NARS Barbuda (single, Fall 2004)

No Image

on 3/9/2010 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my go to shade for a night out. It's sexy and rock and roll in a very subtle way. Beautiful texture and great staying power. I got it in 2004 and it's still my very favorite shadow.

on 5/8/2008 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

The color is as described a plummy taupe, yet it defies description in it's complexity and beauty. Beautiful neutral that looks completely polished and subtle, yet not boring. Also it offers a great alternative to brown shadow without looking like you are trying too hard or looking like a clown. It has the subtlest shimmer that it is unnoticeable yet adds definition. Lovely, Lovely, Lovely.

on 5/1/2006 4:44:00 PM

I like the color, a plummy-taupe. But I'm still on the fence about whether I like this color on me (NC20), it might be too cool. Nice color, but the quality of the eyeshadow is seriously lacking. I haven't had much luck with other NARS shadows either. The texture felt chalky to me, and I found it more difficult to blend than other comparably priced brand shadows. The color also faded really quickly, and can apply streaky sometimes. A NARS SA told me that the powder shadows are best worn over the cream shadows which seemed like crap to me. Why do I need another product to make this one useable? I would not buy this again because the quality is sucky, I hardly use it so I probably won't ever be faced with having to buy it again.

I'm surprised NARS only came out with Barbuda last year, as this sort of purply taupe is a staple shade in most other lines (Bobbi Brown Heather, BeneFit Gypsy, Elizabeth Arden Sugarplum are just a few). But leave it to the master to give it his own special spin. Unlike the other heathers, which are matte, this has a fab subtle shimmer that makes it twice as pretty--as in wedding-day pretty--or for evening, you can layer on the color for a superb smoky eye. And it's a universally flattering color that suits EVERYONE, from brown eyes to blue. If you don't have this shade yet, BUY IT NOW. Every woman needs it in her makeup bag.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Another hit from NARS -- just the kind of purply mauve I wanted! I am a GGG/hazel eyes and this looks so natural on me and can be worn anytime for any occasion. 2 thumbs up!

on 6/12/2006 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this color. I have to be real careful with "purplish" shadows, as they can make my eyes look irritated, red, and tired. This a is great neutral purple/taupe/ brown color on my lids, with a touch of shimmer. It applies very sheer for daytime and can be built up (or wet) for a more dramatic look. I have very pale skin with hazel eyes and it really helps the green in them "pop." This is my first NARS shadow and I really like not only the color, but the consistency and sheerness, I don't like heavy makeup, but rather a natural but polished look. Great everyday natural color.

This is plummy gorgeousness. It's a great accent color or makes a nice alternative to a smoky eye when used all over! As with many NARS shadows it has a shimmer to it. It's beautiful paired with pinks (like Nepal) or browns (like Ashes to Ashes). I adore it!!!

on 2/13/2005 2:37:00 PM

Ooh la la! Love this - it's my HG and ONLY eyeshadow... I'm a newbie to the whole eyemakeup thing (and over 40... tsk tsk!) and saw in a magazine how this wonderful colour, with right brush, could give me that coveted smoky-eye, without looking a)like an over-age hooker, and b)a twenty-yr-old wannabe... IT WORKS!! It is 'present' enough to look like there's some serious thought gone into eye makeup, and subtle enough to be day/office-appropriate. I use the Urban Decay Wonderbrush and it 'draws' the perfect 'already smudged' line to both top and bottom lash line. Very polished. 'Nuff said!

Love, love, love this! Bought this a day after seeing the model on the Sephora catalog wearing it. To all of those girlies out there complaining about this not staying on - try my method - it will stay on!! Apply MAC Stilife (or untitled, or bare canvas) paint over your eyelid up to and on browbone. Then with a little rounded brush (I use MAC 217) pick up plenty of color, blow off extra and lightly wash over eyelids. Then subtly blend in the crease and darken a couple times! If you want dramatic a tiny black eye kohl smudged looks good on lash line! Would absolutely buy again, looks awesome with my ppp skin and blue eyes!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

This Taupe-Plum is amazing!
I purchased this item when it first was introduced and I adore it.
Beautiful shimmer * Fab Color
It can be used over the entire lid as beautiful smokey eye look or as conturing shade.
It has excellent staying power - I did read a few reviews caliming it didnt have staying power- which shocked me All Nars powder shadows are finely milled and have excellent pigmentation. A few of the opaque shades(night -fairy) may not show up on certain skin tones but this shade is deeper and richer and very versatile