REVLON Charlie Red

REVLON Charlie Red

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Oh what a warm, sexy, sweet woody tuberose scent! This is a lot softer than you might think from the Charlie line--no harsh loudness here at all. It opens on me with a soft blast of violet, a hint of peach, and the sweet tuberose which carries throughout. I get a bit of gardenia and orange blossom, but nothing overly heady as white flowers can sometimes be.
The drydown is all tuberose, amber, woods and musk with a tiny hint of spicy carnation for good measure. This one is a classic, well worth hunting down. It is sexy without being over the top, and I can't stop sniffing myself today!
(crosspost)

on 12/26/2013 10:02:00 PM

On me Charlie Red smells like a more wearable version of White Diamonds. Whereas White Diamonds can be overpowering and has a cool, crisp and almost sharp drydown on me, Charlie Red is much softer and warmer. At the same time it is bright enough to be a party perfume and spicy enough to be a sexy evening perfume.

This is incredibly versatile and I feel comfortable just wearing it when I go shopping and knowing I won't overpower the people around me. Having said that, it is tenacious. I find it works best sprayed on my torso under clothes, and brushed through my short hair. I've had numerous compliments when wearing this fragrance so it seems to work with my body chemistry.

Longevity: 8-12 hours (and my skin tends to kill some supposedly strong perfumes). This is the longest lasting fragrance I have (the second being Ciara also by Revlon).

Sillage: soft/moderate in cool weather but moderate/strong in very warm weather when it wafts around me like a lightly fragranced cloud.

My only gripe is not with the perfume but with Revlon marketing. In Australia you can only purchase the Charlie perfumes in 100ml bottles. Frankly this means that sometimes the perfume can begin to turn before using it all up, and also it means you can't carry it around for touch ups. I'd dearly love to be able to get it in 15 ml purse size bottles. This review is for the eau de toilette. I have not smelt the body spray.

15 January 2015 Edit: This is fast becoming one of my favourite fragrances. It's summer in Australia and many perfumes are just too heavy for the warmer weather. I find I can wear this one every day, regardless of how hot it is. It never becomes overly sweet or sickly. I've had quite a few compliments when wearing it. Even my mother who is sensitive to fragrance likes it. Moreover it makes me feel pretty and sexy. I love the fact that it is light enough to wear almost anywhere but still makes me feel sexy.

I received this as a gift a while ago and still haven't really used up the entire bottle. For a lot of people this may be their cup of tea and it's the same with all fragrances - some people like it some people don't. I just don't like it. It's too strong for me, and it kind of reminds me of the smell in an old folks home for some reason? (I'm sure that's just me though.) If you're into really strong womanly smells then I'm sure this will be a nice perfume for you! It's just that it's too strong for my taste. :-)

I remember the huge poster of Claudia Schiffer in a gorgeous red silk dress at Myer department store Sydney in the early 90's. The scent wafting in the air and it was wonderful but it didn't persuade me enough to buy it as I was too young to wear this kind of scent. Fast forward to 2011 and I took another sniff. It smells just as wonderful, warm, inviting but not cloying. Got a huge 100ml eau de toilette bottle with a free 50ml thrown in for only $15!. Lasting power on me is about 4 hours, which is the standard for EDT. The bottle is very basic, but the scent is not. Orange blossoms, jasmine, gardenia along with amber and musk.

i'm no perfume snob - i like my cacharel and arden scents just as much as anything high end - but having said that, i usually avoid the super cheap perfumes that sit on the shelf with the deos and body sprays, just because they seem a little... i dont know, childish almost! i remember when i was 14 or so, i had bottles of the different charlie scents, and exclamation too... when i first got a bottle of versace red jeans, i thought i had 'graduated' into the world of grown up perfume! dear oh dear.... anyway, back to charlie red... i got a huge bottle of this for a ridiculously cheap price last week, bought on a total whim, for nostalgias sake. it smells exactly how i remember it - strong and sweet! reminds me of red door. its kind of sickly, smells like synthetic flowers and honey. very VERY girly!. im giving it three lippies because, its super long lasting, and sprayed with a very light hand, its kind of cute!

on 8/11/2005 4:18:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Loved Charlie White, but hated this. I was told this was more of a sexy scent, versus a light clean scent in Charlie White. This stuff reminded me of old ladies. It was stale and just made me gag a bit everytime I sprayed it. Finally, I just threw it out. The staying power sucked too.

Quote: "they even prefer it to my much loved Hugo Boss woman intense! Cheaper IS sometimes better :)"

So true!! My situation is the same!!

This is the first perfume I ever brought, and five years later, it remains my HG and more than any other perfume I own, men love it. Unfortunately, heat tends to change the scent of Charlie Red on me, so it's a no-no for summer or even spring, which is when I would most like to be wearing it:(

When going out, I was always tempted to wear Hugo Boss because it's expensive and 'higher class'.. but that's just silly. Charlie Red wins, hands down.

I love Charlie Red because men love it! It's a nice, tingly and sweet smell, and breezy. It's vibrant without being overwhelming, and every man I know has said how lovely it is... they even prefer it to my much loved Hugo Boss woman intense! Cheaper IS sometimes better :)