SkinMedica RETINOL COMPLEX

SkinMedica RETINOL COMPLEX

4.4

Water, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Retinyl Acetate, Retinol, Rice Bran Extract (Tocotrienol), Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopheryl, Canadian Willowherb Extract, Green Tea Extract, Bisabolol, Phytantriol, Sodium Polyaspartate, Soybean Oil, Cyclomethicone, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Steareth-2, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Allyl Methacrylates Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA

on 7/9/2016 8:15:00 PM

Retinol is retinol, this is well packaged and whilst i found it effective, I have found much cheaper alternatives that is the same effective ingredient at a quarter of the price. So here I go with the results of my retinol adventures over the years.

The effective ingredient of this is "retinol", this requires 2 levels of conversion before it can perform its function. This form of retinol is easily and cheaply found is most retinol serums on amazon for quite cheap. If you prefer a dermatologist brand, I have found Green Cream brand to be the best in this type of retinol, its a cream with 3 levels you can buy. Skinmedica is a serum not a cream and if you use it as a cream you will, like me, burn your face. Whilst I like this form of retinol, nothing beats retinoid acid or Tretinoin (used directly by skin), mostly a prescription only product. I purchased this cheaply off eBay at 0.025% and this is equivalent to the 1% retinol and you need much less and application of lower frequency. I have also used the brand Steiva-A cream (prescription only tretinoin) at the same concentration but I prefer a gel since its the first thing applied then I can layer after. Bottom line is that Skinmedica is a fancy version of a very cheap effective ingredient. It's packaging is the best, heavy, opaque metal pump bottle which will preserve the ingredients.

After experimenting many years with retinol, I have found that using tretinoin in gel form is the most effective, since I used it 2x a week very sparingly, this is equivalent to using the retinol form every night. I think aggravating my skin less with more efficiently absorbed type is better. I've also experimented with Retinaldehyde, which is the form that requires 1 level of conversion, all Avene products use this form however I found that brand to be so perfumed I could not stand it, hence back to tretinoin gel I go. I did find Avene to be more effective than Skinmedica but again hugely overpriced. Another brand I have been amazed by is a taiwanese brand called Naruko, there is a 3% retinol cream (in 2 types: pore minimising and wonder youth), you can get off eBay for <$10USD for pore minimizing (30g) or <$18USD wonder youth (50g) which is a fabulous cream texture which absorbs so well.

I love this retinol product. I have the 1% because my skin is used to chemical exfoliants.

Pros:
- gentle yet effective
- hygienic dispensing
- overnight results
- non-irritating compared to other retinoids

Cons:
- a bit pricey

Verdict:
- I love this product. It's minimized my fine lines, is gentle enough to use around crow's feet area. Highly recommend. I'm in my mid-thirties and this product visibly erases age off my face when used 2/3x week in conjunction with a high PPD SPF.

To Read all 27 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/18/2016 11:25:00 AM

My dermatologist recommended this product and I have been very happy with it! I've progressed to the .5% version, but still keep the .25% around for times when my skin is extra sensitive. Highly recommend!

on 12/6/2015 4:04:00 PM

I use this instead of retin A less harsh beautiful results I have some for sale on ebay for 39.99

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This retinol cream works great for me! It took a few months to get over the slight peeling and redness I got at first. But after that, my skin has never looked better :) So really good product although it's very expensive. P.s. I used the 0.5% concentration.

on 5/23/2014 9:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am amazed at the fast (1 week) positive improvement in my skin! My g/f purchased her's at her dermatologist's office, $$$. I purchased mine through Amazon-half the price. At 55 I'm starting to need help with texture, and fine lines, this product is delivering great results quickly. Lancome. Clinique, Estee Lauder etc. all have serums 3X the price that do nothing! This product really works!

on 9/27/2013 4:03:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

this is a very good retinol product to use .both in terms of quality of products used and the results.i am soon going to be 35,but people just dont beleive it.thanks to all the products especially this one.highly reccomend

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Nothing special. Even after using it for two months I noticed almost nothing. A lot of parabens and preservatives lurking, so all together it is not worth it... ...oh - one more thing: it's pricey, given the results it provides.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

this is the best night time moisturizer, period. i live in a humid climate and this retinol keeps my skin clear, glowy and perfectly moisturized. i don't even use other moisturizer on top, just this. PERFECTO. i don't know how i'd live without this baby.

product: it's a yellow paste. fragrance free. highly recommend for all skin type except very dry.

on 3/30/2011 6:37:00 PM

HG product! I use this every other night and it has transformed my skin!! I use after I wash my face in the evenings followed by La Mer -- When I wake up my skin is silky smooth & flawless. Its a bit expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion!! I have repurchased 3 times --- it lasts me about 9 months +/-