LUSH Henna - Caca Noir

LUSH Henna - Caca Noir
Henna - Caca NoirHenna - Caca NoirHenna - Caca NoirHenna - Caca NoirHenna - Caca Noir

3.7

on 3/14/2018 5:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I went to the hairdresser to have my hair lightened and, unfortunately, I suffered a severe allergic reaction (probably a PPD allergy) the next day with facial swelling and itching. It was horrible! To make matters worse, I didn't even like my new hair colour! I'm Asian with dark brown/black hair, but my hairdresser had bleached it so that it was too light for my complexion and there was a horrible orange/reddish highlight in my hair. After a month of avoiding myself in the mirror, I decided I wanted to dye my hair back to its original colour. As I can't use chemical dyes anymore, I thought I would give henna a try.

The first time I used Caca Noir, I followed the instructions by melting the cut up blocks in a bain-marie. I have shoulder-length hair and used all 6 blocks. I then applied the Caca Noir to my hair (which had not been washed for several days and probably had some hair product in it), starting from the top layer and working my way to the bottom layers. It was an incredibly messy process and I'm not sure if I managed to coat every strand of my hair. I left the Caca Noir in my hair for 3 hours uncovered. The results were good, but not great. I think my hair was darkened by 2-3 shades, but you could still see the orange/red highlights in my hair, especially under bright lights or in the sun. It definitely toned down my hair (which I really needed), but it still wasn't dark enough to my liking. After a week, I noticed that the colour had already faded quite a bit, even though I had only washed my hair once during this time. So after a week, I felt like my hair was only a touch darker than before the treatment.

1 week later, I decided to give the Caca Noir another try, especially since the lady at Lush said that the colour would intensify with multiple treatments. This time, I grated the blocks in the food processor with the grater attachment (it doesn't stain anything if you quickly wash the bowls and blades), and so it melted more quickly and easily. I also made the mixture a bit runnier than last time so that it would be easier to apply. I had washed and dried my hair the previous evening with a clarifying shampoo. I also used clips to pin my hair in small sections, so that I could apply the mixture to my bottom layers first and work my way up to the top layers. This was definitely an easier way to apply the Caca Noir, but I still wasn't convinced that I had coated every strand. I left the Caca Noir in my hair for 5 hours uncovered. Sadly, the results were minimal to non-existent!

My hair is probably a touch darker than before the second treatment, but it will probably fade in a couple of days anyway. My hair is now dark brown with still an orange/reddish highlight. Despite the name of the product, there is no black at all in my hair. Maybe because my hair had been coloured with chemical dyes, the Caca Noir didn't work as well? My hair colour is definitely a few shades darker than before I started using Caca Noir and my highlights have been toned down a bit, but it is quite a subtle change.

Given the pfaff that is required to use and apply Caca Noir, not to mention the endless waiting time (who has 3-5 hours to do this frequently??), the results are very minimal compared to the effort required. I've read that some people even sleep with this stuff in their hair overnight! The cleaning up is massive - it's called "Caca" for a reason ;-) Be sure to line the whole bathroom with newspaper, and you may as well have the cleaning products handy to scrub the shower or bathtub after you have finished rinsing out your hair (a tip I picked up in another review).

Due to my allergy to chemical dyes, I had no choice but to use henna to colour my hair. I think the Lush henna products might be worth it if you are after a subtle colour change, if you want to use all-natural products, and if you have a whole day to spare. I don't think I would use Caca Noir again, or any other henna product.

This product was positively no good for me. It really fried my long hair. My head also burned, throbbed, and itched for about a month after using it. To be honest, the color did cover the few grey hairs that I had, but so not worth it for the damage done. I can’t do anything with it. It has lost its sheen and it’s beautiful bounce. Now, it is dull and looks like straw.

I am extremely disappointed because my long hair is ruined. It will take at least three years to grow it out. I am also surprised by the lack of customer service provided by LUSH. I emailed them several times after the incident. The first customer service representative was very dismissive. After a couple of days, another customer service representative contacted me. He was apologetic and offered to send products to improve the condition of my burned, thinned hair. I provided my home address so that he could mail the products. Some time later, I received the complimentary products: a thin slice of soap (the size of a razor blade) and another product without a name written on it that was the size of a lollipop. This is absolute unacceptable.

I bought caca noir because I was sick of dying my hair with chemical dye. I am only 21 but I have a lot of grey hair so dying my hair is something that I routinely do. There are a few things you need to know when dying your hair with henna. Know that it will be a messy application and be prepared to have it on your head for 3-4 hours if you want max results. Another thing you will need to do is cut or shred the henna with a cheese grater because it comes as a whole bar when you buy from LUSH.
After applying the henna to my head, I placed a shower cap on my head and went to bed.
LUSH doesn't give any formal instructions with the henna at the shop, (or they didn't when I bought it) so you basically just add hot water at your discretion until you have a paste-like consistency.
When you are ready to rinse, your hair will feel like a sandy mess. Be patient and use lots of conditioner.
Overall, my hair is feeling and looking good now. I am pretty happy but the henna could have covered my greys better.
Pros: natural, conditioning, a bit of grey coverage
Cons: pretty expensive, leaves hair greasy for 2-3 days, is messy and a lot of work.

I think I will look for indigo and henna powder in other places before falling back on LUSH henna. It seems a bit expensive and my hair was so greasy for 3 days after colouring.

on 11/17/2015 4:36:00 AM

I've started going grey since the last year and after using chemical colors (and regretting it) I decided to give natural colors a try. I tried regular henna and indigo as a two step process and it worked brilliantly. But it was so time consuming and messy (4-5hrs for henna and the same time for indigo). I wanted an easier process to color my hair so I turned to lush. It's a bit pricey and although the store girl said it will cover grey completely, it didn't. I grated it and poured boiling water and added a pinch of salt. i applied with a brush on sectioned front areas where the grey is predominant, then applied with hands on the rest. It wasn't difficult at all nor very messy. I left it open and let dry for 8hrs. But no color. It was white the first day. over the next four days it turned a light brown. But disappointing really. I read some more reviews and people have said that it turns hair darker over a number of applications. But honestly it's too pricey for that. I bought the caca noir block for 15 euros which lasts me three uses (Im growing out a pixie and my hair is just a bit longer than my chin. So I used a square for one use and applied twice so far, the whole block will last me three uses). The regular henna costs 1.5 euros and indigo is about 2.5. It will last me two uses. So just a cost of 2 euros compared to 5 euros for each time if I use lush.
I think I'm sticking to the two step. The results are amazing, conditions really well and lasts 4-5 weeks. Well worth the time.

on 8/12/2015 11:10:00 PM

I used Caca Noir on my originally brown hair with natural auburn highlights. I melted down the block with water, applied it to my hair and left it on for five hours before rinsing out. It cooled down my hair colour and made it darker a brown-black shade, not a jet-black nor a blue-black. It covered my natural highlights, cooling down my hair colour significantly. I am very happy with the result. However, it was very hard to rinse out the product. I rinsed it with water twice when removing it originally, however, the cocoa butter in the product left residue in my hair which took a couple of days to wash out, making my hair look greasy the day after application. However, my hair feels very soft and healthy. Lush Henna is not at all damaging and while it is a lengthy process, I would use this henna again.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I adore this product. I'm not sure how any of you had no color come out of this henna-indigo mix. I have naturally long straight dark brown hair, which goes about to the lower middle of my back. I use half of this bar and it turns my hair pitch black, although it takes up to 36 hours for the color to fully process after washing out. All I do is on second or third day hair (my head makes virtually no oil, and would take a week before showing any, so if you have oily hair do it the day you wash it) I mix this in near boiling water, and within 10 minutes I just slather it into my hair. I don't do sections or anything, that wastes my time. I do start with the roots first though, and then turn my head upside-down to do the rest. Then, I wait about 8 hours (I usually cling wrap it and sleep in it with a shower cap or something) and then I wash it out with minimal shampoo. Use sulfate free shampoo at the least, usually I make my own shampoo for this process so it doesn't destroy the bonds of the dye to my hair. After that give it a good 36-48 hours before doing a regular shampoo and conditioning process, and you'll have quite dark hair. My hair has always taken well to dye, so some people it will differ depending on hair type.

on 2/24/2015 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Felt like melting a crayon and trying to color my hair with that. This stuff didn't pigment my hair worth jack, and I tried it a few times leaving it on for over four hours.

Huge tip to all you ladies:
If you want something equally effective, way cheaper, much less messy, easier to use and easier to customize, go to your local Middle Eastern, Halal or South Asian store and buy henna for hair there. Some good brands are Jamila and Noorani. Lush is ripping you off!

on 10/30/2014 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Chiming in as an experienced user of BAQ henna and/or pure powdered indigo in various ratios from pure red to black. This is technically a one-step, indigo heavy hendigo gloss. You're probably not going to go black with this until you do it many times, which, if you have long thick hair, is NOT cost effective and a royal pita. The sure fire way to black is a 2 step process: pure powdered BAQ henna first, left to dye release properly first (colors hair red/orange), rinse, pure powdered indigo 2nd, rinse. Black as night hair. Anyway, I've just always been morbidly curious about the caca and thought at the least I'd get a nice DC from the cocoa butter, at the most maybe the elusive blue-black tinge they speak of? So my first shot I grated 1 block with a cheese grater, added some xanthan gum (for ease of application) and salt (to help the indigo stick), added hot water, and applied to my already black (soft black) hair with brown roots. I covered it, contrary to directions ... Common sense just told me to do that. Left in about 4 hrs. Rinse out was a royal pain compared to my 2-step process I use. I COd it out and color change on the root was negligible. 1 block was enuff on my short, DAMP hair. A few days later I though I'd try their way. I chopped into small pieces which was easier than grating and it still dissolved ok in the hot water. This time in addition to the x-gum and salt I added some amla which cools things down and is a great growth treatment. Lo, on my short dry hair, I ran out and had to go do another block (no additives this time). Yes, 2 cubes to cover short hair when it was dry. So this time I left UNcovered for 3 hrs. Aiming for the blue black it suggests. Um no. That hardened helmet was a triple terror to wash out. I used half a large bottle of suave condish. My roots may have gotten darker and I'm hoping will darken more over the next day(s), but blue black - def not. Oh well. I'll use up the 3 cubes and never do it again. Back to the tried and true, cheaper, easier 2 step for my black hair. 2 stars cause I like the concept and it's still nice for the hair.

on 6/8/2014 3:04:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I purchased this hoping to color my virgin hair in a natural, healthy way. There's a lot I liked about Lush's Henna and a lot I didn't like. I feel that it worked very well as a conditioning hair treatment. My hair has never been so soft, manageable, and frizz-less. I took a shower yesterday without washing my hair or conditioning it, let it dry, and my hair barely had any tangles in it. The color didn't work out as well as I would've liked it to. I have naturally brown hair that's pretty dark and it definitely made it darker but not to the extent that I was hoping. I mostly blame the color not working out on myself since this was my first time attempting henna. The mostly followed the instructions on the package, using only three blocks of the henna. I think the color would have turned out better if i had cut the blocks up smaller and used hotter water. ( I didn't let the water fully boil since I have a parakeet and I was afraid the whistle from my kettle would scare him :P) The mess wasn't all that bad, I put towels all over my bathroom just in case. But the process was long. Initially I didn't mind the smell of the henna, but no matter what I did it would not leave my hair, and it was even worse when It got wet (it smelled a little like baby food to me??) Overall, I loved how soft and healthy this made my hair, but since I didn't achieve the color I was hoping for, the process was very time consuming, and I couldn't stand the smell eventually , I don't think Ill be buying it again. I'm going to use the three blocks I have left (hopefully properly) and see how it changes my color. Maybe my opinion will change!

Overall tips:
1. break the blocks up into small enough pieces! mine were too large, so I was left with blobs of unmelted henna in my hair that would flake off when I put it on.
2. Use hot enough water! I believe if I had hotter water the henna chunks would have melted better.