LUSH Henna - Caca Noir

LUSH Henna - Caca Noir

3.8

I bought caca noir because I was sick of dying my hair with chemical dye. I am only 21 but I have a lot of grey hair so dying my hair is something that I routinely do. There are a few things you need to know when dying your hair with henna. Know that it will be a messy application and be prepared to have it on your head for 3-4 hours if you want max results. Another thing you will need to do is cut or shred the henna with a cheese grater because it comes as a whole bar when you buy from LUSH.
After applying the henna to my head, I placed a shower cap on my head and went to bed.
LUSH doesn't give any formal instructions with the henna at the shop, (or they didn't when I bought it) so you basically just add hot water at your discretion until you have a paste-like consistency.
When you are ready to rinse, your hair will feel like a sandy mess. Be patient and use lots of conditioner.
Overall, my hair is feeling and looking good now. I am pretty happy but the henna could have covered my greys better.
Pros: natural, conditioning, a bit of grey coverage
Cons: pretty expensive, leaves hair greasy for 2-3 days, is messy and a lot of work.

I think I will look for indigo and henna powder in other places before falling back on LUSH henna. It seems a bit expensive and my hair was so greasy for 3 days after colouring.

on 11/17/2015 4:36:00 AM

I've started going grey since the last year and after using chemical colors (and regretting it) I decided to give natural colors a try. I tried regular henna and indigo as a two step process and it worked brilliantly. But it was so time consuming and messy (4-5hrs for henna and the same time for indigo). I wanted an easier process to color my hair so I turned to lush. It's a bit pricey and although the store girl said it will cover grey completely, it didn't. I grated it and poured boiling water and added a pinch of salt. i applied with a brush on sectioned front areas where the grey is predominant, then applied with hands on the rest. It wasn't difficult at all nor very messy. I left it open and let dry for 8hrs. But no color. It was white the first day. over the next four days it turned a light brown. But disappointing really. I read some more reviews and people have said that it turns hair darker over a number of applications. But honestly it's too pricey for that. I bought the caca noir block for 15 euros which lasts me three uses (Im growing out a pixie and my hair is just a bit longer than my chin. So I used a square for one use and applied twice so far, the whole block will last me three uses). The regular henna costs 1.5 euros and indigo is about 2.5. It will last me two uses. So just a cost of 2 euros compared to 5 euros for each time if I use lush.
I think I'm sticking to the two step. The results are amazing, conditions really well and lasts 4-5 weeks. Well worth the time.

To Read all 60 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/12/2015 11:10:00 PM

I used Caca Noir on my originally brown hair with natural auburn highlights. I melted down the block with water, applied it to my hair and left it on for five hours before rinsing out. It cooled down my hair colour and made it darker a brown-black shade, not a jet-black nor a blue-black. It covered my natural highlights, cooling down my hair colour significantly. I am very happy with the result. However, it was very hard to rinse out the product. I rinsed it with water twice when removing it originally, however, the cocoa butter in the product left residue in my hair which took a couple of days to wash out, making my hair look greasy the day after application. However, my hair feels very soft and healthy. Lush Henna is not at all damaging and while it is a lengthy process, I would use this henna again.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I adore this product. I'm not sure how any of you had no color come out of this henna-indigo mix. I have naturally long straight dark brown hair, which goes about to the lower middle of my back. I use half of this bar and it turns my hair pitch black, although it takes up to 36 hours for the color to fully process after washing out. All I do is on second or third day hair (my head makes virtually no oil, and would take a week before showing any, so if you have oily hair do it the day you wash it) I mix this in near boiling water, and within 10 minutes I just slather it into my hair. I don't do sections or anything, that wastes my time. I do start with the roots first though, and then turn my head upside-down to do the rest. Then, I wait about 8 hours (I usually cling wrap it and sleep in it with a shower cap or something) and then I wash it out with minimal shampoo. Use sulfate free shampoo at the least, usually I make my own shampoo for this process so it doesn't destroy the bonds of the dye to my hair. After that give it a good 36-48 hours before doing a regular shampoo and conditioning process, and you'll have quite dark hair. My hair has always taken well to dye, so some people it will differ depending on hair type.

on 2/24/2015 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Felt like melting a crayon and trying to color my hair with that. This stuff didn't pigment my hair worth jack, and I tried it a few times leaving it on for over four hours.

Huge tip to all you ladies:
If you want something equally effective, way cheaper, much less messy, easier to use and easier to customize, go to your local Middle Eastern, Halal or South Asian store and buy henna for hair there. Some good brands are Jamila and Noorani. Lush is ripping you off!

on 10/30/2014 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Chiming in as an experienced user of BAQ henna and/or pure powdered indigo in various ratios from pure red to black. This is technically a one-step, indigo heavy hendigo gloss. You're probably not going to go black with this until you do it many times, which, if you have long thick hair, is NOT cost effective and a royal pita. The sure fire way to black is a 2 step process: pure powdered BAQ henna first, left to dye release properly first (colors hair red/orange), rinse, pure powdered indigo 2nd, rinse. Black as night hair. Anyway, I've just always been morbidly curious about the caca and thought at the least I'd get a nice DC from the cocoa butter, at the most maybe the elusive blue-black tinge they speak of? So my first shot I grated 1 block with a cheese grater, added some xanthan gum (for ease of application) and salt (to help the indigo stick), added hot water, and applied to my already black (soft black) hair with brown roots. I covered it, contrary to directions ... Common sense just told me to do that. Left in about 4 hrs. Rinse out was a royal pain compared to my 2-step process I use. I COd it out and color change on the root was negligible. 1 block was enuff on my short, DAMP hair. A few days later I though I'd try their way. I chopped into small pieces which was easier than grating and it still dissolved ok in the hot water. This time in addition to the x-gum and salt I added some amla which cools things down and is a great growth treatment. Lo, on my short dry hair, I ran out and had to go do another block (no additives this time). Yes, 2 cubes to cover short hair when it was dry. So this time I left UNcovered for 3 hrs. Aiming for the blue black it suggests. Um no. That hardened helmet was a triple terror to wash out. I used half a large bottle of suave condish. My roots may have gotten darker and I'm hoping will darken more over the next day(s), but blue black - def not. Oh well. I'll use up the 3 cubes and never do it again. Back to the tried and true, cheaper, easier 2 step for my black hair. 2 stars cause I like the concept and it's still nice for the hair.

on 6/8/2014 3:04:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I purchased this hoping to color my virgin hair in a natural, healthy way. There's a lot I liked about Lush's Henna and a lot I didn't like. I feel that it worked very well as a conditioning hair treatment. My hair has never been so soft, manageable, and frizz-less. I took a shower yesterday without washing my hair or conditioning it, let it dry, and my hair barely had any tangles in it. The color didn't work out as well as I would've liked it to. I have naturally brown hair that's pretty dark and it definitely made it darker but not to the extent that I was hoping. I mostly blame the color not working out on myself since this was my first time attempting henna. The mostly followed the instructions on the package, using only three blocks of the henna. I think the color would have turned out better if i had cut the blocks up smaller and used hotter water. ( I didn't let the water fully boil since I have a parakeet and I was afraid the whistle from my kettle would scare him :P) The mess wasn't all that bad, I put towels all over my bathroom just in case. But the process was long. Initially I didn't mind the smell of the henna, but no matter what I did it would not leave my hair, and it was even worse when It got wet (it smelled a little like baby food to me??) Overall, I loved how soft and healthy this made my hair, but since I didn't achieve the color I was hoping for, the process was very time consuming, and I couldn't stand the smell eventually , I don't think Ill be buying it again. I'm going to use the three blocks I have left (hopefully properly) and see how it changes my color. Maybe my opinion will change!

Overall tips:
1. break the blocks up into small enough pieces! mine were too large, so I was left with blobs of unmelted henna in my hair that would flake off when I put it on.
2. Use hot enough water! I believe if I had hotter water the henna chunks would have melted better.

on 6/20/2013 12:39:00 AM

So so so good. So nourishing.

I always aim for the darkest possible black-like shade I can get with the caca noir and I've been really successful at getting black out of it so I'll share how.

I tried all the variants.. coffee.. etc etc.. below is what works for me.

I grind up the block with a grater. I have fine medium length hair so I get 3 goes out of a whole block. I grind it all up in one go so I have easy access to repeat the process if I feel like it. You can grate it by hand but I have a food processor with the grating attachment so I just use that. :)

I boil up some water, mix it in with the desired amount of grated caca noir 'til I get a yogurt like consistency, cut a lemon in half and juice it whole with my hands, and maybe a pinch of salt, mix it all around with a fork for a few minutes.. sometimes after mixing I put it in the fridge for a half an hour to cool it down (some say that brings out the cooler black tones) and then I put it on my hair and leave it in for 4 hours minimum.

after 4-6 hours I'll rinse it out, and usually put it on again overnight. Then maybe again do it in the morning. Compounding it both makes the color darker AND makes it last much longer so if I have 2-3 free days I don't mind.

When I rinse the henna out I usually have a bath and after I'm done soaking in the water I just submerge myself and work out all the henna/clumps/whatever out of my hair. I don't clarify it with conditioner or shampoo as I've heard that washes out a lot of the henna/indigo and the color continues to develop over the next few days so I leave it be. It doesn't make any visual difference just had a bit of that earthy smell especially if it gets wet. I usually keep rinsing until the water doesn't look green anymore. Or if I do the bath method I'll come out and have a 2 minutes rinse in the shower to make sure I got it out. Maybe I'm just used to the process but I don't understand when people complain about how much work it is I find the caca noir's to be easy as pie.. just time consuming but w/e.

When I first got into the henna it took me 6-9 goes to get down to that dark cool black I'm after. Don't get me wrong it's a natural black not jet black like you'd get out of box dyes. After I got the desired color I touch it up once every 4-6 weeks.

My hair's always been weak and fragile and super thin but since I've been using the noir the breakage went away. Though it should be noted I've combined the caca noir treatments with all sorts of lovely kerastase products and generally been showing my hair a lot of love so meanwhile all the credit isn't due solely to the caca noir, I don't think I would have the same fantastic results without it.

Hope this helps, happy hennaing!

on 3/17/2013 8:53:00 AM

This is an amazing product.

I've got naturally very dark brown hair that started to go grey in college, so I've been dousing my head in chemical dyes for 17 years. Now that my grey hair is up to about 15% (and very obvious against my dark hair), I found myself re-dying every three weeks, which has made me extremely concerned about the chemical dyes and their long-term, cancer causing potential - plus, my hair had started falling out when I washed the dye out...eek.

After a bunch of research, I found the Lush Cacas and where have they been all my life? Finally got up the courage to do it last night, and so happy right now. Here's what I did:

1) Mixed two bars of Noir with one bar of Brun (wasn't trying for jet black, just to mimic my natural dark brown color and cover greys)
2) I grated the first bar of Brun, then got lazy so just put the two Noirs into a freezer bag and whacked it with a hammer. This worked fine, though I think that grating would be better if you've got the patience since I ended up with some small lumps
3) Dumped it in a glass bowl and poured hot water from the tea kettle on top to make a brownie batter consistency - I had no problems with dripping since I splashed in a little water at a time and left it fairly thick - I whisked it all together with a wire whisk.
4) Covered the area with newspaper, put on gloves, and slapped onto my head. I had sectioned my hair previously and so I worked from back to front. I also tried putting it on with a small brush, by it was much too thick for that and I think best approach is just to smoosh it into your hair with your hands
5) When done, I twisted each section into a muddy little bun and just smushed them onto my head, where they stayed pretty well
6) Let it air dry for an hour or so, then wrapped up in saran wrap with a shower cap on top and went to bed.
7) Left it on for about 10 hours total
8) Washed off this morning - could not wait - used conditioner and definitely missed some. Still some gritty patches, must be more vigilant next time.
9) Dried my hair - and perfect! Color is exactly what I wanted, white hairs have a slightly more coppery cast but blend in perfectly. Hair feels a little lank and greasy - I have fine hair so I think all the cocoa butter is a lot for me, but that will wash out.
10) I've also read that the Caca works best when it's fresh, so I stored my leftovers in a tupperware type container to help them stay fresh.

This is a great product that does exactly what it says it does. I was very worried about the smell after all the comments, but it really didn't bother me - certainly not after years of using toxic chemicals. I can still smell it a bit now that it's washed out, but no biggie.

Mixing and applying is slightly more involved/messier than conventional hair dyes, but not difficult and with the thicker consistency, I didn't think it made much more of a mess than box dyes. This stuff was also easy to clean up - I just put coconut oil around my hairlines and it didn't stain my skin at all. It also wiped up easily from the shower, just blasted it with water. The only thing that is a major PITA is waiting sooooo much longer for it to develop. Sleeping in it was do-able, but not the greatest - I think I prefer that to hiding in my apartment for the better part of a day, though.

AND...my hair feels super soft and it's super shiny. Seems thicker as well, which is awesome since my hair is very fine.

Will see how this holds up, but right now am planning to never return to chemical dyes and seems like I can touch up every two weeks or so (hopefully for just a couple of hours) and then maybe do the full sleeping process every four weeks. Well worth it for healthy hair with no greys and no carcinogens.

Here are two before pics:

Full Size Image

And here are two after pics:

Full Size Image

UPDATE: The second time I did this, I used the leftover Noir and some new Brun. I think it dries out, because this time it did not smash well at all and it melted with huge clumps all over, didn't integrate well, and didn't cover my greys because application was very imprecise. So it definitely needs to be grated, especially if you have product that wasn't just purchased. Other than that, super happy with it. Color stays put and hair is shiny with amazing texture.

Popular Hair Treatments