Garnier Pure Shine Control Moisturizer

Garnier Pure Shine Control Moisturizer

3.7

on 11/20/2014 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been buying this moisturiser for a few years now. It is gentle but hydrates well while reducing shine dramatically. It feels a bit odd when it first dries, a little tight, but that does away in less than ten more minutes. It keeps my skin matte for hours, and even as I start to get a little oily later in the day, it is not bad at all and easily fixed with a quick blot.

I actually like this product. It goes on extremely matte and light which is amazing for my very oily skin. I usually just apply it in the tzone and the matte look lasts for a couple hours until I have to blot. The only con is the horrible smell of the product.. not appealing. Overall, I would buy it again... just get rid of the stench.

on 9/26/2010 12:23:00 PM

I just can't believe there is only a 55% buy-back rate on this product. I've purchased it three times I love it so much. Even my mom who hates moisturizer (like me) uses it and loves it.

My guess as to why? You have to have a certain skin-type for this type of product. Those who have this type may understand why it's a really good product.

Let me start by saying: I wanted to give this a fair trial run before submitting a review in haste. I've been using it for about 3 months now, I think that's enough time to get to know a product?
Low-down on My Skin: hyper-sensitive/reactive, very fair, acne-prone, oily in spring/summer, combo in fall/winter.

I think the reason I love this so much is because I am typically a "non-moisturizer" girl (we are rare, but we DO exist). I never understood why some people felt moisturizing was an essential part of their routine. My face never felt tight after washing- just clean. Being one with oily skin and all, I've always tended to avoid them because they all just made my skin feel "dirty" or "sticky" after cleansing and would never sink in. After which I would long for that matte feeling I get from just cleansing.

Then...

I decided to jump on the moisturizer bandwagon for the umpteenth-time with this because I stumbled upon this product and it sounded like something made for someone like me; moisturizer-haters, face-freaker-outers, you know- the minority.
The first time I tried it, I fell in love . It sunk right into my skin without leaving a trace. It mattified my eternally oily skin immediately. Literally, there was no shine on my face.

In the mornings I mix in equal parts moisturizer (Revlon ColorStay in Oily/Combo) to make a tinted moisturizer, set with powder (MUFE Super Matte Loose Powder, or whatever I have on hand) and my skin stays flawless all day.

My skincare regimen includes more products including others from Garnier. You can view it by checking out my notepad. continued >>

on 5/18/2009 7:35:00 PM

I got this as part of a set with the Deep Pore Wash and Pore Purifying Astringent, so it was super cheap. Unfortunately that's one of the only good things about it - this moisturiser is OK on its own (it does give temporary oil control, doesn't make my skin feel too tight as some oil control moisturisers can and it does have a gorgeous cucumber scent), but it is absolutely terrible under makeup - my makeup goes on cakey on top of it (it's like glue - just holds onto patches of foundation), and weirdly rubs off in parts; it looks like I have a weird skin disease. I've tried it a few times and this happens every time so I've given up now.
I love the Pure A Daily Treatment moisturiser, which is now my HG - I'm addicted to it and definitely won't be buying this one again; I doubt I'll bother to finish the tube, unless I use it on those days when I'm at home alone and not wearing makeup. Even then, I'd prefer to use Pure A.

EDIT: OK, so I tried it again when I wasn't wearing make-up and I have to admit it's quite good! Nice smell and texture and keeps skin oil-free all day. So excellent as an shine control moisturiser, just terrible as a make-up base.

on 9/13/2008 11:28:00 PM

Used with the system, I found this product to be great. It really did mattify my skin (at least for the first 8 hours) and didn't clog my pores. Unfortunately, it doesn't have SPF, but it's a great moisturizer otherwise. It did leave me greasy by the end of the day, though.

**note** this review is for the whole garnier pure range, not just the moisuriser!

i decided long ago to give up on all products that were targeted towards oily or blemish prone skin because none of them worked for me at all, and i have tried just about every range out there. i just stuck to cleansing with fragrance free dove soap and using a very mild nivea lotion. my skin isnt perfect but at least im not wasting my money on gimmicky products like i used to. (i know different things work for different people, but for me, most "drugstore" skin care lines have been pretty useless).... for some reason last week i was tempted by the display of the garnier pure range and snapped up the toner, wash and moisturiser - all for under 10 or about $18, which i thought was pretty good value... and after a weeks use, what can i say... my skins general condition hasnt generally changed at all, for better or worse, but i found these products pretty ineffective and unpleasant to use... the wash has a somewhat slimy texture and leaves my skin no cleaner than dove soap... the toner left a sticky, tacky feeling on my skin... and the moisturiser has the texture of wallpaper paste, and after about three hours, left my skin very shiny and generally not that good looking whatsoever... my general point being that while these products didnt break me out or cause any damage to my skin, im much happier sticking to mild basics that dont necessarily claim to reduce shine or blemishes, but do so anyway to a degree, just by being so gentle on the skin. i wont be using or buying this range again....

on 6/17/2008 4:39:00 AM

This product did for me what it claimed: controlled shine but kept in the moisture that skin needs. I usually can't leave the house without powder foundation, but this stuff mattifies my skin and keeps it matte for a good while. The scent is okay, it smells really fresh. I hate that it is so thick, though. It is like a paste instead of a usual lotion, so beware of that. But, if you're like me and have had a hard time finding a good oil-control moisturizer, this will probably work for you.

on 10/3/2007 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This product is pretty good. At first I was scared when I saw the blue cream come out of the tube but it came on clear. And the packaging is great. It feels pretty thick going on but it does get absorbed and it might make your face feel a bit tight. I bought it cause I love the ingredients .. zinc is awesome and clay is very good for cleaning out the skin. It will make your face less shiny. But here is the thing: don't use it for a long period of time because the skin cannot handle so much and it will dry out. So I use it for 2 weeks, then stop and use moisturizer, and then back.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is my absolute favourite product in my make up bag. I have oily/spot prone skin - this never irritates it, minimises the greasiness of my skin, works as a fantastic base for my foundation and is easily absorbed. Oh, and it smells fresh - like cucumbers! I can't recommend it enough.

on 7/8/2006 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This moisturizer was just OK. Not better, nor worse than other cremes. I will however not repurchase, because it did nothing for my skin except for the moisturizing. There was no mattifying effect at all. And the tube is really tiny, so it's kinda expensive in the long run.