft, and it LASTS FOR AGESSSS! SO WORTH THE MONEY!
Make sure to pick up a shampoo bar tin from Lush as well; it's the best storage method for it. You have to keep the bar dry otherwise it melts and goes all soggy.

I love this shampoo bar more than life itself (not really though). I keep trying other shampoos and none compare.

Pros:
It takes out grease without stripping my hair.
It leaves my hair shiny and full of bounce, volume and life.
It smells lovely but not overpowering.
It is such a happy colour.
It lathers really well.
It lasts forever and ever and ends up costing less than a bottle of shampoo by the time it's done.

Cons:
I can't get enough of it.
My DH keeps stealing it and moving it around the shower on me.
If you leave it in a place that gathers water it could melt, so just don't do that.

on 3/15/2016 4:26:00 PM

Here are some things about Lush that bother me the most:
1.) Be prepared to be treated poorly in their stores. . .unless you're an overt hipster.
2.) They dispense their products without packaging. When you buy it at the store, you receive it in a paper bag. That means that every person who steps into the stores before you is free to touch, open, and smell all the products you may end up buying. Not sanitary.
3.) The ingredients are unnatural. Sure, they include beeswax, honey, sugar, bananas, etc. But what else do they contain? Sodium lauryl sulfate, artificial colors, and irritating fragrances. There is little to no point in their glitter products. Seriously, glitter? You're just going to end up washing that off anyway.
As for their Seanik bar, I can honestly say that I have never hated a product so much in my life!I was fine, oily hair and a sensitive scalp that is prone to itchiness. I heard great things about Lush, so I purchased a shampoo bar, thinking that it would prove to be more economical than a bottle of shampoo. Boy, was I wrong!It smelled nice when I purchased it, but shower water and a lack of hygienic packaging quickly ruined that. It didn't come with a tin when I purchased it, so it ended up in a miniature ziploc bag most of the time. I tend to rotate my shampoos(this method seems to help with oiliness)and I tend to wash my hair every other day. I found myself reaching for this one the least, on account of how stripping it was. I'm not in the habit of drying off my bars of soap, so I didn't bother doing that with this. It grew green mold on it before I had gotten even a few washes out of it. Yes, GREEN MOLD!It smelled awful and I couldn't imagine putting it anywhere near my skin. The once pleasant scent of salt and seaweed turned to fish. (At least the scent was still reminiscent of the sea.) At $12 before taxes, I had to throw an entire month's worth(or more)of shampoo down the drain. I'm disappointed because this was my first experience branching out into more "natural" soaps. . .
Overall, I think that Lush tries to appeal to an adults in the same way that candy stores try to tempt little kids. Pretty packaging and vivid colors beat out healthy ingredients, product integrity, and overall customer service and quality. At the prices they charge, you could purchase better skin care and hair care products, even at the drugstore. And, if you're looking for animal-friendly buys, there are plenty of companies out there that offer fantastic options without breaking the bank. Avalon Organics, Jason Naturals, and EOS offer quality formulations, beautiful packaging, and skin-friendly ingredients. At the end of the day, why would you want to shop at Lush?