Guerlain L'Heure Bleue

Guerlain L'Heure Bleue

Top Notes: Anise, Coriander, Neroli, Bergamot, Lemon.

Heart Notes: Carnation, Orchid, Jasmine, Cloves, Neroli, Heliotrope, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, Violet, Tuberose.

Base Notes: Iris, Sandalwood, Musk, Benzoin, Vanilla, Vetiver, Tonka Bean.

This review is for the contemporary Eau de Parfum.

I wanted to try some of the classic Guerlain fragrances a few years ago, including Mitsouko, Apres L'ondee, and L'Heure Bleue. L'Heure Bleue is the first one I tried, and I was/am very happy with it. I can see why this is considered a classic. It smells heavenly!! (I have fallen totally in love with it. : )

L'Heure Bleue is soft, fresh, clean, feminine, and yes, powdery, too. It has a fresh, fairly intense floral base. (It is considered an "Oriental" or "semi-Oriental.") Initially, it has a moderate++ sillage, and after two or three hours, it wears fairly close to the skin, at least on me. It smells like the kind of fragrance one wears to "dress up" for a special evening, so its name is very apropos. I like it enough to know that it will be a staple in my collection for all the years to come. It does not smell like any other fragrance I own.

Many young ladies these days do not like anything that smells powdery. They prefer fragrances that smell candy sweet. L'Heure is not that kind of fragrance. If you do NOT like a fairly strong powdery note to your fragrance, then this is not the scent for you. However, if you do like or do not mind a powdery, make-up-E scent, then I think you will like L'Heure Bleue.

L'Heure Bleue makes me think of ladies in long gloves, long evening gowns, with upswept hair and sparkling jewels. It is very elegant and feminine to be sure. It is alluring but not overtly "sexual," if that makes sense. If you want to at least try some of the classics, then this one is definitely one to try. You might even fall in love with it as I did. : )

Fragrance: 10/10
Projection: 9/10
Sillage: 9/10
Longevity: 7/10

on 5/22/2015 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Ach, I really wanted to love this after I read about it in one of my favourite book series. But alas, I so don't O.o
I read all the raving reviews, dusk before the stars appear, lovers in the moonlight, you name it - it sounded so wonderful and I liked the idea of this being truly old-fashioned, invented in 1912. So today I went to the one store having this, sprayed it on and....clove, all over the place screaming at you CLOOOVE! after some minutes something quite ok, a bit oriental, but it was gone in no time. What was left in the drydown was - cheap hairspray. I swear this smells exactly like the noname hairspray my gran used before she took me to church when I was a kid. And there is still hairspray out there smelling exactly like that. So, I don't want to smell like cheap hairspray. I also don't find this scent very complex as I also sprayed it on a linen shirt to be able to compare it being on skin and being on fabric, and it smells exactly the same hairspray way on the fabric after a few hours as it smelled in my skin. An extra lippie for the idea and for that fact it really is an old-fashioned scent, but it's totally not for me and even if it didn't remind me of hairspray my associations with this scent don't go in the romantic stars and moonlight direction at all. To me it just smells dusty, like an old chamber which wasn't opened for some decades.

To Read all 229 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/17/2015 5:58:00 PM

I hate giving a fragrance a bad rating. They're so personal that it's a matter of opinion more than something actually being wrong with the product; that said, I got this because someone said if I like Oscar I should like this, and I find them in no way similar. I don't like this scent at all. I also did not care for Shalimar; perhaps Guerlain fragrances just aren't for me!

This is dreamy, very definitely Paris at dusk. I try to think of something more original to compare it to, but there is nothing else. The first time I put it on I said "I feel like I'm living in the most beautiful dream". I have heard the vintage formula is better which I can believe as this one is very powdery & has room to be more complex, but I love it anyway. It's the perfect scent for softness... not necessarily romance, I think Shalimar is more invigorating and reminiscent of lovers, but it is for love of life, love of Paris, love of flowers, love of ballet... it's for loving love, not just love alone.

on 10/11/2014 2:35:00 PM

I appreciate this from a historical point of view but it doesn't seem very suitable either for work or romance. Perhaps for relaxation. It is certainly an interesting scent but just doesn't thrill me the way gourmands do.

on 10/1/2014 12:38:00 AM

Modern extrait, three stars. I arguably think modern Caron Farnesiana does it better.
Vintage, pre 1972 LHB eau de cologne, disc bottle, glass stopper, 4 stars.

Fragrance notes listed in variety of reviews on line consist of some combination of the following: neroli and/or orange blossom, heliotrope, iris, incense, carnation, vanilla, coumarin, anise. Some accords include sandalwood. This is considered a floral oriental.

A dab of the modern extrait is plush, spicy, strong, with an immediate sensation of citric heliotrope vanilla iris powder. It starts out sharp and spicy, then mellows into a somewhat recognizable gourmandish smokey guerlain dry down with almond. I don't get any strong tinge of anise, but I think that is because my nose is overwhelmed by powder and benzoin. The amber warmth is sweet; therefore, to my mind, this is not 'dark' in the sense of Caron oriental darkness in vintage Nuit de Noel extrait or Parfum Sacre extrait (now discontinued). I also don't get a sense of much wood. I have not tried the vintage extrait which supposedly has an animalic edge plus sandalwood meant to balance the incense anise vanilla iris powdery qualities. Nor have I tried the newest rendition of LHB extrait (under Theirry Wasser). I don't sense any animalic quality to the modern extrait, but now I'm wondering if I could layer this with a tiny dab of MKK or khiels original musc. If I had to chose a modern Guerlain extrait, I would prefer Mitsouko, Chamade and perhaps even Nahema before LHB.

LHB vintage EdC is more to my liking. EdC is very different and lacks the aggressive powder note. The EdC is a tiny bit medicinal in the opening, but quickly morphs into something soft and aldehydic. (IMO guerlain aldehydes are softer and easier to wear than Chanel aldehydes). I notice carnation, clove, orris and sandalwood very quickly, and I am pleased that I can sense the different notes. Anise gives it a little lift, but it's not intrusive. In the dry down, I get a sense of incense, but it's neither chokingly heavy, nor lightweight. The composition has roundness and depth and weight. The florals don't jump forward, and I don't get the sense of generic gourmandish amber, styrax, benzoin, coumarin sweetness that characterizes many modern fragrances. I find the vintage EdC, which has no doubt oxidized and mellowed, to be the easier to wear, and therefore more modern fragrance. If you think FM Eau d'hiver is unisex, I see no reason why this could not also be considered suitable for either gender, especially in the vintage EdC.

Note: I am an under applier and prefer to dab, not spray. Especially with vintage Guerlain and Caron, I believe dabbing minimizes powderiness. I also intensely dislike silage and prefer the more intimate skin scent quality of extrait.

Note: reviews below tend to relegate this to a grandmother type scent. But, I find that modern niche perfumers, such as Serge Lutens and Roja Dove, have scents in their current line up with similar characteristics and dry down, so it's important to try it for yourself.

on 6/6/2014 1:40:00 PM

For the longest time I wondered what I was wearing that smelled so different than what people were describing. For instance, to me this is a chypre, not unlike the foundation of Mitsouko, and when I finally read someone else make the comparison, I was relieved that my nose wasn't alone. Also, I was delighted when someone else mentioned the root beer drydown. Haven't noticed it as much with L'Heure Bleue, but Mitsouko has a horehound candy/sarsaparilla drydown that I found pronounced, and oddly habit forming. I also am a bit blown away by the overwhelming top notes, and my boyfriend backed away and wondered why I'd put so much on, but in half an hour, it fades to a very faintly spicy, faintly vanilla/powder chypre with floral notes. It's like hearing a neighbor's emo music on a windy day, you just catch tantalizing impressions of various tones. I'll note the anise, then a deep floral, and under it all, that sophisticated chypre. This one has really grown on me. It's also warming me to Mitsouko more, which was not love at first sniff.

A classic scent. I waited years to try this. I was afraid it was going to be like her younger Sister Mitsouko. Not at all. First spray is this strong powdery scent that dries down to a nice incense type perfume to me. It's a clean powdery scent. I don't get baby powder. Nothing meloncholy about this scent. It's beautiful. Transports me to a simpler time. So much better than all of the fruity florals that clog the market today

on 12/8/2013 4:50:00 PM

Comforting scent...I do not find it melancholy at all...the dry down on me is like baby powder...smooth, silky, soft, and intoxicating. I love the snugginess of it!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I adore L'Heure Bleue. I should preface by saying that I am a huge fan of Guerlain fragrances and Samsara is my signature scent. L'Heure Bleue is a fragrance that reminds of a bygone era. An era of elegance, class and aristocracy. When I first spray it the aniseed top note is overwhelming and I don't care for it at all. However, when the scent dries down on my skin (after about 30 minutes or so), it is the most wonderfully soft, powdery fragrance and I smell the iris, carnation and violet most. I find the classic scents so refreshing in today's modern world where sickly sweet fragrances seem to run amok. I have always enjoyed wearing a fragrance that does not make me smell like everyone else.

Popular Fragrances