Murray & Lanman's Florida Water Cologne

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Adore the vintage looking packaging. I use this mostly for spiritual cleanses and baths. It has a robust citrusy and spicy scent and leaves me feeling invigorated. It is also cheap and can be found at my local CVS or Walgreens. It makes a nice and light body splash too if you like the scent.

on 1/25/2018 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I purchase a large bottle of this stuff. After a shower, I rub it on my entire body and it makes my skin so soft. I then follow that up with lotion to make my skin smooth. It has a nice soft scent also.

on 10/22/2014 5:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Florida Water has many uses, holistic and cosmetic. I love putting it on my body after shower or work out. It cools you down instantly and you feel wonderful.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

"Florida Water is a 19th century formula for a commercially-prepared toilet water that blends an array of floral essential oils in a water-alcohol base. The name refers to the fabled Fountain of Youth said to have been located in Florida. ...widely used in rituals of home protection and spiritual cleaning, to scent bowls of water set out for the spirits of the dead, as a basis for making an ink-dyed scrying water, and for other ritual and cosmetic purposes among people of African-diaspora descent in the United States and the Caribbean.

Murray and Lanman Florida Water Cologne (actually now manufactured and distributed by Lanman and Kemp) has an old-fashioned Victorian-era style label -- very floral and rococo in slightly out-of-register pinks, reds, blues, and gold. It depicts a hodge-podge of isolated figures on a white background -- the Fountain of Youth, a woman with a bird perched on her hand, a troubadour with a lute, two parrots, two wreaths of flowers, flowers in a basket, ornamental leaves, etc. The bottles still have an old-fashioned long-necked shape, are embossed at the shoulder with "Murray & Lanman Florida Water -- New York," and are wrapped and sealed with silver foil on which is imprinted a spiral black-and-white trade mark notice in Victorian display lettering with a spread eagle in a stamp plus a handwritten signature ("Lanman and Kemp")." ~LuckyMojo.com

So refreshing on hot day. Splash it on and let the cola scent refresh you and the dry. spicy dry-down comfort you. Surprising longevity for a cologne splash. Suitable for men, women, children and pets. I've been using this a long time in magical work as well.

on 4/17/2013 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This product really saves me during muggy hot summers here on Long Island~So refreshing~I decant into a small spray bottle so I can spray during the day. I find that spraying this on makes it last longer~I also add a small drop of Sandalwood oil to a bottle and give it a good shake~This makes the scent last a bit longer as well. You could also add a small drop of Patchouli~

on 7/3/2012 8:09:00 PM

This is great stuff for after your shower especially in hot/humid weather. It is a lovely citrussy cologne along the lines of 4711 but suddenly morphs into this really pretty spicey drydown with a hint of bay rum. great retro packaging and easy sprinkle cap - what is not ot like!

Ok......I'm going to be a rate wrecker here...and I feel bad because this is such an old company and I want them to all carry on. Here's a little history from wikipedia.....
Florida Water was regarded a unisex cologne, suitable for men and women alike. Victorian etiquette manuals warned young ladies against the "offensive" impression made by a strong perfume, but Florida Water and Eau de Cologne were recommended as appropriate for all, along with sachets for scenting the linen and fresh flowers in the corsage. Large quantities were also used by barbershops as cologne and aftershave. In the 1880s and 1890s Murray & Lanman Florida Water was advertised as "The Richest of all Perfumes" and "The most Popular Perfume in the World"

Sounds so great and the bottle is so Victorian (although its plastic) and its really inexpensive.......but........
It smells horrible! It really does smell like coca cola when you put in on, then fades quickly to this really strong clove/cinnamon/orange powdery scent.Trust me I wanted to like this....I saw it on another website explaining the oldest perfumes in world still in production. I just cant lead others to believe this is the greatest for everyone. I will suggest to try it for yourself...its like $5-$6 at CVS. If you hate like I do then its not a big loss...Who knows you may love it!

on 6/30/2011 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love this! It's got a lovely burst of cinnamon and other spices and mellows out to something powdery and sweet. I keep my bottle in the fridge and splash some on when I come in from the sweltering, humid summer we're having.

Florida water is a spicy multipurpose cologne that is traditionally a combination of essential oils in an alcohol base. It's great for using as a splash, or even pouring in a bowl to evaporate to make a room smell nice.

The Murray & Lanman version appears to be close if not the same as the 'traditional' recipe - it's supposed to contain essential oils of bergamot, lavender, lemon, cloves, cinnamon, and neroli; the clove and cinnamon really come through and linger.

Earlier reviews have mentioned splashing it on. I adore the smell, and use it liberally as well. It's not really a synthetic chemical soup, so allergies shouldn't be much of an issue unless you have difficulty with one of the essential oils that go into it.

It comes in a clear plastic bottle like a body spray. However - I've had two different friends recoil and comment on the strength after just opening the cap. It dries down to a much softer, very natural spicy scent, but when first applied - It's _strong_, and may be offensive to some when initially applied, much more so than a random splash that you’d grab off an end cap in the makeup aisle.

You also shouldn't pay more than $4 for a bottle of it - I've seen it sold on various websites for over $10, but it's a third of that price and usually readily available at drug stores. If you're having difficulty finding it, try looking at a grocery store that caters to the Hispanic community, such as Carnival. I've found it before in the first aid aisle of the grocery store next to the 'alternative' / 'ethnic' items such as chamomile soap; I've also seen in the same aisle as the bubble bath in Walmart.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am really sensitive to perfumes - anything that smells artificial or chemically gives me horrible headaches. Angel and Poison are what I call "a migraine in a bottle."

I LOVE Florida Water. It just smells clean and fresh. There is a slight spiciness to it, which I love. I wear it all year - it smells warm in the winter, and fresh in the summer.

It's so inexpensive, just try it. If you don't like it, you'll only be out about $3. I wear this much more than all my expensive Guerlain and YSL.

Popular Fragrances