L'Artisan Fragrances La Chasse aux Papillons

3.9

on 8/14/2017 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

La Chasse aux Papillons promises tuberose, orange blossom, jasmine, lime blossom and white flowers… However, all I get from this is a very one dimensional, linear, powdery rose. This feels vintage to me, but not in a good way – it comes off as very out dated. The nose behind this is Anne Flipo, who has created numerous scents for Lancome and Paco Rabanne (caveat had I seen the resume prior to purchasing I would have skipped this L’Artisan release)… This is one of only a handful of L’Artisan releases that I cannot get down with. Although sillage and longevity are very good, this in no warrants a $130 price, as there are numerous rose scents which dupe this.

It is very difficult to rate fragrances, because it’s such a personal and subjective thing. Given that, all I can really say is that if we share the same taste in perfumes based on my other reviews, you will likely find this to be a very “meh” middle of the road, non-descript overpriced Rose parfume.

I have just repurchased my 2nd bottle! I need to add this is NOT the Extreme, I have not smelled the Extreme, & read that some do not like it. I am happy with THIS version. if you can find a reputable seller, selling *Sealed Boxes*, Ebay is cheaper & I have had NO problems with *Sealed* perfumes. I strongly agree with the notes I have read in the previous comments, adding, that it DOES smell like the Original Marc Jacobs ( I said this in a video last week), & also Jo Malone Bluebell! ($65). Lovely, Light, Memorable, addicting~ Go for it!!!

on 7/8/2015 3:39:00 PM

First of all, a confession: I am not a fan of floral fragrances, preferring Oriental and chypre scents. However, it is summer and a heavy, sultry perfume seems out of place, so I got a sample of La Chasse aux Papillons mainly because of its name (Chasing Butterflies). It's a mix of white flowers - tuberose, orange blossom, jasmine and others - but while most tuberose scents tend to be cloying, La Chasse aux Papillons is light and airy, perfect for a warm day. I would buy a full-size bottle if it weren't so expensive. At $ 145 for a 3.4 oz bottle of eau de toilette, I'd have to feel that this perfume is one I couldn't live without - and while I like this, I don't love it.

on 4/8/2012 2:31:00 AM

This is a very very pretty fragrance but it's definitely not worth the price tag. To me, this smells exactly like the original Marc Jacob's perfume or the Estee Lauder private gardenia collection perfume.

on 10/8/2015 10:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm not sure about this one. I didn't like its opening--too strong with the lime/orange, I think, and almost medicinal on me--but I like the white floral aspect of it, especially tuberose, which comes through more after a while. It's white floral mixed with something very green, and it reminds me of flowers by the shoreline. Honestly, I'm not really sure what it smells like, but I like the unique almost puzzling aspect of it. Ultimately, it's not really for me, but it's interesting, and I'll definitely keep the sample in my collection.

on 3/27/2013 4:00:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

This fragrance, created by Anne Flipo in 1999, has got the most evocative and beautiful name of all fragrance: La Chasse aux Papillons, Chasing Butterflies. It's fun to guess how a butterfly should smell like, but to me, this fragrance that I've worn for five years smells exactly like a butterfly.
Truth is, it does smell like a blooming, sultry white flowers garden under the spring sun. Not much else, but white flowers alone can work wonders.
First comes the heady, almost boisterous prima donna, Tuberose, immediately followed by a cheerful Orange blossom and a less prominent Lime blossom for a citrus slight, slightest punch. Then Jasmine starts to grow and occupy the scene with a tender, hearty, not indolic at all presence. Linden blossom underlines the whole plot adding a cool and mysterious touch of greenness, but not too much.
To me, La Chasse is a close to perfect fragrance. It's the perfect rendition of a sunny day. I would have upped the Lime note because the fragrance can smell cloying at times, so it's worth wearing at low doses and maybe try some layering.

on 5/27/2011 12:41:00 AM

This has been my go to fragrance for years. Beautiful layered floral. Most dominant note on me is tuberose.

on 6/9/2011 9:03:00 AM

I'm surprised to read so many negative reviews here, because I would have expected this to be a crowd pleaser. Maybe some people find the scent of tuberose a little vulgar? If I'd sampled this anonymously I wouldn't have expected the hefty price-tag, I would have thought it smells cheap and cheerful, feminine and young without being trashy. I get mostly tuberose with a little jasmine and a touch of juicy-fruit bubble gum. The lasting power is good and I enjoy wearing it as a total break from some of my other perfumes which may be in better taste but are not as much fun (I'm talking to you, Apres l'Ondee).

on 7/18/2011 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Okay, I won't lie, when I sniffed a sample of this my first thought was, "Hmm, dryer-sheet." It was winter so my second thought was, "A dryer-sheet I can barely smell." But I'm glad I gave it a second shot in warmer weather because this is a spring/summer fragrance extraordinaire.

I am unfamiliar with Linden, except when it comes to tisanes, but I think it must add that zesty feel to the fragrance. Don't get me wrong, it's unabashedly girly and feminine but not in any powdered kind of way. La Chasse has a certain kind of spunk that I like. I'm starting to realize that Artisan perfumes project more than I once thought - I get compliments on this from people a few feet away from me - but my ultra smell-sensitive boss has made no objections on this and I wear it to work often. Granted, there's not much to offend in La Chasse.

Even though I think this might be the more complex, more accomplished fragrance, I still prefer Mimosa pour Moi. But La Chasse will definitely always have a place in my heart and space on vanity. :)

Notes: citrus, orange blossom, linden, tuberose and jasmine.

This fragrance opens with abright and rather sweet flower note - reminiscent of Vanille Galante - that gradually becomes darker and intense as the alcohol evaporates. The main accord is built on a delicate interplay of jasmine, tuberose, orange blossom and linden resulting in an intoxicating floral bouquet. Green notes counter-balance the luxuriant sweetness of the accord and add to its overall fresh and spring-like quality. On my skin the fragrance loses most of its citrusy tartness and flowery sweetness as it progresses; it remains dewy and sweet, but has lost most of its initial vibrance. Lasts six hours on my skin.

Popular Fragrances