Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Hardener in Clear

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Hardener in Clear
Hard as Nails Hardener in ClearSally Hansen - Hard As Nails - Hardener

3.6

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

To be honest, I didn't really believed in this kind of products as I've used a bunch and none of them seem to work. After I took the gel off, my nails were in horrible shape - ripped and very thin (I've always had thin nails, but this time it was much worse) so I went to Sephora searching something that will harden my nails, even a little bit. I bought this in November 2016 and I'm still using it in April 2017 and I have left about three quarters of it (I use this before I apply nail polish, about once or twice a week) and I did not realize that it works until I found myself having long, hard and healthy nails without them breaking and exfoliating. I love this product and given the fact that is relatively cheap, I recommend it to anyone who needs a nail treatment that really works. The only thing is that you need to be patient.

My second favorite nail polish. My first is their nail strengthener. It didn't chip for a while compared to colored polishes, however It did chip before the strengthener did, the strengthener takes longer to chip compared to this. It does take about three coats to be shiny, but it's nice and shiny. It dries somewhat fast, however the strengthener dried quicker than this. I like how it comes in actual plastic packaging, so you know it's not tampered with.

Really makes my nails feel stronger and harder!

on 10/13/2016 6:13:00 PM

This is terrible!
I had fully applied my nail polish and let it fully dry.
Applied this ontop (the packaging said no chip!) and within minutes, the polish turned to mush and essentially slid off my nails!

I removed everything and started over applying this as a base coat.
It wouldn't even apply evenly!
I let it dry and applied polish ontop and it bubbled.

This product is awful!

DO NOT USE!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This does not harden or strengthen my nails, it peels off within the same day, sometimes it forms air bubbles under it, doesn't help keep nail polish on. A very useless product.

on 1/31/2016 12:32:00 PM

This is what I call a Staple. Everyone should use this whether you need to strengthen nails or seal a manicure for extra longevity- Hard as Nails gets the job done!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

This is horrible & the only positive is I find polish removal easier with it,Thats only because whatever nail polish you place on tops it causes it to peel or pop right off.I will be investong in the Dior glo & just pay the $30.

I've only just started adding base coats and top coats to my nail routine, so my experience with base coats is small. Besides this, I've only tried out L.A. Colors Base Coat/Topcoat hybrid and the L.A. Colors Strengthener as cheap options. I honestly can't see a difference between this product and those.

I chose this to use as a basecoat because I figured something that keeps my nail strong would help keep my nails strong as well as act as a basecoat. I felt like my nails did feel a little more hardened, but since finishing the bottle, I've kept my nails bare of anything for a few weeks now and they seem just as hard as with the Hard As Nails on...unless I'm supposed to believe its effects last way beyond weartime. But I also felt like this was on par with the L.A. Colors products, not any better. I'm going to keep trying new basecoats to see if there's better ones out there. I would repurchase for the price, though.

One point to add, I'm confused as to how this product differs from the one with the same name that has a differently shaped bottle. Maybe I'll compare them in the future.

on 3/1/2014 1:10:00 AM

I like this much better than the Sally No Chip topcoat. Out of the many topcoats I've tried, this one seems to work out best. I have one bottle for light polishes and one for dark, since sometimes topcoats tend to grab color from your nail. I do wish the bottle was clear, once the polish gets down below the label, it's hard to see how much/little is left and the brush doesn't reach the bottom, leaving product wasted at the end. But it's the only topcoat that hasn't gotten gloopy on my over time, which is what keeps me coming back the most. I've had a few issues here and there with air bubbles, but I find that gently rolling the bottle between my hands an hour or so before painting my nails and being patient with slow and even application prevents them. I don't have any unreasonable chipping (no topcoat will protect your nails from chipping if you're doing extreme things with your hands, come on now) and they stay shiny the whole week. I sometimes use disposable gloves when doing things like washing dishes for extra protection anyway, but this topcoat was the best protection for my nails when I was on dishwashing duty at the restaurant I used to work at. I've had some issues with the edges of my nails becoming jagged from the polish being dragged to the edge of the nail, but just lightly file them and then paint the edges and it's taken care of. The biggest issue I have is that my nails seem to take a while to dry. I painted my nails with one coat of basecoat, two coats of polish and then one coat of this 6 hours before I went to sleep and only used my nails to type lightly on the computer, but the next day I woke up with sheet marks :/ Very possible it was just because of the amount of polish I had on my nails though. Once it dries, this stuff is HARD like it's supposed to be and my favorite part is that there are no cracks in the polish, which is very common with the Sally No Chip. Some usual fading around nail edges a few days in, but that's normal. Just a quick polish refresher and you're set :) Overall, this isn't a fast-drying product, but it's a solid and affordable one and I'll definitely be repurchasing.

Update: I've been wearing this over my polish for 8 days and have had zero chips and they're still shiny as the day I painted them. At this point in a manicure, I don't really try to be careful with my hands anymore, but this is holding strong. I lightly reshaped my nail edges and refreshed with another coat of this about 4 days ago and have zero issues. I randomly dug this out of the bottom of my nail polish bin last week after becoming fed up with both my Sally no-chip and OPI no-chip topcoats getting gloopy. Really glad I did! :)

I've been growing out my nails, which are thick and were in pretty good shape to begin with, but broke very occasionally. This stuff ruined my nails. Now they're peeling, which is not something they had ever done before, and it's disgusting.