Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
Dramatically Different Moisturizing GelDramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

3.8

on 8/16/2018 11:43:00 PM

This is my day moisturiser for the past 3 months or so. It's a great BASIC moisturiser for practically anyone with normal-oily prone skin... There's a slightly heavy-duty one for drier skin which is the cream formula I believe. I switched to this after my skin was acting up during my Diferin treatment.

It's scentless and does what a job a moisturiser should do- to moisturise! Nothing more nothing less. I like the fact that it's really simple, and doesn't make my skin in an oil slick by the end of the day.

If you're looking for added benefits (eg; brightening/hydration), just layer on a serum before that... and it should work really well with this moisturiser. I would repurchase!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Believe me when I say it pains me to have to write this - this was my HG moisturizer for over 4 years! It was light, it felt like it was quenching my skins; thirst, I even liked its fragrance (reminded me a little of rosewater!) despite no fragrance added to the product. I was using this day and night and all was well until early this year...

Starting with my forehead and then spreading to cheeks I began to notice a rash and flakiness that I never seen before. At first it was mild and I wondered if a food or drink reaction but over the months it just got worse and worse. Changed my diet, changed my skincare routine, detergent, changed everything apart from Clinique DDMG until one day (2 weeks back) I decided to use a sample of an organic moisturizer a friend had given me and give DDMG a rest for a few days. Lo and behold not immediately but over the course of 10 days or so my skin very slowly calmed down, the bumps, the redness, the flakes until now it is almost 80% cleared and getting better everyday.
The only thing that has changed in all this period is not using DDMG. My guess is that the 'Dimethicone' ingredient (2nd on ingredients list!) which is a silicone had over the years started to build up in my skin until it had reached saturation point. Tbh I feel more annoyed with myself than the product for not realizing until now what was even in its ingredients list! Talk about a 'blind purchase' lol.

Summary: For oily skin folks don't expect oil control because it doesn't do that. It lightly moisturizes anything from normal to oily skin types, but not if overly dehydrated. If you do use this don't plan on using it for many years because depending upon your skins ability to tolerate silicones, eventually at some point this product may turn from friend to foe!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

The CLINIQUE Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel is far and away much better than the original Yellow Moisturizing Lotion, which is still not quite state of the art, but at least the first few ingredients aren't just water, petroleum, and mineral oil. This Gel Version sinks into skin much better, which is probably why Clinique states that this gel version is more geared toward those with oily skin. My more detailed review video can be seen here:

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

For me, this product does not work at all. It was such a waste of money (and time). It caused me to break out heavily just after a day of application. I thought it would be gone if I kept using it, but the acne just went worse than ever. So I finally stopped using it after a month. But I guess it's just because of my skin condition. Most of the products I put on my face will either cause me to break out or trigger my eczema and psoriasis.

on 5/4/2018 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I concur with another reviewer who said this will make you look older in a week! It actually felt as though it was leaching moisture from my skin and made me look worse than If I hadn’t moisturized at all! Big disappointment and I ordered this online from Sephora so it wasn’t cheap. Pretty packaging though but useless to my combo skin.

on 4/14/2018 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have very oily and sensitive skin, so I decided to purchase this moisturizer (the version that is meant for oily skin) in hopes that it will control my shine throughout the day with or without makeup. Unfortunately, this did no such thing for my skin. If anything it makes me feel even more oily than usual. Personally, I like when my moisturizer absorbs into my skin and this moisturizer feels like it just sits on my face. It feels like I have a layer of goop on my face. If you want something that does an ok job then this is the product for you. But for my oily skin girls definitely avoid this product.

on 4/10/2018 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a product that I have used on and off for many years. I am not sure if they have changed the formulation but it appears that it works better on my oily skin. I am not sure of dramatically different either. It is moisturizing but doesn’t do any magical work. As I am aging, I get to like this product better than before. I gave it a 4 because it is a Clinique product and like other Clinique products, it is totally safe and doesn’t cause any problems for my skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I received this as a gift from my friend who knew I was dipping my toes into actually taking care of my skin at an older age. She meant well.

She knew I have combination oily skin, and apparently the gel is for that type. I can't say it's a horrible product, it just isn't enough for me. It doesn't do enough to be at the price point it is.

I found myself needing to reapply it through the day. That's inconvenient and it has no other benefits.

I enjoyed the pump and the size, since I had to carry it with me. Probably a product for younger and less demanding skin. No irritation or breakouts, no obnoxious fragrance. Decent moisturizer, I have just found a better fit for me in the brand.

on 4/4/2018 7:46:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

Product is easy to use, moisturizes the skin without feeling oily. You do not have to wait long to apply primer or makeup — it sets quickly. It does not do anything for your skin tint, i.e. no redness reduction, but it moisturizes deeply. I use this for daytime, for nighttime I use the cream.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My everyday daytime moisturizer. It’s efficient, doesn’t break me out, and soaks in quickly. Cons- it smells kinda weird (but that fades quickly) and it’s pretty boring. But it gets the job done well enough that I usually repurchase when I run out.