SkinMedica RETINOL COMPLEX

SkinMedica RETINOL COMPLEX

4.5

on 7/9/2016 8:15:00 PM

Retinol is retinol, this is well packaged and whilst i found it effective, I have found much cheaper alternatives that is the same effective ingredient at a quarter of the price. So here I go with the results of my retinol adventures over the years.

The effective ingredient of this is "retinol", this requires 2 levels of conversion before it can perform its function. This form of retinol is easily and cheaply found is most retinol serums on amazon for quite cheap. If you prefer a dermatologist brand, I have found Green Cream brand to be the best in this type of retinol, its a cream with 3 levels you can buy. Skinmedica is a serum not a cream and if you use it as a cream you will, like me, burn your face. Whilst I like this form of retinol, nothing beats retinoid acid or Tretinoin (used directly by skin), mostly a prescription only product. I purchased this cheaply off eBay at 0.025% and this is equivalent to the 1% retinol and you need much less and application of lower frequency. I have also used the brand Steiva-A cream (prescription only tretinoin) at the same concentration but I prefer a gel since its the first thing applied then I can layer after. Bottom line is that Skinmedica is a fancy version of a very cheap effective ingredient. It's packaging is the best, heavy, opaque metal pump bottle which will preserve the ingredients.

After experimenting many years with retinol, I have found that using tretinoin in gel form is the most effective, since I used it 2x a week very sparingly, this is equivalent to using the retinol form every night. I think aggravating my skin less with more efficiently absorbed type is better. I've also experimented with Retinaldehyde, which is the form that requires 1 level of conversion, all Avene products use this form however I found that brand to be so perfumed I could not stand it, hence back to tretinoin gel I go. I did find Avene to be more effective than Skinmedica but again hugely overpriced. Another brand I have been amazed by is a taiwanese brand called Naruko, there is a 3% retinol cream (in 2 types: pore minimising and wonder youth), you can get off eBay for <$10USD for pore minimizing (30g) or <$18USD wonder youth (50g) which is a fabulous cream texture which absorbs so well.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Nothing special. Even after using it for two months I noticed almost nothing. A lot of parabens and preservatives lurking, so all together it is not worth it... ...oh - one more thing: it's pricey, given the results it provides.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I was looking for a replacement for Skinceuticals .5% retinol and tried this. It is a lightweight lotion that absorbs easily into the skin and does not cause my combo skin to breakout. Contains a blend of three types of vitamin A. This makes my skin feel great. Most retinol creams are very drying for me and I have to apply a moisturizer on top. However, I would have to say that the retinol strength of this product is not any different than the much more affordable OTC retinols ( Neutrogena and Avon) that I have tried. I would repurchase if it was a higher percentage retinol and did not have paraben preservatives in it.

on 3/24/2008 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I received a sample of the SkinMedica Retinol Complex with my last skinstore.com order. I would be more interested in this product if I didn't know how much more effective retinaldehyde (found in Avene products such as Retrinal, Eluage, and Ystheal) and prescription retinoids are than retinol. (Tetrakis's notepad explains this.) For those whose skin is so sensitive that they truly can't use retinaldehyde or prescription retinoids, this is a nice, though pricey, option. It is moisturizing (though those with dry skin may not find it hydrating enough), and it has a nice texture. It is not fragranced, but it does have a slightly unpleasant smell that fortunately dissipates quickly. Overall, this product isn't really for me, but it might be great for others.
Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Retinyl Acetate, Retinol, Rice Bran Extract (Tocotrienol), Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopheryl, Canadian Willowherb Extract, Green Tea Extract, Bisabolol, Phytantriol, Sodium Polyaspartate, Soybean Oil, Cyclomethicone, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Steareth-2, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Allyl Methacrylates Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA. continued >>

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This retinol cream works great for me! It took a few months to get over the slight peeling and redness I got at first. But after that, my skin has never looked better :) So really good product although it's very expensive. P.s. I used the 0.5% concentration.

on 9/27/2013 4:03:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

this is a very good retinol product to use .both in terms of quality of products used and the results.i am soon going to be 35,but people just dont beleive it.thanks to all the products especially this one.highly reccomend

on 1/6/2008 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This stuff is better than green cream. I received samples of this with my green cream purchase and immediately saw a difference in my skin texture and tone. this is great so far, well i just started using it 2 days ago. So, ill probably update, and its cheaper. Im definitely purchasing the big bottle!!
EDIT: ok, this was great in the beginning,but when my face started getting use to it, it really stops working. Ive switched to skinceutials retinol!

on 10/30/2007 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am in my 40's and always looking for an effective retinol product. I heard this was as good as prescription strength retinol products, so decided to give it a try. I really like this product. I have been using it for a few months now and my skin looks fresh and more even in tone. I also like Neutrogena's Advanced Solutions though and am not sure I am getting that much more "bang for the buck" with this product. The cost difference between the two is significant so I am not sure I will repurchase this!
Edit 2/12/08: I have continued with Neutrogena's retinol products and have been VERY happy with the results. The SkinMedica did not produce any significant difference, but cost much, much more.

on 10/12/2006 2:58:00 PM

UPDATE: I take it back. I ran out of this. Between orders I started using my left over tube of Avene again and WOW...it really does do a much better job than this, just didn't realize it until I took a break from it. This is still a good product and definitely not as harsh as Avene, but my skin just looks 10x's better using Diacineal and Eluage and Avene is so much cheaper. Will not be using this anymore.

This is the 3rd retinol product I've used, and it will be the only one I use from now on. Tried green cream (6 & 9) and Avene. This one beats them both hands down. I don't know if it's because of the 3 different type of retinol or the inclusion of Vit E or what, but this one does what I was hoping the others would do...make my skin more even toned, regulate oil, reduce fine lines, and make pores appear smaller. I use this with a 20% glycolic cream (1st the cream, let it soak in for a few, then this) and my skin has never looked smoother. I was using it every other night, but the morning after my 'off' days, my skin just looked dull and lifeless, so now I use it nightly. Great stuff!

on 5/16/2017 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

My new hg! I rann out of this some time ago and decided not to reorder because I mistakenly thought that I could manage without it. I tried other products that were less expensive but found them to be "not as effective" as this retinol complex. I am 49 and have had oily skin ALL life. A fact that I used to bemoan, but have since come to appreciate. As we age menopause becomes a huge factor in the day to day. Due to hormonal changes my skin has become dry on some areas of my face. Surprisingly so!

The new products that I was trying simply didn;t cut it. So, I decided to bite the bullet and come back to my trusty Skin Medica Retinol Complex 1.0. And I am so glad I did! The dry patches are nearly gone after only 2 uses. I will never be without this again. Not too strong. Just strong enough to get the job done. Lesson learned. Yes! Its a bit pricey. But the benefits are far and away, worth it!