3.7

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 years ago

I have extremely fair (NC10-15) skin, and picked up a full size "refill" pan of this locally on major sale for just under $3 in the shade "20 Watts". The shade looked like a good match for my skin tone, and for a new unopened tarte brand product on sale for less than $3, I was more than happy to try it! After using this for over 6 months, I am even happier that I found this product. My skin tends to be on the dry side, and this "powder foundation" doesn't ever look cake-y or overdone. It helps lightly even out my skin tone, brighten up, & smooth my entire complexion after I apply concealer & before I apply blush. It is wonderful for touch-ups in between, too!

About reviewer (17 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinDry, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

3 years ago

I stumbled upon this in TK Maxx for £3 in color 80 watts, I believe it's the deepest shade and I use it as a bronzer on my nc25-30 skin tone. It's a beautiful tan, rich but with the right balance of yellow and brown in it so it doesn't run orange in color. It isn't overwhelmingly illuminating and glides on like a dream. Benefit Hoola is a cooler lighter shade for comparison. The stila lasts for ages & doesn't slide (only when I wear matchmaster 2.0 but think that's down to the foundation not the powder) I apply to my cheekbones and lightly on bridge of my nose, top of forehead & bottom of chin. It's perfect & you get hold of it online very inexpensively. I'm wearing it on my profile pic if you want to see it in the flesh.

About reviewer (33 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

2.0

4 years ago

I researched this soooo heavily before I bought it, swatching it and multiple others in store to see if it was what I wanted. I wanted to replace my Body Shop All in One Face Base which is really soft and buttery but still had a medium coverage. They are impossible to find now due to lack of stores, and I didn't want to order online as I might have wanted to change shades but wasn't sure. Even though it's marketed as a powder foundation I used it either over concealer or even on top of another foundation, (usually water based) as a finishing powder for added coverage. So I was looking for something similar. I looked up and swatched the Too Faced powder foundation and also the Tarte Double Duty powder but ended up with Stila in 30 watts. One thing about this line is that there's only 6 shades to choose from and the colors hardly looked different from each other anyway. But it seemed the closest to my skin tone out of all the brands I swatched and it had good reviews. It even was cheaper because I just bought the refill, and it looked like it would have fit perfectly into my Body Shop compact as well. But I have to say, it wasn't for me. It's a little flat and chalky, and I just didn't find it flattering when I applied it. It might work better for oilier complexions though I wonder if it would ball up or stick to the oil. I didn't think I was overly dry and it's hard to even put my finger on what exactly was wrong with this, but it just didn't flatter me at all. The color wasn't too bad - it also wasn't great - but it was the formula more so that made me return it. Just for reference, the Too Faced was either too light or too orange (very small color range as well), and people had said some of the shades in the Tarte were too orange, but I did end up getting the second shade in the Tarte Double Duty instead. The Tarte DD is really soft and has a great feel, so for those who find this too dry like I did, I recommend that one instead.

About reviewer (703 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinSensitive, Fair, Warm

HairOther, Wavy, Coarse

4 years ago

I picked this up a few weeks ago as a replacement for my Jane Iredale Purepressed Base. I found that it was a lot harder to get out of the pan than the tester. I also found that it didn't have enough coverage for me, which is too bad because the actual powder is wonderful. It doesn't settle into pores or fine lines and gives a really nice semi-matte yet luminous finish. I'm going to return it because in my opinion it isn't worth the $37 (CAD) that I paid, and my top priority in a powder foundation is the coverage.

About reviewer (446 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

4 years ago

I've been using this foundation since 2004! It is the product I was searching which led me to makeupalley :-) I love powder foundations for my oily skin as it is super quick and gives great coverage. I may stray but always come back to this. My favorite way to apply it is to use a damp beautyblender sponge. I can layer it and it never looks cakey. The illuminating quality keeps the powder from looking too matte or flat. Just beautiful glowing skin. I hope they never discontinue this.

About reviewer (426 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Coarse

4 years ago

Okay, so this powder freaking rocks. It is gorgeous, blurs pores, makes your complexion look smooth as hell despite any bumps you may have, doesn't break my v. sensitive skin out, controls oil quite well, and the colour match is on point (I wear 10 watts and it's actually light enough for me and not yellow or pink, yay!). HOWEVER. What the f*** is up with this whole "spend $40 on a powder cake and then fork out another $20 for the compact", are you kidding me? I would be less pissed off if the compact was high quality. NOPE. It's flimsy plastic, and not even attractive. Paying $20 for an EMPTY COMPACT would be worthwhile if it was actually nice. I've bought drugstore powders for $20 alone that had nicer compacts than this. Douchebags. I reluctantly bought the compact because the powder is the best I have used, I really love it and it makes my skin look gorgeous. I wear it over Stila stay all day foundation and the finished look is flawless and glowing. Stila, you're alright. I GUESS.

About reviewer (26 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBrunette

5 years ago

Over the course of eight to ten years, I probably bought this product at least 4 or 5 times. It wasn't the only foundation I used and sometimes I used it over a tinted moisturizer so it wasn't the only coverage I had. I would hop around among foundations depending on my needs, the weather, etc., and abandon the ones that didn't work out. I did repurchase this several times and have been thinking of buying it again because I was disappointed by some of my other products recently. This and MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation were my two faves for about ten years. The main difference between the two is that Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation (IPF) has less coverage than Studio Fix and to me the finish has always felt a little drier. I loved it for a quick blot over a tinted moisturizer or liquid foundation and to add a little extra coverage. It has more pigment than a setting powder and in my opinion it provides more coverage than Bobbi Brown Skin Weightless Powder Foundation, but less coverage than Chantecaille's Powder Foundation. PROS: Great for oily skin. I always had fewer breakouts with this and MAC Blot Powder than with other powders. My color is 10 Watts and it blends imperceptibly. Lovely color match. I love ivory shades that are actually neutral and look like a flesh tone found in nature, thank you! Stila's 10 Watts is one of the few beautiful pale shades available. Most brands get it wrong by going heavily pink, which makes people look sick. (I could almost wear 20 watts but if I'm using it over a liquid foundation, 20 watts lays down too much color.) Handy to carry in my bag. Doesn't cake and never looks heavy Has some SPF benefit CONS: I don't like relying on this as my only foundation. I actually like it best over a light coverage liquid foundation or a tinted moisturizer or BB cream. This is sheer. Having to buy the refillable compact and powder cake separately can be annoying. You do save money on the refill cake but it's difficult to get the old one out (sticky glue) and put the new one in. The plastic compact is okay, but not particularly attractive (Kat Von D's powder compact IS attractive and hefty), and if Stila wants to encourage recycling by having the customer buy a refillable compact, Stila should make the refillable compact 1) stronger, to withstand several uses; 2) prettier, so it feels like it's worth hanging onto; and 3) magnetic, so it's not such a pain to replace the old pan with the new pan. If the compact were sturdier and beautiful, and easier to refill, I think there would be fewer complaints about it. When you buy the compact and powder cake together it's $42 ($28 USD for the powder and $14 for the refillable compact). So it's not the most expensive powder foundation out there, but definitely not cheap either. I always felt that I needed to wear more sunscreen than this for adequate UV protection. Summation: Definitely one of the best powder foundations I've bought, or I wouldn't have bought it so many times. I would and most likely will buy it again as it works nicely as a setting powder and sheer coverage foundation, and the colors are realistic flesh tones. Stila has kept this around since the '90s because it has continued to be a favorite and a top seller.

About reviewer (827 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

1.0

5 years ago

After using this for about six months I realized that this powder was causing me to break out around my chin and cheeks. It may be the talc in the product. I really am not sure. I think it has adds great coverage when used in tandem with a foundation or your choice or the Stila Stay All Day Foundation as a setting powder, otherwise it is too sheer for those looking for more coverage. It could work well for individuals with oily or combination skin as it is moisturizing and doesn't magnify dry areas. If you have sensitive, fair, or acne-prone skin try something else just to be safe or try this product out in one small area before adding to your entire face. I should have done that instead of diving right in and using it. I dislike giving bad reviews because it wasn't a bad product it just didn't work for me.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

6 years ago

I bought a refill of this powder on sale and am so glad I did! Very silky texture and light to medium coverage. Covers small blemishes and uneven skin tone nicely and I sometimes use it over liquid foundation for fuller coverage

About reviewer (13 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

3.0

7 years ago

I'm currently using Bobbi Brown long wear even finish compact foundation, the new version of the oil free that was discontinued but damn it was bloody expensive and the new version was sooo natural that i didnt see any difference when i put it on.Then a fren recommended this, and why not give it a try. The powder matched my skintone watts #60, C4. it was beautiful when i put it on, very natural...second to bobbi brown but it oxisidized after 1hour!! It turn slightly orange... I think i stick to BB... skintone match, doesnt oxidise & make me look so natural...not made up. This powder is best for dry or normal skin. otherwise its good.

About reviewer (24 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Tan