SkinMedica RETINOL COMPLEX

Filtered by age: 30-35
SkinMedica RETINOL COMPLEX

3.9

on 7/9/2016 8:15:00 PM

Retinol is retinol, this is well packaged and whilst i found it effective, I have found much cheaper alternatives that is the same effective ingredient at a quarter of the price. So here I go with the results of my retinol adventures over the years.

The effective ingredient of this is "retinol", this requires 2 levels of conversion before it can perform its function. This form of retinol is easily and cheaply found is most retinol serums on amazon for quite cheap. If you prefer a dermatologist brand, I have found Green Cream brand to be the best in this type of retinol, its a cream with 3 levels you can buy. Skinmedica is a serum not a cream and if you use it as a cream you will, like me, burn your face. Whilst I like this form of retinol, nothing beats retinoid acid or Tretinoin (used directly by skin), mostly a prescription only product. I purchased this cheaply off eBay at 0.025% and this is equivalent to the 1% retinol and you need much less and application of lower frequency. I have also used the brand Steiva-A cream (prescription only tretinoin) at the same concentration but I prefer a gel since its the first thing applied then I can layer after. Bottom line is that Skinmedica is a fancy version of a very cheap effective ingredient. It's packaging is the best, heavy, opaque metal pump bottle which will preserve the ingredients.

After experimenting many years with retinol, I have found that using tretinoin in gel form is the most effective, since I used it 2x a week very sparingly, this is equivalent to using the retinol form every night. I think aggravating my skin less with more efficiently absorbed type is better. I've also experimented with Retinaldehyde, which is the form that requires 1 level of conversion, all Avene products use this form however I found that brand to be so perfumed I could not stand it, hence back to tretinoin gel I go. I did find Avene to be more effective than Skinmedica but again hugely overpriced. Another brand I have been amazed by is a taiwanese brand called Naruko, there is a 3% retinol cream (in 2 types: pore minimising and wonder youth), you can get off eBay for <$10USD for pore minimizing (30g) or <$18USD wonder youth (50g) which is a fabulous cream texture which absorbs so well.

on 9/27/2013 4:03:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

this is a very good retinol product to use .both in terms of quality of products used and the results.i am soon going to be 35,but people just dont beleive it.thanks to all the products especially this one.highly reccomend

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Nothing special. Even after using it for two months I noticed almost nothing. A lot of parabens and preservatives lurking, so all together it is not worth it... ...oh - one more thing: it's pricey, given the results it provides.

This is a great Retinol. There is no fragrance and it goes on smooth and creamy. It doesn't irritate or sting but is highly effective. I've tried other Retinol products and always always always go back to Skin Medica. I love this product!

on 2/17/2010 7:58:00 PM

I had great results with this upon first application! Yes, finally an effective and gentle retinol treatment. I was recommended to use this at night, following cleansing as the first product on my skin if i would be using moisturizer, blemish spot treatment etc. Immediately reduced size of my pores, complexion more even, decreased break-outs. I constantly get compliments on my skin - I have a hunch the SkinMedica Retinol Treatment might have something to do with that!
Been using this for 4 yrs.

on 3/24/2008 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I received a sample of the SkinMedica Retinol Complex with my last skinstore.com order. I would be more interested in this product if I didn't know how much more effective retinaldehyde (found in Avene products such as Retrinal, Eluage, and Ystheal) and prescription retinoids are than retinol. (Tetrakis's notepad explains this.) For those whose skin is so sensitive that they truly can't use retinaldehyde or prescription retinoids, this is a nice, though pricey, option. It is moisturizing (though those with dry skin may not find it hydrating enough), and it has a nice texture. It is not fragranced, but it does have a slightly unpleasant smell that fortunately dissipates quickly. Overall, this product isn't really for me, but it might be great for others.
Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Retinyl Acetate, Retinol, Rice Bran Extract (Tocotrienol), Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopheryl, Canadian Willowherb Extract, Green Tea Extract, Bisabolol, Phytantriol, Sodium Polyaspartate, Soybean Oil, Cyclomethicone, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Steareth-2, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Allyl Methacrylates Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA. continued >>

on 3/3/2006 4:45:00 AM

This is the first and only retinol product I've used and I have no plans on seeking out others. This product is truly amazing! For the past 1/2 year I've had some pretty damaging acne breakouts that have left brigh red marks. The acne is long gone, but the marks remained up until I started using this.Like another reviewer mentioned, it only takes a pea-sized amount to cover my face, and it sinks in quickly. I do use the Ultra Sheer Moisturizer along with this because it leaves me with some minor dry patches, but other than that.... this stuff has been nothing short of amazing for me! continued >>

on 7/13/2004 12:50:00 AM

OK I HAD to write about this product. Only used it 48 hours thus far and my poors look the smallest/tightest I have seen them in years. I use the skin mediac ultra sheer moisture over it. Ive tried tons of retinol products. This is by far the best.
I used it morning and night. If my skin starts to feel to dry Ill just use it at night. LOVING THIS!