Revlon Charlie Red

Price: $

Price: $

on 7/8/2013 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

EDIT - originally I thought this was rather similar to Giorgio Beverly hills, I agree but it also smells like freshly cleaned carpets in a hotel - whatever they use as an industrial carpet cleaner smells like this. Too sharp/chemically and metallic for me! Gave it away

on 5/18/2010 12:13:00 AM

o.k....this smells like Prell Shampoo on me. A green slightly spicy scent at first. It very quickly dries down to a distinctly soapy smell which truely smells like Prell to me.
This is not a bad scent. It's kind of a blast from the past in the sense that my mother always bought Prell Shampoo when I was little. I kind of like the scent. But I don't really identify it as perfume. I don't really want to smell like shampoo.

on 8/11/2005 4:18:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Loved Charlie White, but hated this. I was told this was more of a sexy scent, versus a light clean scent in Charlie White. This stuff reminded me of old ladies. It was stale and just made me gag a bit everytime I sprayed it. Finally, I just threw it out. The staying power sucked too.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a great perfume for someone on a budget! It has a lovely, spicy, sexy smell which is perfect for a date.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Here are the notes per Fragrantica.com:

Charlie Red by Revlon is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Charlie Red was launched in 1993. Top notes are orange blossom, gardenia, plum, black currant, violet and peach; middle notes are carnation, tuberose, orchid, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are honey, sandalwood, amber, musk and cedar.

It sounds like there is a lot (almost too much) going on in this bottle, but it is a surprisingly light and fruity floral that is absolutely fresh and lovely, but literally lasts about 5 minutes on the skin. Such a shame because it really IS pretty and fun. I wouldn't re-purchase but I will enjoy the 3.3.oz. bottle that I got for less than $8.00.

I received this as a gift a while ago and still haven't really used up the entire bottle. For a lot of people this may be their cup of tea and it's the same with all fragrances - some people like it some people don't. I just don't like it. It's too strong for me, and it kind of reminds me of the smell in an old folks home for some reason? (I'm sure that's just me though.) If you're into really strong womanly smells then I'm sure this will be a nice perfume for you! It's just that it's too strong for my taste. :-)

i'm no perfume snob - i like my cacharel and arden scents just as much as anything high end - but having said that, i usually avoid the super cheap perfumes that sit on the shelf with the deos and body sprays, just because they seem a little... i dont know, childish almost! i remember when i was 14 or so, i had bottles of the different charlie scents, and exclamation too... when i first got a bottle of versace red jeans, i thought i had 'graduated' into the world of grown up perfume! dear oh dear.... anyway, back to charlie red... i got a huge bottle of this for a ridiculously cheap price last week, bought on a total whim, for nostalgias sake. it smells exactly how i remember it - strong and sweet! reminds me of red door. its kind of sickly, smells like synthetic flowers and honey. very VERY girly!. im giving it three lippies because, its super long lasting, and sprayed with a very light hand, its kind of cute!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this scent. I just wish it lasted longer! I can smell a shadow of the original Charlie in there, but it's very, very light. This is a very easy to wear floral musk with the barest hint of fruit. Not too sweet at all. Very easy to wear and I think would be office friendly. Plus, you can't beat the price. There are some perfumes out there which cost 20 times more than this which aren't as nice.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

When I was looking through my mother's old things, I found a bottle of charlie red. I'd heard about this perfume, so I tried some on. At the first whiff, I got an alcoholic smell I associate with 80's perfumes - too strong, notes I couldn't really pick out individually amongst the harsh background and not nice. Then quickly, that wore off and a strong honey smell really started to be revealed as a few minutes went by. It still wasn't very nice, but I decided to persevere.
After around 10 minutes, the peach and the musk broke through, sweetened by a residual honey note. It was lovely, sweet but not really gourmand, quite soft, even slightly powdery. I went to sleep wearing it and woke up still smelling of it 15 hours after application. The smell wasn't so strong that I was constantly aware of it like other perfumes, it came in wafts. Very womanly, very sexy. Just wait for it to develop into that lovely peachy-musk before deciding if you like it or not.

on 8/21/2009 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have a large perfume collection and in the process of moving found a bottle of this. It was the first fragrance I purchased for myself. I was a teen and it was uber cheep. It smelled just as wonderful as I remembered. So I spritzed myself and went on with my day.

I received more compliments on this scent than any other. Ever. It sounds crazy but give it a try. It can be found at most drugstores and walmarts.

It has fruity plum and green top notes with orange flower, jasmine, wood and amber mid notes.

Popular Fragrances