Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
Dramatically Different Moisturizing GelDramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

3.8

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

A great moisturiser if your skin is normal to slightly dry or slightly oily. It contains some really nice ingredients, is lightweight and doesn't cause me any irritation. The men's version (M-Gel Lotion) is identical and a little cheaper for those of you who want to save a little money!

Ingredients: Water Purified, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Butylene Glycol, Bis-Peg-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Glycerin, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Lactobacillus Ferment, Polygonum Cuspidatum Root Extract, Saccharomyces Lysate Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Caffeine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sucrose, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Polysilicone-11, Pentylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Oleth-10, Laureth-23, Laureth-4, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Disodium Edta, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Yellow 5, Red 4, Yellow 6

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Check out my notepad to read a more detailed explanation of my skin type!

What it Claims:
"The oil-free moisture “drink” developed by Clinique’s dermatologists to maintain optimal moisture balance for skins comfortable in the cheeks but oily in the T-zone or oily all over. Oil-free formula softens, smooths, improves."

Claims - True or False?
1) Maintain optimal moisture balance: False. I'm assuming it is too light for my skin, as it leaves my forehead feeling tight (area of my face most prone to dehydration) and likely does not hydrate my cheeks completely.
2) Softens, smooths and improves: False. My skin doesn't look or feel improved, nor does the texture feel much different.

Packaging:
Comes in two types of packaging: A tube and a pump bottle. I'd prefer the tube over the pump bottle, as the tube will allow full access to the entire product, while the bottle may raise issues when attempting to get the last portions out. The tube packaging is far smaller and cheaper, and would be wonderful for travel. Both come in non-coloured plastic, which is definitely a disappointment for the antioxidants contained in the product, as this can lessen their efficacy. Very simple packaging, no frills.

Smell:
Fragrance-free. I was able to detect some sort of scent, but it was light and I was unable to determine what it smelled like.

Consistency:
While the product is labeled as a gel, I would not say that this product is a true gel consistency. I'd say that it is more of a fluid, or a jelly fluid. I found the consistency to be similar to that of La Roche Posay's Toleriane Fluid moisturizer. It is a light yellow, which would indicate it containing dyes. For very sensitive skins, this may pose an issue. When applied to the back of my hand, it left no residue and soaked in quickly, but on my face it left a sticky residue and left an all-over sheen. Again, very similar to La Roche Posay's Fluid, but I would say that Clinique's results were worse. Doesn't feel oily however, so for oilier skins, this might be a great consistency.

Ease of Use:
While I do not have the actual packaging (sample), I would say that this product would be very easy to use. One or two pumps are likely to be enough for the entire face and possibly the neck, the light and fluid texture allows for easy spreading over the entire face, and it doesn't soak in instantly which gives you a chance to properly massage it onto the different areas of your face.

Bang for your Buck:
The large bottle costs $24.00USD/$31.00CAD for 4.2oz, or 125ml. I can easily see this bottle lasting 4 months, possibly even longer, with once daily use, so I definitely think that the price is fair for the amount. The small tube costs $12.50USD/$15.00CAD for 1.7oz, or 50ml. I've read from a few reviews that this tube can easily last 2 months, so I would deem this a good price for a travel sized product or for long term sampling.
Because of the nature of this moisturizer, and the fact that it is quite simple and basic, I definitely think that the price is a little steep. There are likely other moisturizers out there for a better price that offer the same claims/results, but for truly sensitive skins, this is a great alternative at a decent price.

Final Consensus:
I was truly hoping that this product would work for my combination skin (deemed as being type two from the Clinique website), which has a tendency to look and feel oily when using products that are too light or too heavy. Sadly, this product falls under the "too light" category, and I find it to be very similar to La Roche Posay's Toleriane Fluid. Because it is far less expensive than the Toleriane, I am rating this product a 3. It left my skin shiny, greasy, and did not hydrate my dehydrated combination skin properly, even though the weather is much warmer now. I guess my skin is drier than I believed it to be. It did not cause any irritation, nor do I believe it broke me out or worsened my blackheads. Overall, simply average and not hydrating enough for my skin. Would be a better buy for those with truly oily skin.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

on 7/24/2009 11:20:00 AM

I hate it when people buy a product that's not even aimed for their skin type and rate it low because it doesnt do what they want it to do, it's a product not a magic potion to work for everyone. If you have dry skin, stop reading right now. This is for ones with oily or combination skin only, simply because it's very light and it's a gel.
Now, I gotta say I LOVE this gel, it's prefect for my combo/oily skin for summer. I might have to switch to something else in the winter but this is PERFECT for me right now. It says it's fragrance free but it smells so nice (not perfumy at all, just nice). And it does moisturize my skin without making it more shiny or oily. I am never loyal to one product for long time but this will be one of those I will go back and forth with just because it WORKS! and it's cheap for what you get compare to other department store brands. I'm totally in LOVE!!!!
I actually use the 3 step but not the ones they sell you in a package for your skin type. The one for my skin type would dry me out. You can't punish your skin for being oily or it will rebel!!! I made my own system by mixing and matching: I use the Clarifying MILD toner and the Mild liquid soap (not extra mild though that's too much for oily skin, and the one for oilies is too drying). I swear this keeps me moisturized without breakouts or overdrying my skin. I LOVE Clinique and I will keep buying.

on 12/30/2007 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

--Highly Recommended!!! This is for the "gel."
--I have been using this for a month now every day. I find it just right for my troublesome skin. I have *not* had any breakouts due to this product. The first ingredient is water, then dimethicone. I washed and rinsed my face, leaving some water on it, then applied the DDM-gel to help retain some moisture. It took a minute or two to absorb, then I applied my foundation.
***For those who need a lot of moisture, this wouldn't be the best choice. In fact, to me it's not so much a moisturizer as it just "primes the skin" for foundation.
***It does *not* make your skin look the least bit oily. I'm using it with TruBlend foundation right now for winter. In the past I had tried Neutrogena oil-free and it left my face looking very greasy.
>>>It's working great and a definite repurchase!
->>>update: working great after 4 months; no breakouts! :)

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This really is dramatically different as it is the first time I use a moisturiser that doesn't moisturise yet leaves a sticky film behind. If that's not dramatically different, I don't know what is! :p

Apparently, this is a moisturiser you use before your moisturiser. I am not even going to write what I think about that- I might hurt someone's feelings.

For the life of me, I do not understand why Clinique is always going on about the 3 step but when you come to actually try it you realise it is going to be much more than 3 steps. Make up remover, facial soap, clarifying lotion, DDML/G, moisturiser, eye cream. That's 6 steps.

After a few days of using I found I was spending ages in the bathroom getting ready for the day or to bed at night for no good reason. Using this gel and then a moisturiser or just a moisturiser was exactly the same. This has got to be the most useless moisturiser I have ever come across. Moreover, it is not really a gel but more like a really thin lotion. One lippie because it is oil free and so keep 'oilies' at bay nicely. When I was trialling the 3 step I broke out in places I never do. I like the packaging though, looks nice and sleek. Maybe it works for people with really oily skin that only need a tiny bit of moisture but not for my combination skin.

I find quite bizarre that Clinique sales assistants wear lab coats. I believe you shouldn't wear a lab coat unless your a scientist or a doctor. Or a science student like me. :) It just looks really bizarre as they are clearly neither in a lab or in a medical facility... :/ Also they call themselves 'clinical consultant' and have those words printed on their ID badges. That is just ridiculous. They are sales assistants who don't even understand much about skincare so why does Clinique want them to look like doctors/scientists?

Summary: obsolete, plain, smells funny, leaves tacky feeling, does not have a convincing purpose (meant to be used with another moisturiser), does not moisturise enough on its own, possibly the cause of my breakouts though the other two steps could be to blame for, did not irritate my skin and did not make my skin oily. Did nothing for my skin. Clinique sales assistants lack of knowledge is quite appalling and the fact that wear lab coats is... dare I say funny?

on 10/23/2012 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

clog city,really not good for acne-prone skin due to the fact some of the ingredients are high on the comedogenic which include:Laureth-4(5 on scale) , Laureth-23 (4 on scale), Oleth-10 (2 on scale) these numbers are for how much they can affect and/or cause acne. 5 being the highest. you have been warned

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I used this stuff about a year ago as part of Clinique's 3-step system for skin type IV (very oily, acne-prone). The soap and toner dried out my skin terribly, and this wasn't much relief. I stopped using the other two steps, and used this in conjunction with some facial cleansing wipes my friend recommended -- and I broke out worse than I ever had before. At the time, I blamed the face wipes (I bought them from a grocery store while living in Paris; the ingredients were in French, and I never noted whether or not they were supposed to be hypoallergenic and/or non-comedogenic).

But I bought a 1.7 fl. oz./50 ml tube of DDMG a couple of weeks ago while looking for a good moisturizer, and had the same reaction, this time even worse than before. I'm constantly dealing with minor breakouts, because that's just the way my skin is. But this is huge, red, painful, cystic welts all over my face, and that never ever happens. I've stopped using it, and they're very very slowly starting to shrink. I think I only applied the gel for two or three days, and it's taken two weeks after I stopped using it for me to see a slight change in the horrible acne that it caused.

So, even though I have friends with normal skin who love this stuff, I would not recommend this to anyone with sensitive or acne-prone skin. It will clog your pores like you never thought possible; you'll wake up wondering why you have so many new whiteheads, but you'd never suspect such an innocent-looking moisturizing gel. On the plus side, it didn't leave my skin feeling greasy. But it did leave it feeling like a gravel driveway.

(**I'm no chemist, but I think the dimethicone in this product may be the pore-clogging culprit. Dimethicone is often used in anti-aging products because it serves as a kind of barrier against dirt and toxins that could pollute your skin from the outside. That's all fine and good -- but at the same time, the layer that it forms traps in everything that's already on your skin, like oil and sebum. Even if you wash your face right before you put this on, if you have oily or acne-prone skin your face will still produce sebum underneath, which clogs pores and leads to bad-to-the-bone breakouts. So even though I'm not totally sure, I'm going to stay away from dimethicone; maybe you should try it too.**)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Ladies, pls,pls,pls, before u purchase this read my review. This product is not just horrible its dangerous. I applied this 3 nights ago before bed and woke up in a nightmare. Eyes swollen almost shut, face so red it looked and felt like a chemical burn, and my clear face was broke out in a severe rash with hundreds and hundreds of small bumps. Went got steroids from derm, who told me he sees alot of this same reactions all from clinique products. Still 3 days later and redness is subsiding but rash is god aweful on my face. Tested on my wrist and got same reaction. I googled this and come to find out this is happening alot and there are many people who ate trying to file complaints with, fda, and bbb on this. Allergy tested my butt. Pls be careful and i hope if only one person finds this helpful they appreciate the potential nightmare they escaped. All i wanna do is save u all the horror im living.

on 11/14/2007 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

(Update 09/15/08) FINALLY after years of wondering, I've given this glorious yellow serum/gel a try and my face loves it! ♥ It has single-handedly "cured" my latest bout of dermatitis, including the peeling and dermatitis around my eyes.

INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua Purificata) Purified, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Butylene Glycol, Bis-Peg-18 Methylether, Dimethyl Silane, Glycerin, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Saccharomyces Lysate Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Caffeine, Trehalose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Polysilicone-11, Silica, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Oleth-10, Laureth-23, Laureth-4, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/vp Copolymer, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Disodium-Edta, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Yellow 5, Red 4, Yellow 6. continued >>

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

My HG pre-makeup moisturizer. Even though I am on the drier side and the gel is meant for combo to oily skin types, I still prefer this one over the lotion because it's more lightweight. Feels very refreshing and makes my face a smooth, flake-free canvas for makeup. It's almost like a primer for your face primer.