Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
Dramatically Different Moisturizing GelDramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

3.8

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Believe me when I say it pains me to have to write this - this was my HG moisturizer for over 4 years! It was light, it felt like it was quenching my skins; thirst, I even liked its fragrance (reminded me a little of rosewater!) despite no fragrance added to the product. I was using this day and night and all was well until early this year...

Starting with my forehead and then spreading to cheeks I began to notice a rash and flakiness that I never seen before. At first it was mild and I wondered if a food or drink reaction but over the months it just got worse and worse. Changed my diet, changed my skincare routine, detergent, changed everything apart from Clinique DDMG until one day (2 weeks back) I decided to use a sample of an organic moisturizer a friend had given me and give DDMG a rest for a few days. Lo and behold not immediately but over the course of 10 days or so my skin very slowly calmed down, the bumps, the redness, the flakes until now it is almost 80% cleared and getting better everyday.
The only thing that has changed in all this period is not using DDMG. My guess is that the 'Dimethicone' ingredient (2nd on ingredients list!) which is a silicone had over the years started to build up in my skin until it had reached saturation point. Tbh I feel more annoyed with myself than the product for not realizing until now what was even in its ingredients list! Talk about a 'blind purchase' lol.

Summary: For oily skin folks don't expect oil control because it doesn't do that. It lightly moisturizes anything from normal to oily skin types, but not if overly dehydrated. If you do use this don't plan on using it for many years because depending upon your skins ability to tolerate silicones, eventually at some point this product may turn from friend to foe!

Selena x

My HG/All-time Top 10

1. Cleanser: ‘Aveda' Purifying Gel Cleanser
2. Pigmentation/anti-ageing treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ Facial Treatment Serum
3. Conditioner: ‘Aussie’ 3 Min Miracle Reconstructor
4. Hair loss treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ Hair Oil
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face scrub: ‘Sisley' Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Shampoo: ‘Suave’ Daily Clarifying Shampoo

on 5/4/2018 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I concur with another reviewer who said this will make you look older in a week! It actually felt as though it was leaching moisture from my skin and made me look worse than If I hadn’t moisturized at all! Big disappointment and I ordered this online from Sephora so it wasn’t cheap. Pretty packaging though but useless to my combo skin.

on 4/14/2018 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have very oily and sensitive skin, so I decided to purchase this moisturizer (the version that is meant for oily skin) in hopes that it will control my shine throughout the day with or without makeup. Unfortunately, this did no such thing for my skin. If anything it makes me feel even more oily than usual. Personally, I like when my moisturizer absorbs into my skin and this moisturizer feels like it just sits on my face. It feels like I have a layer of goop on my face. If you want something that does an ok job then this is the product for you. But for my oily skin girls definitely avoid this product.

on 4/10/2018 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a product that I have used on and off for many years. I am not sure if they have changed the formulation but it appears that it works better on my oily skin. I am not sure of dramatically different either. It is moisturizing but doesn’t do any magical work. As I am aging, I get to like this product better than before. I gave it a 4 because it is a Clinique product and like other Clinique products, it is totally safe and doesn’t cause any problems for my skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I received this as a gift from my friend who knew I was dipping my toes into actually taking care of my skin at an older age. She meant well.

She knew I have combination oily skin, and apparently the gel is for that type. I can't say it's a horrible product, it just isn't enough for me. It doesn't do enough to be at the price point it is.

I found myself needing to reapply it through the day. That's inconvenient and it has no other benefits.

I enjoyed the pump and the size, since I had to carry it with me. Probably a product for younger and less demanding skin. No irritation or breakouts, no obnoxious fragrance. Decent moisturizer, I have just found a better fit for me in the brand.

on 4/4/2018 7:46:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

Product is easy to use, moisturizes the skin without feeling oily. You do not have to wait long to apply primer or makeup — it sets quickly. It does not do anything for your skin tint, i.e. no redness reduction, but it moisturizes deeply. I use this for daytime, for nighttime I use the cream.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My everyday daytime moisturizer. It’s efficient, doesn’t break me out, and soaks in quickly. Cons- it smells kinda weird (but that fades quickly) and it’s pretty boring. But it gets the job done well enough that I usually repurchase when I run out.

on 2/28/2018 12:30:00 PM

I received this product as a Christmas gift from a friend who knew that I always have problem finding a suitable moisturizer for my combination skin. When Clinique launched their Dramatically Different Mositurizer in GEL, she knew that I was dying to try it so she bought it for me.

I was very excited to start using it but the first time I applied it to my face, the texture felt creamy and oil base. It doesn't felt like a gel moisturizer at all. My first thought was that a company that reputable wouldn't lie. It must be gel.

30 minutes after applying it, my whole face became so oily that I could practically wiped layers of oil off it. My skin totally rejected this moisturizer. Thinking that it might have clashed with some of my other skincare products, I tried it again the next day by just applying the moisturizer alone. The same thing happened.

I headed back to the Clinique counter to feedback to the SA, hoping to get some advice. Her response? I am the ONLY customer ever to give a negative feedback on this product and that nobody had complained that the GEL moisturizer is oily. She gave me the look that I am the one trying to find fault in their product and not that their product might not be suitable for everyone afterall.

I've stopped using it since and definitely will not repurchase. For those with oily to combination skin condition, purchase and try this at your own risk.

on 2/15/2018 5:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+, but I didn't care for the gel. It has silicone in it, which always makes me break out. The texture is nice and light. It doesn't contain fragrance, and per ounce it's very affordable. If your oily to combination, without any sensitivity to silicones, you will probably love this. I, however, prefer the DDML+, which doesn't have silicones and is more hydrating than the gel version.

on 2/27/2018 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

this product is simply good enough for my skin, due to haven't found better moisturizer yet. this moisturizer doesn't do much to my skin other than simply just to moisturize. it doesn't reduce the oil on my skin, tad bit increase the oil production but if I use the right foundation on top of it, my skin looks flawless. I would repurchase this if I still haven't found replacement for this product