Paves No Sulfates Allowed Repairing Shine Shampoo

No Image

3.9

on 6/30/2004 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I got this because I think it is the only drugstore shampoo that does not contain sulfates. It doesn't lather very well so I usually have to wash my hair twice with this. It has a strong herbal scent which some people will not like. It also has a top that you twist to open.

Update: This shampoo has a great scent, but it is harsh and drying.

I agree with the previous post about the low-lathering of this shampoo. It also
didn't feel all that conditioning to me, more squeeky clean. The smell is very
pleasant, and when followed with the conditioner, my hair was left very silky and manageable.

I have oily roots & normal hair. I like this. I cant afford Aveda. This makes my hair so nice.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Cool

I like the fact that this shampoo has no harsh sulfates even though I'm sure it has "other" harsh things in it to make up for not having the sulfate in it. If that made any sense. It smells like fruity pebbles cereal, not bad. It doesn't lather at all so you have to use a lot of the product in one use. I like the all the essential oils and soy ingredients listed in it, more natural instead of chemical. I have scalp problems and this made it feel great. It does leave my hair tangly and hard to comb through so I have to use a strong conditioner. For a drugstore shampoo, it's ok.

on 9/14/2004 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Thanks to the hair board for this rec. So far I'm loving this very affordable but high-quality poo. Personally I love the smell--like lavender, bergamot, and herbs to my nose. This doesn't lather a ton but it does lather, plenty for me. Feels good, cleans well and leaves my hair soft. I'm hoping the lack of sulfates will be only a good thing for my hair and sometimes-dry scalp. Will update if necessary. Also reviewed the conditioning milk. Update: I'm in love with this poo/cond. My hair is more manageable, and it just behaves without a fight and has less frizz. yay!

on 9/28/2004 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For those that whine/pine about the lack of lather and believe that suds=cleans, I challenge you to compare the list of ingredients on your average bottle of shampoo with the ingredients on your bottle of dishwashing detergent: notice what is listed up in the top 3 ingredients? “Sodium Laurel Sulfate.” Now think about that for a moment, especially all of you that spend 100s of dollars every year getting your hair professionally colored – would you DARE wash your hair with a palmful of Dawn dishwashing liquid? Of course not. But if you are using a shampoo that contains sulfates, you might as well be....

Now, on to my actual review: I love this shampoo and use it as a replacement to my way-overpriced Pureology shampoos, which I can only purchase at a fu-fu boutique at one store on the opposite end of the city where I live. Not only is the Paves shampoo just as effective as the Pureology, it’s a heckuva lot easier to come by as I can buy it at my local Walgreens or Target. I’m also a huge fan of the Paves “In the Spotlight” Shine Serum, which is a much better product than my former HG, Pureology’s “Shine Max,” for which I wrote the first MUA review. If you love shiny hair, but hate the potential for greasy or limp hair, you seriously need to try the Paves shine serum. Anyway, if you get your hair professionally colored and you DON’T use a shampoo free of sulfates, you might as well be p*ssing your money down the drain. And because this Paves shampoo is just as effective as other sulfate-free product lines out there, this will be the one I reach for so I can save the leftover money to buy myself a great new bag or pair of shoes!

BTW, just for grins, you ought to compare the ingredient list of your average bottle of shampoo, dishwashing detergent and tube of toothpaste sometime -- who knew that the evil sulfates also reside in your tube of Crest or Colgate, as well...I guess that means that in a pinch, you could wash your hair or clean your dishes with toothpaste! continued >>

on 10/16/2004 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is the stuff Jessica Simpson uses, and she has great hair, so I thought I'd try it. Now I can't live without. It doesn't lather like other shampoos, which may take some getting used to for some people, but it's worth it. I have gotten tons of compliments on how soft my hair is. My hair is silky and my scalp problems are greatly reduced. Use it with the conditioner. I only wash every other day.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This stuff is weird, and I'll tell you why. I was expecting a lather, but this is more like a cream. I thought I wouldn't make my extra dirty hair clean, but after my usual two shampoos, the dirt and itch was gone. I kinda like it. By the way, it really smells like the hemp products from the Body Shop.

on 11/12/2004 4:01:00 PM

I truly loved the way my hair looked when I used this. The problem was that there's something in it that I'm allergic to and my scalp breaks out and I get huge flakes that make my scalp bleed. Wish it weren't so!

on 11/21/2004 3:46:00 AM

I was excited to try this product because of all of the raves on the boards. I loved the smell, but this left my hair very dry and with tons of tangles. I'm not usually prone to tangles either! My husband tried it and also complained that it dried out his hair -- and he is NOT the type to fuss over his hair. At $3 it's worth a try, but I won't be repurchasing. I have thick, somewhat coarse, dry hair.

Popular Shampoos