CLINIQUE Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

CLINIQUE Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
Dramatically Different Moisturizing GelDramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

3.9

on 8/16/2018 11:43:00 PM

This is my day moisturiser for the past 3 months or so. It's a great BASIC moisturiser for practically anyone with normal-oily prone skin... There's a slightly heavy-duty one for drier skin which is the cream formula I believe. I switched to this after my skin was acting up during my Diferin treatment.

It's scentless and does what a job a moisturiser should do- to moisturise! Nothing more nothing less. I like the fact that it's really simple, and doesn't make my skin in an oil slick by the end of the day.

If you're looking for added benefits (eg; brightening/hydration), just layer on a serum before that... and it should work really well with this moisturiser. I would repurchase!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Believe me when I say it pains me to have to write this - this was my HG moisturizer for over 4 years! It was light, it felt like it was quenching my skins; thirst, I even liked its fragrance (reminded me a little of rosewater!) despite no fragrance added to the product. I was using this day and night and all was well until early this year...

Starting with my forehead and then spreading to cheeks I began to notice a rash and flakiness that I never seen before. At first it was mild and I wondered if a food or drink reaction but over the months it just got worse and worse. Changed my diet, changed my skincare routine, detergent, changed everything apart from Clinique DDMG until one day (2 weeks back) I decided to use a sample of an organic moisturizer a friend had given me and give DDMG a rest for a few days. Lo and behold not immediately but over the course of 10 days or so my skin very slowly calmed down, the bumps, the redness, the flakes until now it is almost 80% cleared and getting better everyday.
The only thing that has changed in all this period is not using DDMG. My guess is that the 'Dimethicone' ingredient (2nd on ingredients list!) which is a silicone had over the years started to build up in my skin until it had reached saturation point. Tbh I feel more annoyed with myself than the product for not realizing until now what was even in its ingredients list! Talk about a 'blind purchase' lol.

Summary: For oily skin folks don't expect oil control because it doesn't do that. It lightly moisturizes anything from normal to oily skin types, but not if overly dehydrated. If you do use this don't plan on using it for many years because depending upon your skins ability to tolerate silicones, eventually at some point this product may turn from friend to foe!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I received this as a gift from my friend who knew I was dipping my toes into actually taking care of my skin at an older age. She meant well.

She knew I have combination oily skin, and apparently the gel is for that type. I can't say it's a horrible product, it just isn't enough for me. It doesn't do enough to be at the price point it is.

I found myself needing to reapply it through the day. That's inconvenient and it has no other benefits.

I enjoyed the pump and the size, since I had to carry it with me. Probably a product for younger and less demanding skin. No irritation or breakouts, no obnoxious fragrance. Decent moisturizer, I have just found a better fit for me in the brand.

on 2/28/2018 12:30:00 PM

I received this product as a Christmas gift from a friend who knew that I always have problem finding a suitable moisturizer for my combination skin. When Clinique launched their Dramatically Different Mositurizer in GEL, she knew that I was dying to try it so she bought it for me.

I was very excited to start using it but the first time I applied it to my face, the texture felt creamy and oil base. It doesn't felt like a gel moisturizer at all. My first thought was that a company that reputable wouldn't lie. It must be gel.

30 minutes after applying it, my whole face became so oily that I could practically wiped layers of oil off it. My skin totally rejected this moisturizer. Thinking that it might have clashed with some of my other skincare products, I tried it again the next day by just applying the moisturizer alone. The same thing happened.

I headed back to the Clinique counter to feedback to the SA, hoping to get some advice. Her response? I am the ONLY customer ever to give a negative feedback on this product and that nobody had complained that the GEL moisturizer is oily. She gave me the look that I am the one trying to find fault in their product and not that their product might not be suitable for everyone afterall.

I've stopped using it since and definitely will not repurchase. For those with oily to combination skin condition, purchase and try this at your own risk.

on 12/28/2017 11:03:00 AM

I have combination oily skin. Tried this for a week and caused me break out. Will never buy again.

on 11/28/2017 4:28:00 PM

I really wanted to like this product but alas, it broke me out really bad. That is the only reason I will not be purchasing this moisturizer again...otherwise it is just perfect. Light and airy on the skin, smells nice, doesn't make my skin oily. In fact, my face felt really soft and smooth after applying it.

on 11/5/2017 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I adore this. I've been using it in small amounts as a primer and in copious amounts as a night cream for the better part of 5 years as I've seen my skin go from quite oily to chronically dry (hello 30s!). Never breaks me out, has no smell, no white sheen or pigment. I use the squeezy bottle because I found the pump gets clogged. My only complaint.

on 9/25/2017 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Edit: after a week of steady use, I believe the silicone in this is breaking me out. Something in it is (Laureth-4!!!!) - after wearing this over my BP gel during the day, by the evening I had whiteheads and inflammation. Very strange, since it was the only thing on my skin all day. No makeup at all. Bummer.
------------------------
I grabbed this at an Ulta in the trial size since I have sensitive skin and didn't know how my skin would take to this moisturizer. I have combo skin, dry in some areas, but can get shiny/oily within an hour or two from topical BP.

Must say - this is GREAT stuff! It's very light, absorbs well, no scent, not sticky, and has a little bit of a silicone feeling to it. I mostly prefer wearing this under my makeup (I apply it then let it soak in while I do my eye makeup and then do my foundation) or during the day - and save my heavier (Olay sensitive) moisturizer for at night. But this stuff is a winner in my book - I haven't had any issues with my skin so far. If I can use up the trial size without any problems, I will try to repurchase the larger size or another trial size.

on 7/3/2017 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

My acne prone skin did not like this. It gave my skin glow but along came 2-3 breakouts on second day. I wanted this to work :(

on 6/18/2017 10:19:00 AM

I am on my first week of using this . I bought it as I wanted a moisturiser to layer over my retionol treatment and this had a nice texture . I apply this over my eye area and so far no irritation . It has a good texture and I can even wear it on the day although I have combi skin . As a moisturiser for night , I don't think this is hydrating enough . I have to use six pumps and still I feel my face is dry . I don't think the retionol treatment is drying me out , but it's not moisturising Tio. Will try the dry skin next time .