Homemade Olive Oil Hair Serum

Homemade Olive Oil Hair Serum

4.2

Olea Europaea Oil (Olive Fruit Oil)

I can't believe I haven't tried this before! I leave this over night in my hair (I also chunk a lot in my hair) and rinse it out in the morning followed by a little shampoo if I've gotten a lot of oil in my roots (but I try to avoid shampoo in the length of my hair) and then follow with protein mask and deep conditioner + conditioner. My hair is ah-mazing!!

Highly recommend this. And it is also a cheap (and also better) alternative to oil masks you can buy in store!

on 6/8/2016 6:19:00 AM

I use every morning, even if I want go to office make my hair smoothly.. Love it

To Read all 114 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This was good, but I liked coconut oil much better. I use it pre-shampoo because it's way to greasy afterwards.

on 11/5/2015 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

EVOO is a staple for culinary and beauty/body care uses, but for my baby-fine, middle aged, color treated hair? It just is way too greasy.

I can only use a wee bit on the ends.

I respond better to commercial preparations loaded with 'cones.
Or jojoba.

But 100% EVOO or 100% coconut oil just won;t work for me. Sigh.

on 11/5/2015 1:49:00 PM

I am trying to get my hair to recover from protein overload and I think doing olive oil treatments is a good way to go about it. I was using coconut oil pre-shampoo treatments for a while. It felt good at first, then it made my hair kinda crunchy at the ends. It was only recently that I found out that coconut oil actually acts as a protein so there's that...

Anyway, olive oil is so much better than any high end treatment you can buy at the salon. It's a perfect pre-shampoo treatment. I like to coat my hair with it, focusing on mid-lengths and ends, and let it sit for a few hours before I shampoo. After shampooing with my L'Oreal Ever Rich shampoo my otherwise uber tangly, fine hair is so tangle-free that I can run my fingers through it (!!!). I still use conditioner afterwards though. Definitely recommend it for dry, coarse hair.

Rumour says it can be used as an anti-frizz serum on dry hair but I haven't yet dared to try.

on 10/12/2015 5:00:00 PM

I know the trendy push right now is coconut oil for deep conditioning hair, but I prefer olive oil. I have long, light brown hair and my ends were bleached for just a couple of minutes several months ago for a subtle ombré. I like using the olive oil on my hair from my ponytail point to the ends for a deep moisture treatment. It gives a warm golden tint to my lightened ends and makes my hair shiny and softened. As I like I having long hair and only get cuts about twice a year, I think using the oil once every month or two has been (one of) the things that has helped me prevent breakage and dried out ends.

I prefer olive oil to coconut and/or avocado for my hair, as far as pantry treatments go, but your hair may differ. Give it a try, though! You will probably have to shampoo about three times to get it all out but it won't leave you greasy and weighed down, nor does it smell unpleasant. I use about two tablespoons each time I do it, wrap my hair into a bun, and then leave it for about 45 minutes before showering. If you want to boost this treatment, put on a shower cap and blast a little warm air from your blow dryer over your bun.

on 3/22/2015 7:41:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I've been slopping olive oil on my hair both both as a serum and as a pre-shampoo treatment ever since having my color stripped with bleach two days ago. It's been drinking it up like mad, and from the first use I could get a brush through my hair with far fewer snarls. I went back to the salon today for the second corrective color and the hairdresser was surprised by my hair's condition and asked me what I'd used.

I've used olive oil as a pre-shampoo in the past and found it a bit overkill on relatively healthy hair, so bear in mind that you might want to go with a lighter oil unless your hair really needs a coating, emollient oil (a good clue is if coconut oil makes it crunchy). That said, this stuff rocks the house more than anything else if your hair is stripped after a chemical service and/or seriously thirsty.

I have long, straight blonde hair that I highlight every few months. The last year or so it has gotten really dry and tangly. Very difficult to brush through and my ends looked fried even though I rarely blow dry or curl my hair. I've tried Sebastian Drench conditioner, Potion #9, It's a 10, and several other products to put the moisture back in my hair and nothing has worked. Until olive oil. This stuff is awesome. I have naturally oily hair so I put it on the bottom half only while it was dry concentrating on my ends. I left it on for a few hours then showered making sure to put the shampoo in my hair before wetting it. After showering, I could comb through my hair easily, which has not happened in a long time. However, once it dried, it was still very oily. I put my hair up and went about my day. That night, I coated just the ends in olive oil again and slept with it in all night. The next morning I showered again and this time used a clarifying shampoo first, then my regular shampoo the second time around (Wella Brilliance, which is fantastic for color treated hair by the way) and finally a bit of conditioner. This time combing through it was not as easy as the first time, but after it dried, it was not oily at all and looked amazing. It is super soft and I can't stop touching it! Have gotten several complements today. I was planning on having it trimmed soon because my ends looked so terrible, but now it doesn't even look like I need it! I would not recommend as a serum if you have hair similar to mine because it will just make it look oily and you may need to shampoo twice after using it, but it's definitely worth it. I will probably continue to use this once a week on the bottom half of my hair.

on 2/10/2015 8:12:00 PM

I've used this in my hair 4 times now and I love it!
I put 1 tbsp honey and 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, then I warm it up for about 20 seconds then apply it to my hair.
I leave it in for about 20-25 minutes then wash it out
I shampoo my hair 3 times to get everything out then a BIT of conditioner on the ends.
This makes my hair feel SO silky and smooth. I've even gotten compliments on how healthy my hair looks :)
only complaint is that my hair gets so static-y after I do this... but that's a small problem and worth the silky smooth feeling.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

My hair is fine, medium thickness, long and mostly straight. I use this as a leave in overnight treatment 3 or so times per week. It really helps keep my hair strong and repairs damage. My hair color stays vibrant longer.

Make sure when you go to wash this out you add shampoo BEFORE you get your hair wet. Just work it thru, then add a little water and lather up. Repeat, condition. I prefer this over coconut oil especially in the winter when coconut oil tends to harden below 75ish degrees. Try to wash with a sulfate free if you can so you dont strip out the moisture you just put in.

Popular Hair Treatments